THR Jean53's THR: Ups and Downs

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jean53, it sounds like you are getting better in bits and spurts. While you overdid it, you weren't afraid to try to do errands. I just completed three weeks on Sunday, so this week I tried to drive myself a couple times and run different errands. Too much too. Definitely emptied my tank and it's taken a few days to get back from being in a general state of fatigue. My ankle also hurt too!

How about cranberry juice and seltzer instead of diet coke? No aspartame and you get a little sweetness from the cranberry juice.
 
@cthipster
I'll have to give that a try! I've been drinking a product called TruLemon which has fewer evil chemicals in it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hope your energy comes back --- remember to take things slowly here in the beginning! I wasn't cleared to drive until just before I went back to work!
 
Okay here are some questions for whichever moderator handles these issues @Poppet (maybe?).

If I only have pain in my hip when I'm walking or standing, this is a normal type pain, right? No pain sitting or in bed. I do have pretty awful pain and stiffness when I get up from sitting or from being in bed, but after I walk several steps this seems to work away and become more comfortable. So is this a muscular/tendony type of pain?

And as for walking being the best type of therapy needed after THR anterior method, how much and how often?

When can/should I quit the one foot at a time approach to going up a staircase and use foot over foot? I can handle stairs very well foot over foot GOING DOWN, but going up is not great. Still a lot of pain and weakness. Just let my body tell me? (I'm beginning to realize that this is THE answer we all need to keep in mind. :snork:)

Thanks in advance!
 
So is this a muscular/tendony type of pain?
More an incisional type pain. Don't forget that for every 1cm of scar you can see there is about 4cm on internal incision. All that causes pain while it's healing and needs to be treated with respect. This is the bit that take 4-6 months minimally, to heal.
And as for walking being the best type of therapy needed after THR anterior method, how much and how often?
Who hasn't read her recovery articles lately? There in post #10. go back and read them, especially the one about Activity progression.
When can/should I quit the one foot at a time approach to going up a staircase and use foot over foot? I can handle stairs very well foot over foot GOING DOWN, but going up is not great. Still a lot of pain and weakness. Just let my body tell me?
You got it!
 
@Josephine --- thanks! I had read the activity progression post, and it just didn't sink in. I will print it off and post in a prominent place at home! Thanks again. :) The library of recovery posts have been very valuable to me. Not sure why the activity progression didn't sink in.

It makes sense that the pain is an incision pain. I've noticed some recent swelling --- I see ice packs in my evening routine!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jean53 I found the stiffness on getting up from sitting lasted many months after my THR.....one thing that helped was to do the glute squeeze exercises before you get up....also going upstairs puts a lot of pressure on the hip joint which again takes some time to disappear. However, one day you will get up & find no stiffness ( mine was around the 6 month mark).... Honestly, it will go! I don't even think about my hip anymore x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thanks! I will try that glute squeeze trick.

Related generally to my recovery:
Last week was my first full week back at work, and I finished the week feeling pretty good -- especially now that I've discovered that Ibuprofen makes me the most comfortable. Other than the stiffness and pain after rising from sitting or from bed, I am feeling pretty normal. My exhaustion is gone, thank goodness!

Two more questions for moderators --- @Josephine ? @Poppet ?

1) I've wondered about carrying fairly heavy stuff --- specifically a basket of wet laundry from the house to the clothesline outside. When is it SAFE to do that? Or is it another case of my body will tell me?

2) Prior to my surgery I dieted rigorously for about 8 weeks and lost 9 pounds. Some of that has sneaked back on because of my eating everything in sight during recovery. When is it SAFE to resume dieting? I do need to lose more weight.

Thanks! Happy Monday everyone.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jean53's THR: Ups and Downs
your thread title per your request, @Jean53.
 
1) I've wondered about carrying fairly heavy stuff --- specifically a basket of wet laundry from the house to the clothesline outside. When is it SAFE to do that? Or is it another case of my body will tell me?
Well, it's nothing to do with your implants. They were safe and secure from day one. What this is all about is mostly your Energy Drain. You're about 10 weeks out. You probably have another 2-4 weeks before your soft tissue healing is complete but another 6-8 weeks before your energy drain resolves.
2) Prior to my surgery I dieted rigorously for about 8 weeks and lost 9 pounds. Some of that has sneaked back on because of my eating everything in sight during recovery. When is it SAFE to resume dieting? I do need to lose more weight.
I wouldn't recommend dieting 'rigorously' until you are 4 months out.
 
@Josephine Thanks! I may just wait until the New Year to begin a diet. My son is getting married in May and I need to be beautiful then, LOL. And as far as carrying wet clothes to the clothesline, I'll wait a bit longer on that too. Thanks very much!
 
@Jean53 - good morning from Australia - I use a laundry trolley to wheel my washing to the clothesline. It also helps as it is higher than the ground and easier to hang the washing from waist height - would that help?

Once you get more and more mobile you will start to loose weight - check out the Nutritional section of the library for tips. :)
 
@Poppet Thank you! Yes, a wheeled basket would be wonderful. Sadly I have stairs to maneuver so I'm not sure it will work in my case. I'll just keep asking my family to carry the basket out to the line for me for the time being. :)
 
As Poppet says, as you get more active the weight will stabilise. You need all the energy now from good food. Worry not! Just get that shiny new hip healed for now.
 
This week marks my 10th week out from surgery (on Wednesday). I think I'm doing pretty well, although I did discover over the weekend that the energy drain is still in place ..... Did a bit of housework and cooking and wore myself out. After that I took it easy the rest of the weekend. I'm eager for the stiffness and discomfort to finally go away, but I know it's just a matter of time. Taking 2 ibuprofen in the morning and 1 at night. Insomnia is still a problem. Does anyone else have light-headedness when getting up from sitting? I see my GP next week for a routine visit --- hoping to share some of the minor concerns with him. Don't see OS until October.
 
Glad all going well @Jean53.......the energy drain creeps up on you, doesn't it!! You never think the stiffness will go away..but it does....I've not felt light headed on getting up but I'm sure others have.....it's good to bring your concerns up with your GP....I'm sure he can put your mind at rest.....but it all sound pretty normal to me. Hope you continue to recover well! Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Today marks 10 weeks out from surgery. Yesterday I managed to walk the three short flights (8 or 10 steps each) of stairs in my office, foot over foot, without a problem! Previously I've had pain the next day after doing stairs, but no pain today. So I'm going to move forward with using the stairs more often. Small bits of progress!
 
@Jean53 Congrats on the foot over foot stair climbing. That is a nice marker in recovery. Happy for you and hope for more speedy healing on your path
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom