TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Sounds like you're ready and you will do great! Glad you got the wheeelchair ordered! That will work out great.
That airport is a nightmare :gaah:
 
You are going to do great. I fly through Atlanta all the time and you are right it's so huge! Glad you got the assist to save your energy for what you want to do!
Your next surgery will go great. We are surgery twins so remember how great the left knee is. She is totally ready. The right one is ready too. Even if you have a hiccup like I have, we are still ready. It's going to take me a little longer, but the thing is we know we are strong and we can do it. I needed to read your posts to get some fight back and girl I got my fight back! Thank you!

At some point you will ask why did you do this again....you know why. Just like me you want this behind you and to be all better. So many people asked why my PT was working on my upper body strength cause it had nothing to do with my knee. This is the reason! We have to have that strength to get ourselves up and down off the floor. Your post made me remember I got on the ground two weeks before this second surgery and weeded my flower beds. You didn't even know you gave me a kick in my butt to quit feeling sorry for myself and start fighting again, thank you!:thumb:
 
My friends with kids at sleepaway camp spend every night going "refresh refresh refresh" to check the camp website for pics! I tease them that they all bragged about the freedom they'd have all summer and yet they spend their child free evenings glued to the computer! [emoji23][emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah, so about all that walking. Plane flight was fine. Wheelchair assist through airport, early boarding, on time, landed early. Love Delta. Uber to hotel, room not too far from elevators. But we decided to walk then 1 mile to Navy Pier, which ended up being more bc we got turned around. And both knees were so miserable. Baby knee hung in there, but old knee and the ankle on that side were miserable. Taxi back but still a few blocks of walking after restaurant and then soaked some muscles in the hot tub. I crashed shortly after my girls did around 10, but couldn't keep ziplock ice pack on my knee. So it's achy and swollen this am. Gonna be a long day, but I won't be a hero. I'll uber everywhere, even if it's "just a few blocks" bc it never is, is it?

Much sitting today with the show, so that'll help. Wish me luck, friends. My girls want to do All The Things in chicago today. My knees are like...no!
 
All the Things in Chicago? For you... no, no, and no! There are too many things! Far too many. Healthy knees quake with fear at the mere mention of all Chicago's Things. (That said, you must see the Bean, and the Field Museum, and... well, what I said, too many things.).

Walking around new cities is tricky for knees. I recall meeting a friend while on a cruise stop in Portland, Maine, and she said let's just walk to this one restaurant for blueberry pie made from real Maine blueberries. And I'm like, "Yes!" This was just a year ago, with my arthritic original knees, but I'd had a cortisone shot and some Synvisc and was doing good... I thought. Until the "nearby" restaurant was more than a mile away, and then I had to walk back to the cruise ship. Just killed me. And like you said, unless you know precisely where something is, or know the city well, you can add blocks to your walking just trying to get there. At least Chicago is flat, and you are wise to think of Uber for every case.

Consider buying a cheap pair of XXL pantyhose, cutting off a good length, and using that to hold your Ziplock ice pack in place. Might work.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
 
And to be fair, the new knee is achy & swollen but the old knee is hurting, as is the right ankle. Those are bothering me worse than the baby knee.
 
I bet you're babying the baby knee without realizing it and it's catching up with you by hurting the opposite side.

I like Susie's tip about the ice bags in large panty hose.
 
Thankfull my girls have been open to a slow morning so lots of rest and icing so far. And in response to my friends "it's only a mile" I stood up for myslef and said "I'm still taking an uber". Bc what I failed to factor in yesterday was the "only a mile" was just to get there. That didn't imclude all teh walking once we arrived.
 
Oh yeah, people just don't realize that 'a little bit' to us is completely different than their 'a little bit'. Good for you for sticking up for yourself!
 
@Jennszoo, the more I read the more I cringed for you. Take care of that knee! We are so alike. It doesn't take much to make me think I can do things I shouldn't. Enjoy those girls and Chicago and keep ubering!
 
Enjoy Chicago! I am glad you are using Uber to get around. The last few times I went to Chicago, I spent most of it in the hotel between meetings because I just couldn't face walking anywhere. One day... we will tackle all things Chicago again with ease!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jennszoo Wow you are a trooper! I don't think I could do all of that yet. Have fun but take care of that knee! I will be planning a trip to Chicago soon too but I am waiting until I think I can handle it. Enjoy Chicago:cool:
 
City blocks are way different than a normal block. I'm glad you're going to Uber. When we went to NYC this winter we Ubered to the theater and back.
 
I'm so impressed you are even on that trip. I went to Chicago last year with girlfriends and have never walked so much in my life. Yes, please Uber away and take care of both of your knees. Have fun!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Survived day 2. The show was amazing. My girls and I have been Hamilton obsessed since last fall, I bought these tickets in October, gave them for Xmas - all long before I knew I even needed knee surgery. The knee was fine during the whole 3 hr show. Only a twinge about 1/2way through the 2nd act then no problems. I think my knees were just happy I wasnt walking anymore.

We ubered to the Art institute, walked around there for 90 mins, walked about .3 mi to the theater, then 1/2 mile through millennium park, then ubered back. My baby knee is warm and a bit swollen. My old knee, the one who's keaving town in exactly 1 week, is shot. Once again,I'm reminded why I'm doing this.

Home tomorrow. Looking forward to some proper icing and elevating tomorrow night.

The boy has finally appeared in some camp pics and looks super happy. I'm going to assume there's been zero meltdowns and only happiness!
 
That's encouraging you saw some happy pics of your son. Glad you enjoyed "Hamilton" and were able to sit through it relatively pain-free. I'm hoping i can sit through "Beautiful, the Carole King Story" on July 11, which i bought tickets for months ago, and dinner at a restaurant before. Have a good trip home and hopefully a day or two of rest.
 
It sounds like you are doing great! Your old knee is telling you that it is time and baby knee is handling herself splendidly!
 
So jealous... 1, because HAMILTON! And 2, because I'm from Chicago and get very homesick this time of year (I live outside Detroit).

We are planning our summer visit now. I think I'm going to push it to the end of August so it's as far from my surgery as possible!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom