THR Jean53's THR: Ups and Downs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 5 months out now from THR (anterior) and have just begun to have some stabbing nerve pain in the numb place which surrounds my incision. The area is still numb but on occasion I've had what I'm guessing is nerve re-awakening which is presenting itself with some doozy stabbing sensations. Can someone tell me if this on track? Will the numb area ever regain sensation?

I had 4 month check up with surgeon recently and he said I'm right on track. Of course I forgot to ask about the nerve pain.
 
Im only 9 months but most of my foot is either numb or doing a reenactment of thr birth of frakenstein. From what I can gather nerve recovery is slow and attaches itself to the chaos theory well. Im sipposed to see neurology but still waiting for appointment. Also when I bang it (clumsy) its a doooooozy sorry I cant tell you anything derivative

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Jean53 nerves take a loooooong time to recover. Are you taking anything for this pain? Icing? Sounds like more post op pain. See if it settles with ice and meds.
 
Thanks @Jaycey. I'm taking two ibuprofen in the morning and haven't really felt the need for anything else. Would upping the number of doses help with this?
 
I can only site my own situation. As I start to feel more "normal" I am more active. Muscles and soft tissues (and nerves) are still healing. I forget a dose of meds and begin to feel the aches and pains. Are you doing any new activity that might be aggravating that area? When does the pain start?
 
With me sometimes pain is suddenly intense I view it as body welding the damage nerves together, simple outlook but what else from me.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
It often happens when I'm sitting watching tv, so I don't think it is activity bringing it on. Honestly, I think it is the nerves waking up. I've read conflicting things on the internet about whether this numb patch (about the size of a wallet) at my incision site will ever "wake up". Some articles say it can be permanent. Like everything else with THR, its going to be a wait and see type of thing.
 
Yes last night my foot was jumping with shocks. Today I did my first heel raise since opp

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am now six months out from THR anterior approach. I still have a good deal of pain as well as tingling nerve pain in the operative thigh. Is this normal? Can one of the mods (@Josephine or @Jaycey or anyone) answer?

Thanks.
 
Hi @Jean53 , @Josephine is probably the best person to answer your question. When do you get this pain - all the time, sitting, standing, any particular activities? What makes it ease (if anything)?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey Thanks for the response. The pain is the worst when I get up from a sitting position and walk. It is also bad when I have to get anything off the floor and straighten up. The tingly nerve pains I notice the most when I'm in a seated relaxed position. I had a visit with the OS last month and he said I'm right on track and was happy with my progress. He called my walk "strong" (LOL). When I showed him that it still hurts when I pick something up off the ground he said he was impressed that I can make that move. No one has given me any limitations on what to do, other than to not run and not climb on ladders. I'm also still feeling out of balance, and feel the need to be very careful with sudden moves and turns.

I take some ibuprofen daily, sometimes more than 2x a day. This helps ease it. Not moving around, of course, helps. But I can't live like that and didn't have hip replacement to continue life in a chair.

Again, Thank you!
 
Jean, I just saw your post. I had an anterior right hip in 2010 and was doing pretty good as I knew how things could be into my 5th month and then everything went downhill FOR ME...

I have no groin pain which is the MAIN reason I did this surgery. but I am left with femoral nerve damage which keeps my thigh pretty numb and also IT band dome down side of thigh.....I've had intensive work on IT band and it's still an issue.

You MAY improve a lot more as it's still early post op but I kept waiting and waiting and and....surgery leg is shorter too, so I use a 3/4" lift in shoe. Didn't realize this until 2 yrs out or so.....I wished I had known sooner, as it's caused knee and foot/ankle issues.....

I may see another ortho MD soon and just get his opinion, I don't want to see my surgeon's face....I "think" my replacement parts are OK it's just a lot of nerve and tissue mess....

Having lower back issues doesn't help things......Thank goodness I'm retired, I was 72 at surgery date. Caroline
 
Thank goodness I sleep good as I worked long and hard for a sleep remedy as I deal with Fibro as well as OA body wide....sleep is vital. C
 
Thanks Caroline. I know that we all heal and recuperate at different rates; its just hard to keep in mind. I had become very sedentary prior to surgery because of the pain issues. I think my body just isn't very strong any more.

I hope you get some of your issues resolved Caroline. It can be frustrating!
 
Hi, I'm new to this. I hope you all heal soon. Now for me, I had LTHR 11 weeks ago. I am still hurting alot. I have severe stiffness and soreness in my groin area. I stretch 2 times daily. I thought I would be all better now. I still usemy cane. It seems like I've been taking pain meds like candy. How long will this take? I'm so frustrated and I get depressed sometimes because I feel so helpless. Any advice out there? Thanks!
 
Scott, I see you are in so. cal. me too. Did you have anterior replacement? Groin pain is the only pain I no longer have.....and I hardly used a cane but I have other issues 4 yrs post op. It's very frustrating for sure. What I expected and what I got......Caroline
 
I thought I would be all better now.
Still early days for you @scottfamilyman ! There is no set timeline for this recovery. You might want to read some of the recovery articles on this site. Better yet - how about starting your own thread in the recovery area so other members can follow your journey and give you advice based on their experiences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom