Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

I'm so glad to hear you are doing well.. I'm getting nervous.. So they did yours both at the same time? My Dr staggers them.. I'm having one on Wed one on Fri.. I'm really worried about the blues
 
Great!: My PT visit today was much better, and he cleared me for short walks outside, which puts me in a very good mood. Just a block in each direction to start with, but hey, I will take it. Just when the cabin fever starts really getting to me, I get the green light to get some sunshine. Yay.

Less great: The bottom of my right foot, from arch back to heel, has been numb since the surgery. The doc's office doesn't really know why, nor does the PT. They suspect a nerve got compressed during surgery, and don't really have a timetable for me for when sensation should start to return. Has anyone else experienced numbness post-tkr?

Thanks.
 
@Pansy727: Yes, they did mine all at once. Different surgeons address in different ways. If your surgeon has positive results from 3 day lag, then trust that!

The blues is a different matter, of course. My spirits have been better than I thought they might be till just recently, almost 2 weeks since surgery. If you get blue, you can definitely rely on this community of wonderful people for support. It's also important to have face to face contact with others--do you have friends who will visit?
 
I had numbness in that area after my surgery. Physio also thought it was a nerve, numbness lasted a good 4-5 weeks, just settling down for me now and I will be 6 weeks post op this coming Friday.
 
i have an area that is completely numb on my knee now from previous surgery.. i will probably never feel it.

i am glad i found this place.. i plan on using it alot to battle the blues!
 
@CATSMUM, thanks for the info. Are you saying you have starting to regain sensation in your foot in last week or 2? Did your doctors predict full return to feeling? I appreciate your reaching out. It's helpful to compare notes with you. Thanks.
 
Glad you have some friends to help out and visit, @jbrooklyn . It does help the blues a little when you're stuck at home.
 
@jbrooklyn , thank you so much for keeping us updated on your progress. I am only 4 days out, and it gives me great hope when you say you are walking with only one crutch. I think I resemble nothing so much as a sloth as I slowly go step by step down the hall. Oh, so slow.
 
@Slainte--How nice of you to reach out to say that. 12 days feels different than 4 days. I just was out walking (out! walking!) with a friend and told her I felt like Frankenstein, with that distinctive straight-leg gait. It's going to take some patience till we are feeling limber and graceful . . . but when you think about what happened to our knees just a mere few days ago, it is astounding that we can get out of bed. This, if anything, is an opportunity to build capacity for patience and self-acceptance. Please keep in touch and let's help each other get through the tough parts of healing. I think the first few days were about as rough as any experience I've ever had. The pain, the utter dependency, etc. Not for sissies, this enterprise.
 
Hats off to @iivesfam5, whose surgery today is said to have gone well.

I'm 15 days out and (of course, I guess) feeling a lot of tightness in both knees. I've got about 95 degrees flex and almost zero degrees extension on both sides . . . that's basically what I had in the hospital a few days after surgery, and I have not made much progress in 12 or so days out . . . my knees are really not interested in pushing the boundary and bending more. Perhaps at some point, but they are clear on this point now.

My PT thinks I should be doing lunges on the stairs but they hurt, so I'm conservative. Can anyone tell me if I should be pushing into the pain a bit in PT? Feels too early to me. I think another month from now it might feel better. For now, my knees seem to make very clear that they only want to flex so much. Some exercises feel good, hard but good, but lunges and squats (or the pale imitations that I can manage at this time) feel really hard, and in fact too hard. Thoughts?

Also I've been walking around, just taking doggie on short walks, a few blocks. I'm lucky to live next to a big park, so I go in and sit on the benches and let the time pass . . . but my knees, at night in bed, make it VERY clear when they think I've been in the ODIC. OUCH, there's nothing that will make them happy then. So I'm learning that even though walking feels excellent in the moment, I really need to cap it, and pay attention not in the moment, but to the verdict my knees give that night as I try to sleep.
 
My PT thinks I should be doing lunges on the stairs but they hurt, so I'm conservative. Can anyone tell me if I should be pushing into the pain a bit in PT? Feels too early to me. I think another month from now it might feel better. For now, my knees seem to make very clear that they only want to flex so much. Some exercises feel good, hard but good, but lunges and squats (or the pale imitations that I can manage at this time) feel really hard, and in fact too hard. Thoughts?
It's far too early to be even thinking about doing lunges or squats. Don't do them now. At this early stage, all you need to be doing is a little stretching, some heel slides, and a little bit of walking around the house.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/heel-slides-and-how-to-do-them.26903/

Certainly, do not push yourself into pain.

Your knees are bound to still be swollen and nothing will make them bend more until most of that swelling is gone. So, concentrate on Rest, Elevation and icing your knees.

There's no need to rush to get your knees to bend. The bend is there and it will show itself as the swelling goes down. There is no magic "window of opportunity" within which you have to achieve ROM, or else all is lost.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/myth-busting-the-window-of-opportunity-in-tkr.6895/
 
Hello, all. Just an update for the recovery thread.

Yesterday afternoon a kind friend drove me to see a play my kid was in--it was fun to surprise her with my presence (and delightful to feel up to an outing like that). It was "A Midsummer Night's Dream," by Shakespeare, and she and the other kids were just great. Anyhow, it was my 2nd car trip since coming home from the hospital, and great to get out.

My first car trip, considerably less fun, was yesterday morning . . . my dog has an acute medical situation involving her hind quarters--beyond that, I will spare you details. A dear friend dropped everything and ran to pick us up, get us to the vet . . . and then went out to get meds for the dog, because she is a flipping angel. I felt so grateful to her that I could barely look at her as I tearfully said, "I don't know what I would do without you. I really, really don't know what I would do without you." I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

One of the challenging aspects of this healing phase is needing others so much. As we heal we need many different forms of help, company, support . . . I am unspeakably grateful for the friends who have offered their time, work, ideas, love. By nature I'm more of a do-it-yourself person, and also feel much more comfortable doing favors for others than having same done for me . . . so at times I feel overwhelmed by both gratitude and a sense that I can never repay the favors certain friends have done. It's both beautiful and pretty painful. It's so hard to be vulnerable and to need so much. Even my daughter (age 11) has done so much for me, and is so kind and patient when I get crabby and inflexible (at night here and there, when I should really just go to bed).

Other than that, walking around is definitely easier. It makes a big difference in my mental state to get out a walk briefly, to sit on a park bench and enjoy the breeze. I joke to my friends that this is like a crash course in being 100 years old.

My insurance co is being jerky about approving in-house PT. They only approve 2 visits at a time, so many of my appointments get canceled because no approval. It's demoralizing, to say the least. My PT told me last time that he thinks he can come just once more and then I will get assigned to outside PT. I started crying. I can barely walk 2-3 blocks, my right foot is still numb on bottom from arch back, and whole heel . . . I just had BTKR. Who is a better candidate for in-house PT than that?! I have no way of getting to outside PT, except getting a car service, which I frankly would find really hard to afford several times a week R/T. So I might be doing my own PT at home till I am up to walking or getting a bus to a PT facility. This is seriously demoralizing, but at least I will be able to take it at my own pace if it happens--no more lunges and squats prematurely.

Well, that's more than enough for one day. Sending healing thoughts to my July Sparkler comrades. xx
 
Don't know how New York law works, but here in Florida we have an Insurance Commissioner. They are pretty great at getting insurance companies to get real. You are right - if you don't qualify for in-home PT, who does?

I enjoy reading your reports. I have not yet been outside. Maybe today, if I can beat the daily summer afternoon thunderstorm we get here.

Good luck!
 
If your PT can only come one more time, ask him for some things you can do on your own based upon where you are right now that will help you progress. He will likely be willing to offer some suggestions that will help you.
 
I had those stair lunges--but probably not until week 5 or 6. And I did them gently.
Sorry about the home PT situation. Maybe if the PT/doctor can certify you have no transport you can get some extra visits.
If not, definitely get a progression of exercises you can do on your own.
Basically how I had outpatient PT was to gradually add new or different activities as I progressed, so I bet you could do some of that on your own with recommendations.
 
Glad you were able to get out a bit....and hope that doggie is doing better. I certainly hear you on trying not to ask for help. I had a few friends insist they drive me to post-op appt and first of-patient PT. I felt so guilty! Of course, I have helped them out before,which they made sure to remind me of. It's hard, though, isn't it?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
One of the challenging aspects of this healing phase is needing others so much. As we heal we need many different forms of help, company, support . . . I am unspeakably grateful for the friends who have offered their time, work, ideas, love. By nature I'm more of a do-it-yourself person, and also feel much more comfortable doing favors for others than having same done for me . . . so at times I feel overwhelmed by both gratitude and a sense that I can never repay the favors certain friends have done. It's both beautiful and pretty painful. It's so hard to be vulnerable and to need so much. Even my daughter (age 11) has done so much for me, and is so kind and patient when I get crabby and inflexible (at night here and there, when I should really just go to bed).



Well, that's more than enough for one day. Sending healing thoughts to my July Sparkler comrades. xx
Definitely agree on the difficulties in depending on others for so much, especially for us independent folks who have been the ones providing the support. But you know what? We need them, and I'm sure your support group has been as wonderful and patient as mine. We are fortunate to have them. Also appreciate those on this forum who help us with their understanding, knowledge, and humor. Love you all.
 
@kneeper: Thank you! 5-6 weeks and gentle sounds appropriate. I appreciate your sharing this!

@Lovestoread: Yes, it is definitely hard to rely on others so much. Funny quirk with me--the more I actually need help, the harder it is to accept it. Who knows why; people are odd, myself included.

@Slainte: Good idea to look up how to make a complaint about my health insurance plan. I will first try talking to them directly, but good to know what the escalation process would entail.

@PolarBear60: Yup, I've already made a list of PT exercises from my guy that can tide me over if I really cannot get anymore PT at home. Thank you for the idea.

@Rob: And how--I totally agree with you, grateful for my loved ones and grateful for the folks on this forum--who have been helpful, supportive, informative, and there when we need them.

<3 you, Bonesmart!
 
Good morning, friends.

Just want to note in case useful to others that every evening around 8 pm, I fold like a house of cards. I cry over nothing, feel hopeless, am totally irritable, and need to get to bed, watch a dumb show, and fall asleep asap. This is not generally characteristic of me (luckily!) so it must be a healing-phase thing. I've learned to respect and expect it. Last night it hit at 7:40, so early! But I cannot power through . . . just have to surrender and go to bed. It's been years and years since I felt basically like a crybaby. I don't want to insult myself . . . just painting the picture. So this may be unique to my healing process . . . but I bet it is not.

Are others finding their bodies demanding a VERY early bedtime in the month following BTKR (or TKR)?

Also I've been running a low grade fever on and off the whole time since surgery. It comes and goes. Never gets above 100.something. Sometimes asymptomatic, other times (like last night) chills and that yucky fevery feeling.

On a more positive note, it's been wonderful to walk the dog a bit, even if I just walk to the park and sit on a bench instead of walking around as usual. So uplifting to get out into the world!

For those following my doggy's little medical drama: she is well on road to recovery. Antibiotics either were or were not going to be enough to help her heal--and they seem to be! So no butt surgery for me, thank goodness. :-)

Have a good day, July Sparklers and all Bonesmart friends--I am so grateful for this community.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom