Bilateral TKR Jeaniesknees. Bilateral

Hi @Jeaniesknees

I'm grateful for your feedback on my recovery thread. I thought I'd give your journal a read, since we both had BTKRs at the same time, roughly. It is interesting to me that you are only 5 years younger than I am, but you are so much more active. Today, I went to the office to get it ready to reopen on Monday. I used my walker, tried to sit as much as possible, took a nap, and now I am icing. I've mostly been at home, sitting in my recliner and doing ADLs. I'm still taking 3 Percocets a day. I don't feel at all bad about this level of activity, only wishing it could all go faster. But I'm not pushing it. I'm grateful to my knees that they are getting better a little bit each day, no matter what I do to them LOL
It maybe because we live in the mountains (big yard area) in a house with stairs everywhere. I am used to walking around a lot. Who knows why our bodies do what they do, I have had 2 days without prescription pain meds. I slept hard without moving last night and regretted it this morning! One arm and shoulder was mad and my legs were so stiff. Getting out of the blankets was a battle.

I agree about wishing it was a faster process, you have things you want to do and the legs say No Way!
 
Hi @Jeaniesknees

I'm still taking 3 Percocets a day. I don't feel at all bad about this level of activity, only wishing it could all go faster. But I'm not pushing it.

I can’t get to the exact date without navigating away from this page and losing my pending post (admitting my ignorance of computer stuff is humbling…) but did you say that you are about five weeks out?

I take emergency calls, so I am pretty sure I can’t return to work until I am off narcotics round the clock.

I’m on day 5 and feeling impatient…long way to go from here!!!
not sure who you were asking, my date was 3/2/21
 
Here is a question for a nurse, I was attacked by bees today and got about 15 stings to my face and neck. Any thing to worry about with my knees? I got enough venom to be throwing up.
 
I was an RN for over 20 years. I really don’t think the bee stings will have any effect on your new knees. If you can take Benadryl for the stings it would be helpful.
 
@Jeaniesknees
What a miserable experience.
You might want to call your MD for advice about what to take for your multiple bee stings.
Your knees should be fine.
 
Oh my gosh....I can relate.....sort of. I know how I felt when I got stung on the lower lip years ago. But it was just ONE bee sting. I feel for you with FIFTEEN! Are you doing okay? Did you see a doctor?

I agree with Pumpkln that you should check with your GP to make sure you recover from all those stings okay. They can be quite painful. Ice can help. And the Benadryl is a good idea.

Bee venom should not be a danger to your knees in any way. But I bet those stings are taking your mind off any soreness in your knees. Ouchie!!!
 
I was an RN for over 20 years. I really don’t think the bee stings will have any effect on your new knees. If you can take Benadryl for the stings it would be helpful.
Thanks for the reassurance. I am taking Benadryl and Ibuprofen for the head ache.
 
Oh my gosh....I can relate.....sort of. I know how I felt when I got stung on the lower lip years ago. But it was just ONE bee sting. I feel for you with FIFTEEN! Are you doing okay? Did you see a doctor?

I agree with Pumpkln that you should check with your GP to make sure you recover from all those stings okay. They can be quite painful. Ice can help. And the Benadryl is a good idea.

Bee venom should not be a danger to your knees in any way. But I bet those stings are taking your mind off any soreness in your knees. Ouchie!!!
I found a couple more stings I didn't know I had, the Benadryl is helping and toast for my stomach. I didn't know that the venom can make you throw up! So far no crazy swelling
 
@Jeaniesknees
What a miserable experience.
You might want to call your MD for advice about what to take for your multiple bee stings.
Your knees should be fine.
My GP's nurse just asked if I could breath. Not a lot of help. I was a bit freaked out about the amount of venom and my knees.
 
Baking soda can soothe the sting areas. It's better if it's applied right away, but if you're uncomfortable, you could try a paste with a little water. Calamine lotion works too....along with the ice. You can also take Tylenol or any NSAID if you tolerate them well for pain and discomfort.

My sting swelled up like you wouldn't believe. I looked like one of those people who put plates in their lips to stretch them out. I can't remember exactly how long I was hurting or swollen, but I suspect it was at least several days.

Any breathing problems would have been an issue as that would mean you were having an allergic reaction to the venom. That actually can be quite dangerous and would warrant a trip to the ER immediately.

One thing to watch after this event is over is that you may be more sensitive to things like stings, bites and even poison ivy. This happened to me.....some people get progressively more sensitive when they have bouts with the "poison" in their system. It's certainly not a given.....just be aware and careful going forward.
 
Thanks Jamie, I am doing pretty well, still red welts and itchy. I will be more careful with the bug bites, stings and I am already sensitive to Poison Ivy. Ugh!
I did see a picture of a lady with a gigantic bottom lip after a sting. I am so thankful I didn't react quite that badly. Just headache, nausea, and all over joint pains for about 24 hours.
 
Feeling positive

Had my 10 week check up today with the surgeon's PA. I admitted to quitting PT at week 5 and she was fine with that, just said to keep moving at home. I only have ~90-100 degrees flex and she thought that was ok too. She said when the swelling goes away things will break free and move. I think I love her !
My next goal is to go down stairs normally, I am still 2 stepping and I think it is more a habit than a necessary. Something to practice
 
So I practiced going down stairs one foot at a time for the last 2 days. Now my calf muscles are screaming. I guess I will scale back to trying a couple times a day.
Also, how long before you knee looks like your knee? mine are still round like a melon, when they bend it bulges out to the sides. I can feel my knee caps but they look odd.
 
Are you icing and elevating enough? I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or laying down for at least 3 months. This helped to get that swelling down. As long as you have a cloth between your knee and the ice pack, you can ice all time.
 
Agree with Sistersinhim! It takes a long time for swelling to resolve! That knee “might” not be pretty for a year! Try to be patient! I KNOW it’s hard! You are so early in the game. Soldier on!
 
Last edited:
Are you icing and elevating enough? I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or laying down for at least 3 months. This helped to get that swelling down. As long as you have a cloth between your knee and the ice pack, you can ice all time.
I do but Probably not enough. I also need to watch my steps and keep it down. The other day I felt good and was busy around the house and yard and did over 8,000 steps, I paid for that that night with zingers up and down my legs. That is a real sleep killer. I am watching my tracker now and am trying to stay under 5,000. If I get too close it is time to sit down the rest of the day. I do use my adjustable bed and sleep with my feet up a few inches, it makes a difference!
 
Agree with Sistersinhim! It takes a long time for swelling to resolve! That knee “might” not be pretty for a year! Try t be patient! I KNOW it’s hard! You are so early in the game. Soldier on!
Thanks! My knees were not that pretty before but they were familiar. Now they look strange. But I am starting to forget about them at times which is exciting. It is just trying to find that perfect balance of activity/rest to make them happy. Sigh.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom