THR Jean53's THR: Ups and Downs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had little to no pain post op and was off of all pain med when I got home from hospital. I had to go back to work on a light duty schedule at Day 5 and had totally geared my preparation, surgery, and recovery to be able to do the surgery without losing my business and roof over my head - I am my own boss! I avoided surgery for so long because I was so worried that recovery would cost me my business.

I suffered from horrible insomnia and was getting maybe 2-3 hours of sleep most days up to about 8 weeks. Never did find out why. Steady improvement with suggestions from sleep article here and personal words of wisdom from the author. Also I started taking Tylenol PM (1-2 500 mg) at night if I was having any type of pain at night. Sleep got better at about 8-10 weeks post op. Though at 4 months out - I still celebrate a whole nights sleep, can take a nap sometimes during the day, and keep a good book by my bedside to read when I wake during the night -- and I never ever had sleep problems before starting down this surgery road!
 
My 6th week was a nightmare of wakefulness and what I call the "heebie jeebies" - that jittery, restless feeling that drives ya absolutely NUTS! Now in my 7th week, I've been sleeping quite well (although still not a full night's sleep - pre-op, 2 hours at a time was good, now I'm up to 4-5 some nights and happy with that). Who knows what the difference is? I did seem to have a lot of nerve re-connection going on during that week of insomnia, with lots of zingy little sparks flying up & down my leg, so maybe that was it. I'm thankful that I didn't have to go to a job every morning (I'm retired and work on my own from home, so I took an extended "sick leave") because I probably would have bitten someone's head off from lack of sleep :tantrum2:

As for the cane - your hip will let you know when you are ready to ditch it, and even then you'll want to keep it handy for those more difficult/busy/exhausting days, or to work out the stiffness in the morning or after sitting a while. But definitely take it to work for a while yet -- it will be a visual reminder to your boss & co-workers that you are NOT healed up yet! :old:
 
@Jean53, stopping by to check in on you. Darn these people who are not acknowledging where you are and having you second guess yourself. You are the expert on yourself. If the only thing you listened to is your body, what is it saying? Is it saying, please use the cane to help stabilize me? Please give me more rest time?

I looked back over your comments, and it sounds like you are not having a lot of hip pain, but that a lack of sleep and having to do half-days at work is very draining. Is it the knee that needs the cane vs. the hip? If you're not having a lot of hip pain, are you now just on OTC meds like Tylenol? Prescription pain meds throw me for a loop. I am off them now, and I am so much clearer in the head and have a lot more energy. If my pain levels start going up as I increase my rehab (which basically means just taking leisurely walks to the point where it feels okay, and I'm not going to be stiff/sore afterwards), then I would feel entitled to go back on them. But if you feel you don't need the Tramadol, you may feel a difference in your energy levels.

Thanks for checking in on me! You are correct --- little hip pain, although it's not perfect. I would say it's the hip that needs the cane, or maybe the whole leg --- just not as strong as the other leg. Yes, I'm taking Tylenol, 500 mg, 2 twice a day, sometimes three times a day. I can't tolerate the prescription meds I was given.

I had a decent weekend with NO NAPS! Slept well Saturday night, but last night was a toss and turn night. Tried all my tricks and finally conked out about 12:30 I think. I'm finally beginning to associate Diet Coke with restless legs and have been desperately trying not to drink it. Having one in the afternoon seems harmless but come midnight I curse myself for indulging. I had one all weekend.
 
My 6th week was a nightmare of wakefulness and what I call the "heebie jeebies" - that jittery, restless feeling that drives ya absolutely NUTS! Now in my 7th week, I've been sleeping quite well (although still not a full night's sleep - pre-op, 2 hours at a time was good, now I'm up to 4-5 some nights and happy with that). Who knows what the difference is? I did seem to have a lot of nerve re-connection going on during that week of insomnia, with lots of zingy little sparks flying up & down my leg, so maybe that was it. I'm thankful that I didn't have to go to a job every morning (I'm retired and work on my own from home, so I took an extended "sick leave") because I probably would have bitten someone's head off from lack of sleep :tantrum2:

As for the cane - your hip will let you know when you are ready to ditch it, and even then you'll want to keep it handy for those more difficult/busy/exhausting days, or to work out the stiffness in the morning or after sitting a while. But definitely take it to work for a while yet -- it will be a visual reminder to your boss & co-workers that you are NOT healed up yet! :old:

HA! Yes, that has been one of the main reasons I've been bringing it with me to work! As many of you who have dealt with canes probably know, juggling a cane, a purse, and anything else is difficult -- some days it doesn't possible to have it along.

Your zingy feelings don't sound very pleasant, but I'm sure you are right it is the nerve regeneration.

The fifth and sixth week I got incredibly bored and very tired of being DOWN so I can imagine the heebie jeebies you describe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had little to no pain post op and was off of all pain med when I got home from hospital. I had to go back to work on a light duty schedule at Day 5 and had totally geared my preparation, surgery, and recovery to be able to do the surgery without losing my business and roof over my head - I am my own boss! I avoided surgery for so long because I was so worried that recovery would cost me my business.

I suffered from horrible insomnia and was getting maybe 2-3 hours of sleep most days up to about 8 weeks. Never did find out why. Steady improvement with suggestions from sleep article here and personal words of wisdom from the author. Also I started taking Tylenol PM (1-2 500 mg) at night if I was having any type of pain at night. Sleep got better at about 8-10 weeks post op. Though at 4 months out - I still celebrate a whole nights sleep, can take a nap sometimes during the day, and keep a good book by my bedside to read when I wake during the night -- and I never ever had sleep problems before starting down this surgery road!

Beginning to have a night here and there with no sleep problems --- but they are rare. Milk and crackers have helped. As has eating a little cheese. I take so many meds for allergies already I hesitate to add anything with Benadryl in it now, but I may have to! I plan to get one of those little book lights so I can read at night and not disturb my husband -- LOL.

I can't imagine heading back to work, even from home, at Day 5. You are Wonder Woman!!!
 
@Jean53, I'm glad you had the experience of one good night of sleep. This week (third week post-op) I wasn't napping, and I was staying up until 2 am, as I had the energy to do so, and would wake up at 7 am. It caught up with me on Sunday. I was tired all day but couldn't nap (tried to but couldn't). My pain levels also went up, and my ankle swelled. I went to sleep around 11:30 pm and slept until 9 am. It was glorious.

Did you have sleep issues before?
 
@cthipster Wow, I bet sleeping till 9 am was glorious!!! Wonderful! Hope you have many more nights of sleep like that.

As for sleep issues before, I had what I call restless legs for a couple of years which I'm reluctantly attributing to Diet Coke. If I don't drink a Diet Coke for several days the restless legs calm down a bunch. I know all the evils of Diet Coke and I also realize we don't NEED the stuff --- its truly supposed to be a treat, not a staple at meals. I LIKE to have one in the afternoon as a sort of snack, but I'm trying to break myself of this evil habit/addiction.
 
@Jean53, I'm still tired, so I think I'm going to go back to bed. I guess I need more sleep!

Sounds like cutting off the Diet Coke is a good idea. Maybe replace it with a combination of seltzer water and cranberry juice? Still fizzy and sweet. No chemicals.

What are your tricks when you get insomnia?
 
@cthipster My tricks when I get insomnia ---1) take a xanax. Prior to my surgery I was able to only occasionally take a half of a xanax when I got desperate. Since surgery I've been taking a whole one nightly and obviously they aren't working. Maybe I should discontinue them.... 2) milk and crackers 3) a couple of slices of cheese 4) chamomile tea. 5) reading

I've heard recently that exposure to electronic screens (like a cell phone or the tv or computer) prior to bed time can mess up your sleep patterns. I haven't gotten to the point of turning off the tv or my cell phone an hour before bedtime -- need to give that a try.
 
@Jean53, I think if I ate something or read, it would keep me up. Is there something about dairy that's a sleep inducer?

Have you tried deep breathing or meditation? The only time I get insomnia is when I'm fretting over something at work. My mind just races. Is that what keeps you up or something else?
 
@cthipster No my job is such that I don't carry a lot of stress home with me. Thank goodness. But I can work myself into fretting over other things that is for sure. Yes, I think protein at bedtime is supposed to help with sleep, but I'm not sure about that.

How has the rest of the day been for you? Did you get a nap this morning?
 
@Jean53, thanks for asking. I decided that I would try driving today for the first time (I'm on Day 22 post-surgery). I drove myself to the massage therapist, went to Trader Joe's to buy groceries, and then drive back. The three-hour outing was a little too much from a stamina standpoint.

The massage was very helpful. She said my back muscles were really tight from using the cane. She also lightly worked the operated leg to push up the fluid. Massage - highly recommended!
 
Yesterday I left my cane at home because I had done so well without it over the weekend. Mistake. Today I'm sore and tired. And I feel the blues coming over me. There is sooooo much I want to do that requires me to be my physically able --- cleaning my house is the biggest thing. I can't even empty the cat litter box yet! But I don't want this to be a pity party. Can the blues hit at any time post op? I did have them the first few weeks at home, and now again.
 
@Jean53, I think the blues can strike at any given moment, pre or post op. I have days where sadness covers me in the blink of an eye. For zero reason. When that happens, I visualize a little red devil, sitting on my shoulder with pitchfork in hand, laughing at me. Makes me so mad. So I get busy thinking about something GOOD that's happened or just try to have a thankful heart for people who love and believe in me. This surgery was as much for them as it was for me.

That sounds trite, I know, and the blues, for me, can last for days but I acknowledge that I'm feeling that way and try to work through the process of getting my rehab back on track. Think marathon not sprint.

Be encouraged. You are not alone! Prayers for a happy heart.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jean53
Don't be discouraged. Give your body the time it needs. I was thinking about it today as I am 8 weeks post op. which I changed to days ... 56 days post op.. that's not that many considering what you have been through.for you 49 days.
I found when I went without my crutch I was sore too but it forced me through the stiffness and pain ( after a few good naps )just like when they forced me out of bed the first day... the more I moved the better it felt ..eventually. Again its one step at a time. I started back at work yesterday and left early as I was sore from getting in and out of my office chair which surprised me because I was up and down at home all the time. But when you think about it your muscles that all moved and supported independently before surgery are still swollen and recovering and moving as one instead of separately which is tiring. I found I used the "golfer's" reach to pick up things and reach for items on the floor although I am not sure if that's possible with the anterior approach?

When you "look" physically well it can be deceiving to think that you should "feel" well too. Again say it in days and don't count the few when you were still in the hospital start your recovery days from when you were home. See you are doing great considering you had major surgery about 40 days ago!! ROCK ON @Jean53 :wowspring::flwrysmile:
Ingrid
 
@hipalonghopalong Thanks! You are right. :) It is incredibly soon after such a major kind of surgery. And the THR energy drain chart confirms that --- another good reminder to self.

My first few days back at work were difficult too --- that getting in and out of a chair is hard work! Plus you are not as relaxed as you were at home --- I'm sure that can be tiring.

I ventured out on my lunch hour today to pick up a few things and it helped my mental outlook considerably. We are having some gorgeous uncharacteristically cool weather for August and it was nice to be out. And, I almost forgot to add, I took an ibuprofen this morning because of my discomfort. The first I've had since surgery. I think it helped a bunch! I may begin using that instead of tylenol.

@beachgal Thanks for your words of encouragement too. I like the idea of envisioning the little red devil! I too have an ongoing struggle with blues/depression even prior to surgery. When I'm feeling blue it's hard to remember it will pass and things will seem a whole lot better; probably true for everyone who has a problem with depression. Git little devil!!! :good-bad:
 
One step forward, two steps back. I ran errands on my lunch hour yesterday, whisking through a store, pushing a cart, and gathering things up. Today I hurt from the waist down. Even my ankles hurt!!:groan:
 
@cthipster Wow, I bet sleeping till 9 am was glorious!!! Wonderful! Hope you have many more nights of sleep like that.

As for sleep issues before, I had what I call restless legs for a couple of years which I'm reluctantly attributing to Diet Coke. If I don't drink a Diet Coke for several days the restless legs calm down a bunch. I know all the evils of Diet Coke and I also realize we don't NEED the stuff --- its truly supposed to be a treat, not a staple at meals. I LIKE to have one in the afternoon as a sort of snack, but I'm trying to break myself of this evil habit/addiction.


Why not try the caffeine free version?
 
@cthipster I attribute the restless legs to the aspartame in Diet Coke. I would drink the sugary version, but don't need the sugar! LOL. Can't win for losing.
 
[ I found I used the "golfer's" reach to pick up things and reach for items on the floor although I am not sure if that's possible with the anterior approach?

I had the anterior approach. I did use the "golfer's reach" right after surgery, but I have been able to bend over and touch my toes for several days now. Occasionally I still find myself stretching into that stance though, from habit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom