TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

My diet / nutrition coach wanted me to really up my calorie intake while I was recovering. I was already in the habit of eating every couple of hours, so I increased my protein and fat intake based on his recommendation. I was very lucky that I didn't deal with any nausea from the meds.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
These replies are very validating. I thought I was going nuts w the increased hunger. Thank you.
 
Your body is telling you that it needs more fuel, to help it heal. That's why you're hungry, Jenn. Remember how the energy drain sucks all the energy from your body, to heal your knee? Well, that energy going to heal your knee needs fuel, and eating more will provide the fuel.
 
Ah Jenn, just what you didn't need; aargggh! Does a small, protein snack alleviate the shaking?
 
My granddaughter has celiac so I have to keep gluten free snacks for her. I keep GF pretzels sticks and individual serving cups of peanut butter. No refrigeration needed and tons of protein. Might help if blood sugar is dropping.
 
Jenn, I think what you're describing in terms of pain is undermedication at night. I suggest you take the two percs at bedtime and also at your 1:00 dose. If you try to take your dose early, that's really not going to fix your problem other than just that one time. That's not what you want. Remember, you are still very early in this recovery process and there is nothing wrong with needing that extra boost of pain medication to rest at night.

Try that for a few nights and see what happens.

As for the food, how about some supplement drinks like Ensure? They are a great snack with lots of protein. Your body may need additional nutrients right now, so eating more frequently is fine. You definitely don't want shaky feelings! That would seem to indicate a drop in blood sugar. More protein at regular intervals should keep you feeling better.
 
Had a decent night last night. Took 2 percoset at 1am. Woke up at 3 to go potty, meds werent due til 5. So when alarm went off at 5, hubs woke me and I proceeded to fall back asleep til 7 without taking the 5am meds. The good news is that puts me on a much better schedule - 11pm and 3am so I should have 2 4-hr stretches, instead of 2, 4, 2.
 
It's sounds like you have it figured out! Your good night's sleep will be a huge benefit to your healing process.
 
Hi @Jennszoo, it's so good that you had good pain relief and sleep last night. Hopefully you've got this figured out, at least got some goods nights sleep for a while. Have a peaceful day!
 
Went to see Spiderman with the family. I went at 2.5w last time to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and it was ok. 10days is a bit too early. We were in the reclining seats, I brought my pillow and ziplock bags to have them fill with ice. But I just got achy around midway through and by the time I got home, I was swollen and ready for my recliner and my ice cuff. But...family time.
 
Jenn, you are so courageous going to the movies at 2.5 weeks! I hope your family knows how blessed they are to have you as their mom. Now, rest up and sleep, sleep, sleep some more! Sleep is healing!
 
Yep. I too think 10 days was a wee bit too early.
Any place near you you can get a hold of DVDs of some family film no one has seen yet and you can watch at home?
I think many families in USA subscribe to Netflix or the like. Would that not have been an option?
 
Oh yeah. We do family movie night at home. But everyone was super excited about this one bc we are big Marvel fans. And we went to the theater with the reclining seats. So it was manageable. Just not smart.
 
My usual evening malaise and bad mood from sitting in this recliner for too long. Eventually everything starts to ache and I just hate it. I want to be active again!
 
Oh @Jennszoo, if I could give you a great big hug I would. That wouldn't make it any better but I do know how you are feeling since we kinda did the same thing. Let's hang in there together. We will get through this.

This is how I am trying to think of it...I have been doing this since March 22 with about a two week period of semi normal. That's a lot longer than the normal 12 weeks - at least a lot longer to go yet. I feel bad when I get so down, but we aren't dealing with one recovery or even bilaterals which I know is really hard. These staged knees last a lot longer....you are a strong woman. Look at what you face every day not counting your knees. Time is your friend as well as your enemy right now. Prayers and hugs!:friends::roseshwr:
 
Yes, you're dealing with longer--and you're dealing with twice. You have the pain twice, and the drugs, and all the little and not so little problems of early recovery, within that "longer," which really isn't long at all. Your body and mind are under a tremendous amount of stress. Keep that in mind when deciding if you should slow down, because patience and prudence are your best friends... except the ones you have here on BoneSmart. :flwrysmile:
 
Well, I'm really happy to hear you managed to catch a good night's sleep and hope there are many more on the horizon. :happydance:

I know you're not surprised by the fallout of going to the movie theater so soon and all I can say to that is sometimes, the payback is worthwhile. I hope that was true in this instance.

As I follow your recovery journey and Becky's as well, I can hear the same recurrent theme, which is very understandable; too long a period to be down for the count! From March until July, with no apparent *perks* (other than a good Knee #1) in sight would wear down the patience of anyone. The emotional toll is huge, along with the bodily toll. I don't have any words of wisdom that you don't already know, but I will say just try to keep your focus very short to avoid frustration. Think about activities that are actually achievable right now, not the unachievable. Just look at today, not tomorrow or next week. Get through this day as best you can and *wash, rinse, repeat* for tomorrow. That's all anyone could do under these very trying conditions. :console2:
 
I am not sure, but it sounds like I am on the same journey as you. My knees were done about 5 and 1/2 months apart. The frustration of doing this whole thing twice is very real. @SusieShoes is so right. I took the last day off from everything because the irritation of my IT band against my lower leg, and I threw a tremendous pity party for myself. Although my husband was standing too close and got some on him. :( Watching him bounce right back from hernia surgery after 2 weeks did NOT help my perspective. We are allowed the grumps!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom