Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

I'm SO sorry to hear how you were treated after surgery-so unnecessary, and unkind. I think you should write a letter to the hospital about Mr. middleman's behavior. Thinking of you.
 
@snowleopard You had me laughing right out loud about the cutie doing the nerve block and the nurse straightening the table - I had to read your post to my husband in the next room because he was wondering what I was laughing about!!!

@jbrooklyn I was just wondering because of the bad experience you had with the pain...... I think my doctor leaves the nerve block in for a day or so after..... I hope you get lots of rest so you can climb those stairs and get on home where you belong...... THAT alone will at least bring up your spirits I am sure...... nothing like a little snug from your daughter and doggie!!

I am in in the optimistic resolve as you called it..... I did a bunch of cleaning today with my hubby and my knees are now throbbing away....... Counting down the days to be in pain but different as they say - at least we will know it WILL get better then!!! You said you were real swollen - do they ice you enough in the hospital??? I agree I am not nervous at all about the surgery itself - the OS is very competent - and I know that long term outlook is what we need - looking forward to each month as a milestone and by 6 mos you are right -and even before about New years or so we are going to be so happy!!!

If you go home - is someone coming to stay with you?
 
@iivesfam5, yep, it was pretty much the equivalent of having George Clooney walk in and say, "I'm going to be groping you; I trust this won't be a problem?" and then smiling that George Clooney smile. This one even had a name that sounded like it was made up by a Harlequin Romance writer. Hey, I guess there's worse things that can happen, right?

I have to smile, though, at the warning that I would hate the surgeon for months. There hasn't been a day that I don't look back on the whole team with gratitude. You really are putting your life in their hands, and they all stepped up and treated me like one of their own. I remember one of the nurses saying to me as I was going into surgery, "I'll be praying for you." I realize that for some people, that might be offensive, but I'll take it. I think that no matter what one's beliefs, it's a nice feeling that someone is sending out positive thoughts into the universe on one's behalf out of generosity and concern. And another one, when I asked them all to make sure he did the right leg, said, "This is MY operating theater, and NOTHING goes wrong." I felt like, "Okay, you've got this, I don't have to manage the surgery myself." But yeah, Dr. I-moonlight-as-an-exotic-dancer-when-I'm-not-doing-this was kind of the frosting on top of the cupcake.
 
@snowleopard my surgeon came into pre-op and asked if he could pray for me! I was filled with such peace after that. I thanked him for it at my first follow-up appointment.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I am all about prayer!! I pray for many people and hope that many will pray for me!! I usually pray my way into the deep sleep and thank God the moment I am waking up in recovery......
 
:yay:@jbrooklyn CLIMB those stairs CLIMB those stairs - I am cheering for you!!
 
Thanks, @iivesfam5! I killed the stairs. Going home today. So happy about that. The pain still needs serious management, but the energy level is up, got my wits about me, and really eager to have some independence. Hospital life is not for me. Smooth sailing, all, and I will report from "JBrooklyn HQ" soon!
 
Great news. I half cried and half laughed with relief when I walked through my front door. Enjoy the feeling and enjoy nesting - my bed and bedroom are my sanctuary right now.
 
You really seem to have a great attitude, after that rough start. You're setting a good example with your positivity. We ALL can use that now. 13 days out !
 
Hi, everyone-

So, 3rd day home, and 8 days since BTKR. It was bliss first day . . . pain managed, and I could use the bathroom without asking for help--yay. The 2nd afternoon home, the PT guy came. He wrenched my knees to get better flex, had me using the stairs, and had me step into and out of our very deep tub, that has a high wall--my leg got stuck trying to get over that wall, and I burst into tears, it hurt so much. I've been in excruciating pain since then. It let up a bit yesterday morning, but both nights it's been almost impossible to sleep b/c of constant stabbing pain. I canceled today's PT appt, and he won't be back till Mon. I will have to let him know that the sessions need to be mutual, based on the limits of my healing process. He was not a mean person--but that forced flex was really wrong, and that ain't happening again. We are taking the slow route.

Apart from intense pain (Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?), things are lovely. friends are bringing bags of ice, helping to get the cpm machine on and off the bed, bringing groceries, etc. I'm humbled and grateful. My daughter has been a gem, too, so willing to help, and cares so much.

My knees are starting to be less swollen, though the black/blue action is intense--it looks like I"m wearing purple tights, eeeeuuuww. But now I can begin to see the shape of my new knees, and it looks sort of like wearing shoes on the wrong feet--the shape is different than the old familiar knees. Strange! Nothing wrong with it, just an odd detail.

Been using the alarm on my iphone so i can take meds every 4 hours. very helpful, as my first morning home, i slept through taking meds and awoke paralyzed in pain and needing to use bathroom--bad combo! A mason jar saved the day; sorry if that is tmi, but thought perhaps useful to others who find themselves in this bad fix.

I rented a Game Ready knee ice machine, and it's great. It eats 5# ice per session, but worth it. nothing like the relief from having your whole leg ensconced in icy pressure for 30 min.

Good wishes to everyone, and I will be reading up on how you all are later today! Till then, best wishes and thank you for the camaraderie.
 
@jbrooklyn I better go buy a mason jar - LOLOL you did make me laugh quite a few times while reading this!! I am glad you are getting lots of help from your friends as I was a bit worried about you being alone..... Oh God the PT sounds horrifying. That is my biggest fear!!! YIKES!!!! I hope PT goes nice and smooth from this point forward.
 
@iivesfam5, glad you got a laugh from my mason jar moment--humor is so crucial at these times in life. :loll:

Yes, strangely, the PT session was just what I had been fearing and hoping to avoid--but the wrenching happened so fast I could not prevent it. I would advise a brief talk beforehand to say you are willing to do the work to get ROM back, but want to take slow route b/c knee needs to heal. And I plan to tell my guy that everything that happens needs to be a mutual decision--no more surprises.

When I was in college, I lived in a tar-paper shack with an outhouse, and we used mason jars all winter long--it had been years since it occurred to me to do that, but I knew right away what to do, and it brought back nice associations of days gone by. :-)
 
8 days out and he had you step into the tub? :rolleyes:
I used a bath bench and swung my legs in from a seated position for weeks.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom