THR Jean53's THR: Ups and Downs

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I showed him that it still hurts when I pick something up off the ground he said he was impressed that I can make that move.
Bet that cheered you up! But seriously, despite all the rave reviews about the anterior, for some there can be aspects that take a good while to resolve. I expect this is one of them. So you're 'only' 5 months out and maybe should remember that it's pretty early out still.
I'm also still feeling out of balance, and feel the need to be very careful with sudden moves and turns.
That's normal too - read this Leg length differential - LLD
You will adapt in time.
I take some ibuprofen daily, sometimes more than 2x a day. This helps ease it.
I never cease to be amazed how people think ibuprofen is THR pain killer of all time - it's not. It's actually a quite mild pain killer and in addition, can wreak havoc in your stomach. Try taking 1,000mgs Tylenol 3-4 times as day instead. Much more effective.
 
And all I hear is tylenol raises havoc with the liver....they all do damage. An anti inflammatory drug back in the 80's sent me to the ER with a stomach ulcer.....we knew so much less back then on side effects... I would not be without DGL daily for stomach protection and it works, and have been taking Milk Thistle for years for liver support... So far I'm ok NOW.

On the Tylenol dose, that is a lot and is this ongoing?
 
@Josephine Thanks for your message above. I'm just now getting to read it. I especially appreciate you telling me that tylenol is a much better pain reducer --- I will make that switch and see how it works.

On Sunday I had a day of moderate activity that was pain free and I thought I was in the home stretch! Then the pain returned the next day and has been unrelenting. But it was one day of no pain and I am grateful for that.
 
And all I hear is tylenol raises havoc with the liver
Only if its abuse it and an individual takes more than the 'safe' level of 4,000mg per 24hrs. I understand the FDA have reduced this to 3,000mg to protect the unwary who fail to note when cold remedies and similar over the counter meds have acetaminophen in them! Nanny state, huh?
 
I'm 16 months out from my total hip replacement and have begun having pain in the new hip. It is similar to the pain I had BEFORE surgery! Is this something I should be concerned about? It hurts most when I get up from a seated position, when I lean over to get something off the floor, or squat and rise. Other than this pain, I'm doing well.
 
What activities have you been doing lately - anything that might have caused this flare up? Changed anything? Does rest ease this pain?
 
I've been doing a little more walking than usual (dieting and trying to lose weight), but really nothing much different. In fact, I think the pain began before I began walking more. The only thing I can say about rest easing the pain is that if I'm not moving around it doesn't hurt. It doesn't hurt when I'm at rest, only when I stand from sitting, rising from a squat, or bending over to pick something up.
 
I'll tag @Josephine for her advice. She will need to know the exact area where you have pain, any medications you are taking and the types of activities you are now doing. Don't worry, she has charts to help you pin point the area of pain.
 
Here y'go! Tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Jean53's THR: Ups and Downs


[Bonesmart.org] Jean53's THR: Ups and Downs
 
Okay .... are you doing any exercises right now? If so, what kind are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
@Josephine No exercises except walking. No PT, it has been 16 months since surgery.

I should add that when I first began walking about 3 weeks ago I could only go a short distance because my muscles in my butt contracted so much and hurt. I'm up to 15 to 20 minutes most days. Which I know is not a lot, but I've lived the life of a couch potato for a long time.

I sit all day at work. I've wondered if being in the sitting position in an office chair contributes to the pain.

I worry that something is wrong with the new hip. It seems like the pain is in a place that should be "artificial".

The pain began about 4 - 6 weeks ago, before I began walking. Until that time I'd been pretty comfortable --- since January of 2015.
 
Well, that is a concern but first I'd go see a chiropractor to see of he can iron out any of those cramps in your muscles. If he can't then go see your surgeon.
 
You all sound way more energetic than myself lol I am retired, 63, 8 weeks Monday posterior and I can't even imagine walking through a store. I drove because it was left leg. I live in country, no sidewalks so I walk the length of house over and over indoors. If nice I add my little walk outside but getting too cold and rainy now. I bounce between side and back sleeping wake and every muscle hurts. I take motrin 800 which I find works best for me, hour later and not so achy. Tylenol does nothing that I notice for pain. Took my recliner I was renting back, lift that I slept in for weeks, don't like mine that I have with button on side you have to use the legs to put legs rest down once up, not to conducive with hips so I use a foot rest but may have to break down and purchase a better recliner with stick on side. Will be glad when this is behind me,, restrictions were removed at 7 weeks but I still adhere, taking it slow easing into changes just wish I had a better view while walking lol, oh and I do the golfer bend...
 
Thanks Josephine, very good article, I know I will probably have to go try a few.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom