Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jane B.'s New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya @Jane B. , just thought I'd pop over real quick. Regarding your car ride; make sure to stop and get out of the car/stretch every single hour. You don't want to keep your leg bent for so long. Even with renting a van and being able to stretch your leg out, it's still good to 'switch things up' a bit every hour and take a couple of steps. I'm so very impressed at how well you're doing. I think you said you're starting a new book? Uhm, I couldn't even concentrate long enough at 2 weeks to watch a movie much less read! Good job!
 
Instead of a wheel chair, maybe borrow a rollator, sit in a real chair, prop leg on rollator seat, use handy storage on seat for a little pillow and a temporary ice pack. Have a stash of gallon zip lock bags to put ice in at reception. They won't be using the ring pillow after the ceremony, bribe ring bearer to hand it to you to add to your stack. Have a beautiful wrap, cloak, shawl to drape artistically over The Knee. Smile wanly and say 'my knee, you know. Such a bother.' Remember if you say 'my feet hurt' you sound like a char woman, but if you say 'my foot hurts' you sound like a duchess. So try saying its your foot. Knee is draped, lie should be undetected.

Unless that wheel chair has a leg lift and a better cushion for the seat than most it will be miserable sitting in it (spent a month in one for my ankle and know whereof I speak). Advantage of rollator, it helps with ambulation and it gives you a place to sit when you get tired en route from hither to yon. Not to mention inexperienced and overly enthusiastic wheelchair pushers are the Very Devil. In emergency rollator can be scooted/pushed with you perched on seat, but its impossible to race with one, A Good Thing.

If I had my druthers for a long car ride I'd be in the back seat with the front seat folded forward or entirely removed so I could stretch out. Sidesaddle on a back seat is difficult and for me worked only for the shortest of trips. How about just renting a camper van/small motor home with a couch? No need for hotel room for a couple of the younger members of the party. YOU wallow in the hotel room, though.
 
@DogLoverx3, Ellen, I think you are right. Changing it up a lot on the ride will help. We'll figure it out.

I read a thriller early on and that kept my interest. Now I'm reading a Swedish murder mystery, that's good, but it's slow going. I can't seem to concentrate on TV. If I'm uncomfortable in the evenings I try reading my book to stay awake until 10, so I can take meds, and go to bed. Trying to stay up until it's time to go to bed doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm sure you understand.

I find the only thing that really holds my interest is BoneSmart. You are stuck in the house with knee pain and you only want to read about knee pain. Kinda crazy.

I've always wanted an Airstream, @jeano. You may be on to something. Thanks for the thoughtful ideas. I'll be sure to ask for that ring pillow for my collection!
 
I spent hours and hours pouring over threads in Bonesmart once I finally found this site. Made me feel not quite so alone. I couldn't sleep more than an hour at a time for almost 4 weeks, so I had plenty of time to surf the web. It took me months to be able to concentrate well enough to read a book..... I'll never forget probably 5-6 days in my sister had asked me to make a list and schedule of something I needed done. I didn't because a) i forgot b) i forgot c) i couldn't concentrate on anything more than 2 seconds at a time and d) i forgot. She yelled at me for not doing it. Gotta love family .....
 
I had a nice afternoon. An old friend came to visit and she kept my brain occupied. She wanted to see our grandchild and he performed admirably. He picked up my cane and whacked it on the ground while "limping" around the room. Limping! Little Booger.
 
We have an older Toyota Highlander. It does have a third seat, but I thought it might make sense to rent a mini-van, especially with strollers and wheelchairs. We'll be staying at a hotel with time between the wedding and the reception on Saturday.

Renting a larger vehicle sounds like a fantastic idea, especially with the strollers and wheelchairs.
 
We bash physical therapists on this site, but I have to give credit to the woman who has been coming to our house. She is kind, gentle, creative, encouraging, and no nonsense. I will probably see her for another week, maybe two.

Our grandson developed another ear infection. I think he's ready for tubes, like his mother. A family team effort got him to the pediatrician: Grandpa and Grandma picked him up at nursery school, passed him off to our daughter, who drove him into the city to meet Mom, and see the doctor. 103.5 f temp and last ear infection was two weeks ago.

When they came back I carried him in from the car and up four steps. First time since surgery, and it was worth it. We snuggled and watched truck videos.
 
We bash physical therapists on this site, but I have to give credit to the woman who has been coming to our house. She is kind, gentle, creative, encouraging, and no nonsense. I will probably see her for another week, maybe two.

Hi @Jane B.

We only "bash" those physiotherapists who insist on making their patients overwork their wounded knees, or who hurt or try to scare their patients.

The right sort of physiotherapist can be a great help in anyone's recovery. If you have found a good one, who suits you, stick with her - she's like gold dust.

@Pumpkln , who is one of our forum advisers, is a physiotherapist and she gives excellent advice. Let me hasten to add that she does not give advice in her professional capacity here on BoneSmart - just as someone who has had knee replacements.

PS: Thank you for your words of encouragement on my thread.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jane B. Your description of your grandson and his videos remind me of my sons and their Thomas the Tank Engine Videos. Oh, the days... Now they're both teenagers! I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I have not been able to read for long- even Bonesmart turns my eyelids to lead, so I'm just catching up. I hope your wedding plans go well!
 
@Celle, of course I mis-spoke. I shouldn't have made such a broad statement. I blame narcotics!

@PuppyLove, this grandson of ours is amazing, or maybe just obsessed. (and very sweet) Our kids are older, so it's been a long time since Sesame Street.

The PT told me to run a series of errands this weekend to see how I will manage for the wedding. Buying a snow-blower is not the same as riding in the car for five hours, but it's a chance to see how I am doing.
 
Hello Jane @Jane B.

Glad that you like my idea of putting a ribbon at the top of your cane.
I do get compliments or maybe people are just being polite :heehee: when the see my subtlety decorated cane.

A girl needs of a bit of glamour,..

At a few points throughout the reception, as we were staying in the hotel where the wedding reception was held, I went up to the room and iced and elevated the knee.

On the dance floor until 1am with the cane, a different form of dancing as I was mainly in one spot, but wasn't to let the TKR stop me.

I asked the DJ to play "Girls Just Want a To Have Fun" !
It's was my theme song for the night.

Enjoy your wedding,
Cathie
 
My family and friends had a bit of an intervention with me this morning. They told me I was in no shape to ride in the car for five hours and go to a wedding. I kept thinking, I'd be uncomfortable, but I planned to go.

Oh, well.
 
Hi Jane @Jane B.

Catching up on posts while the Sunday Roast is in the oven and husband & lads are watching the end of The Ryder Cup.

Five hours is a long drive and your family are concerned as to how that will effect you and I can understand their concern.

In my, case the church was 10 minutes from my home and then the church to the hotel where the reception was held was an hour.

As we were also staying there overnight, I was able on arrival to go to our room and ice and elevate the knee before the Reception and go up again after the meal before the dancing.

Know that you are sad that you may have to reconsider the long travel time and how it will effect you.

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Cathie. I envied you the reception and hotel being in one spot. This wedding has a different venue for the reception. I am disappointed, but they are right. I'm close to my brother and I'll sure he'll understand. Plus, he's going to need a bilateral before too long!
 
@marmora, Cathie, you are very kind. I appreciate your support from across the Pond.

Now that we won't be going to the wedding, I think it's time to figure out how to optimize The Knee recovery as I approach three weeks. And still decorate the cane. The Grandson would probably like it to have toy trucks and balls.

My worst time of day is in the two hours before bed time. It was like that for my arthritic knee, too. After "running" around all day, it's going to get sore. Last night I went too long between pain pills and was miserable. Unfortunately my husband saw me in pain. He hates for me to be in pain, and I try to not draw attention to it. He sweetly sat on the bedroom chair working on the NYTimes crossword puzzle and waited until my medication kicked in.

It was my own darn fault and I'll be sure to take that one pain medication on time. I can stretch other pills, just fine.

We've had a record breaking heat wave in New England, and it was too hot for my afternoon walks. I enjoy them and hope to begin again today.

Home PT switches today from three weekly visits to two. Nursing stopped.

My friend visited yesterday and was amazed at my progress. She had visited a week earlier. I am so much more flexible in moving my leg around. It's kind of fun. I walked around, showing off, without a cane. "Look at you!"

I know I'm no where ready to drive. I've been meaning to get into the parked car and just try the pedals, but it seems like a lot of effort for little gain.

But, let's get real. I did a little vacuuming this morning, just to get the chunks up. I completely ran out of gas.

Edit: I asked my husband to stay home while I showered. I made it to the bathroom and got very faint. Head between knees on the shower stool (it is a little low and I got a 90+ bend!). I've been taking multi-vites, but he's going to buy iron tablets. I'm going to need about twenty stool softeners per day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jane @Jane B.

Resting here with knee elevated and icing, as I'm just back from my weekly 1-1 Physio session.
So, good time to catch up on posts.

You seem to be doing a lot at 3 weeks post-op and progressing well.

Good suggestion from your husband about the iron tablets, as you could be slightly anaemic after surgery.
I actually like prune juice and find it easier than laxatives, but some people don't like it- whatever works is he way to go.

I haven't vacuumed yet, my husband has been doing that.
May try it at the end of the week, but he doesn't mind, so may let him continue.

With driving, I sat into the car and tried the pedals for a day or two on week 8 post-op, as I drive a manual or stick shift and had LTKR. My OS suggested that the first time I went driving to have someone with me, in case it was too much for the knee & then they could take over.

Take care and I know that you are probably tired of people telling you that it is early days in your recovery.
So, I won't tell you that, cause you know that yourself.

Take care,
Cathie
 
We need to feed you up. Spinach, liver, meat, lots o' meat. Don't make me come up there with Granny Jeano's tonic.
 
PT said she would have discharged me today, if only I weren't flopping around the room looking for a fainting couch. She noticed husband brought the walker up from the basement.

She said I have good flex/bend, didn't measure, though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom