Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

@kneeper, thank you for corroborating the too-soonness of that. both my knees emphatically agree with you. How's life 5 weeks or so out from tkr?
 
It was 6 days out, not 8. my knees have been paying for that ever since i did it. :-(
 
Reminds me of the "float" nurse I had one day with my first tkr who made me get on a normal sized (felt midget sized :heehee: ) toilet my first time out at the hospital. :yikes: I think I screamed a little. I never saw her again.

5 weeks will be much better as far as how you feel. but you may get a bit stir crazy. You're healing but not as far along as you want to be. I think 5-6 weeks was when I got a little mopey.
 
I was leery every time a PT touched me (but, thankfully, it was rare), and none of mine did anything remotely wrenching. I'm so sorry that happened to you. What was that guy thinking?
 
I'm doing really well thanks. I've been lucky so far, no major dramas just a couple of minor ones! Hope today is a good day for you.
 
Hello, all-

Hear ye, hear ye! Bragging rights . . . Early this evening my dog failed to "produce" for her walker, and then a few minutes ago came over to let me know she needs to go out. The dear daughter is out at a Taylor Swift concert--good for her! I tried contacting a neighbor, but no response (it's kind of late), so I walked the :dogsniff: myself. That means down one flight of carpeted stairs with a sturdy railing with one crutch, leash up, cross a wide street to the grassy park, and voila, dog goes off leash and I start writing this post in my head. :yahoo:

It didn't feel bad! My dog is a VERY sedentary girl, so almost zero danger of her pulling. Still, I won't try this again till at least 3 weeks post surgery (unless I get in same pickle again). But damn glad I could do it. Also wanted to mention I was climbing the stairs one foot per stair. The PT the other day saw me doing this and said to do 2 feet on a stair. I asked, "Why?" and he closed his mouth. Very encouraging to be at this level of can-do with at least something, 9 days out. After all the pain and waiting . . . . finally a real (and useful) gain.

Here's to the July Sparklers, may all experience a speedy return to power.

Have a great night--
The caped crusader :bath:​
 
You did very well, @jbrooklyn . :yay::yes!:

It is a bit early to be doing the stairs with only one foot on each step. One foot at a time does put a big strain on your knees. Perhaps you should stick to two feet per step for a while?
Many people can't do one foot at a time for several months and they find that going down is harder than going up.
 
Hello, all-

Hear ye, hear ye! Bragging rights . . . Early this evening my dog failed to "produce" for her walker, and then a few minutes ago came over to let me know she needs to go out. The dear daughter is out at a Taylor Swift concert--good for her! I tried contacting a neighbor, but no response (it's kind of late), so I walked the :dogsniff: myself. That means down one flight of carpeted stairs with a sturdy railing with one crutch, leash up, cross a wide street to the grassy park, and voila, dog goes off leash and I start writing this post in my head. :yahoo:

It didn't feel bad! My dog is a VERY sedentary girl, so almost zero danger of her pulling. Still, I won't try this again till at least 3 weeks post surgery (unless I get in same pickle again). But damn glad I could do it. Also wanted to mention I was climbing the stairs one foot per stair. The PT the other day saw me doing this and said to do 2 feet on a stair. I asked, "Why?" and he closed his mouth. Very encouraging to be at this level of can-do with at least something, 9 days out. After all the pain and waiting . . . . finally a real (and useful) gain.

Here's to the July Sparklers, may all experience a speedy return to power.

Have a great night--
The caped crusader :bath:​
Proud of you, sister. Can't even think of taking our Fiona for a walk yet; she's very strong willed and would pull.me right on my keester. Good for you AND your puppy.:wow:
 
Thanks, @iivesfam5! Best part is, no "hangover" soreness today--so this was legitimately within my capabilities. I'm so freaking happy. :happydance:

How are you doing? I know you will rock this. There will be some really tough moments, and be ready for those, but I can tell you have the fortitude and will to do this in style. :-)
 
Great that you can do steps foot over foot. However, remember just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you *should.* :wink: Like Celle says, it's not a bad idea to take it easy on the knees as far as stairs go for a little while, particularly on days when you are doing a bunch of other activity. It's not a race. :heehee:
Of course as always, listen to the knees. They're pretty good at cluing you in when you're getting ready to join the ODIC.
 
@kneeper, I'm not up on that acronym. What is it, please? My knees really are not bothered by having done stairs, so I think it was okay--and I am definitely paying attention to them very closely. It feels sort of like same principle as with yoga stretches--push it to the edge of your personal comfort zone, and no further, as healing happens.

@TwoKneeOrNotTwoKnee, this forum sure has helped me, so I am glad to be of use to you. Having done BTKR, and having had some doubts about whether to go that route, I can already say I'm glad I did it all at once. Please feel free to ask me anything--I could go into more detail about many different aspects, whatever would be of help.

@Celle, just about everything you say seems well-informed, pertinent, and friendly. Big thanks.
 
I am so happy you have done well and it makes me feel hopeful for my big event on Thursday!! I am feeling pretty good and positive about the outcome. Just want to keep busy and happy until that day.....
 
Thanks, @iivesfam5. I feel optimistic about your day this Thursday, and glad to be on the journey with you.

Thanks, @PolarBear60, for the definition.

Kneeper, I am listening to my knees, and don't feel I've been anywhere close to the ODIC club, except during my first in-home PT session.
 
Hello-

11 days out, feeling pretty good. Regularly walking around the house with no walker and usually no crutches or just one. But I gotta tell you, being dependent on others and being a shut are both taking a toll. I have been weepy today because of it. I guess that's 12 days out of the flow of regular life. When my pal who's "signed up" to visit me tomorrow got in touch to ask what I need, etc., I just started crying. I want to tell her I don't need anything. I really don't need much . . . but as I am able to stand and prep food more and stuff, I will get really lonely if people don't come say hello. I've been lucky enough to have 2-4 visitors most days, and of course my great kid and dog are here. There is no real solution to this, just getting through it like other aspects of BTKR. I knew it was coming and I know i can deal with it. Just didn't think I would feel pathetic and lonely so early in the month. Boo hoo. Thanks for listening. :blackcloud:
 
Perfectly normal blues, and right on schedule with their appearance, too. Hugs. They will pass. Usually in a week or so, but boy are they ever a bummer! Hang in there. Hope you have a friend or two with a sympathetic shoulder handy. If not, we're here.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom