TKR Jamie's 2rd TKR Recovery Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie, best of luck to you too. I did not have a femoral block or a catheter---EVER!! I would much rather get up and go to the bathroom. I got up about 2 hours after surgery. We are all different!! my doc does not recommend them because of the incidence of UTI when using catheters. I really never had much pain with my second tkr. Had oxycontin for 10 days and percoset 5/325--one ever four hours. I hope you have an easy recovery as well.

I like the nice 9 bed hospital---that looks great. Our hospital is small too and I much prefer it to the bigger more impersonal ones. K
 
This is strange - I know I had a fem block and I've trying hard to remember what I did for a pee. I can remember having urinary retention around 1am and was in agony. The nurse was going to catheterize me but had to wait for the houseman to come and write up a single dose of antibiotics to give me before hand. In the end I was yelling at her "Just do the (blank blank) thing!" Eventually she conceded but seconds before she was ready, my bladder emptied itself all over her sterile paper towels! The relief was wonderful! But what I did for it the rest of the night/morning I can't remember because know I didn't get up until about 11am. I hasten to point out that my issues were more to do with the spinal than the block.
 
As convenient as the catheter is, it really is best to get that puppy out soon -- reduces the risk of urinary tract infection. Which you don't want! We'll be thinking about you Friday.
 
Just wanted to say good luck Friday. Hope all goes well with your surgery!
 
Jamie, does your heel hurt from your plantar fasciitis? This mess is really killing me. I was thinking mabye your Doc could give you a good cortisone shot while you are asleep, if you were up to such a thing. I got a few months of relief with mine. Just a thought. I only got mine laterally because I was too afraid to get it in the usual place, and also my heel pain was unusually to the back of the heel. Good luck in whatever you decide. I just know my p.f. has really affected my walking with my heel, knees and even hip now.

Helen
 
Good luck Jamie for Friday. Special thoughts are coming your way. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jamie,
Good luck with your surgery.
I had a spinal anaesthetic and no catheter. I did have one mishap when I wet the bed once while I was unaware and numb. Once the numbness went I was able to use the bedpan. The first time was difficult as although I was aware of the need to go I couldn't seem to make it happen. With some patience and giving it time I was sucessful. It got easier after that and was soon back to normal. Personally I am pleased I didn't have a catheter. I think having to get out of bed to use the commode and later the toilet helped me mobilise.
I will watch out for your recovery thread.
Toothfairy x
 
Surgery Eve...

Tomorrow is the Big Day and a strange calm is settling over the house. Hubby and I had a bit of a tiff last night, but it got resolved and he apologized. Emotions run high when major surgery is in the near future. Each of us has our own "demons" that we have to work through mentally. No matter how much information and knowledge a person has, fears (rational or irrational) are usually part of the deal as you get close to surgery day.

Now that it's this close, I know the "autopilot" syndrome will hit soon. That's the point where things just happen and time passes very quickly. It's a relatively good time because you are busy doing things that have to be done and all the prep work is completed.

[Bonesmart.org] Jamie's 2rd TKR Recovery Saga

Here is what my knees look like today. You can see that the left has an outward bow that should be straightened up with this second knee replacement. I long to be "straight" so I can stand tall!!! Well, as tall as one can be when they are only 5 feet 2 inches! :rotfl:
 
Jamie my dear, my very very best wishes for you tomorrow. Even though you have gone through this before, I can understand the nerves.

I'm wishing you a fabulous surgery, and a fabulous recovery. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. HUGE hugs dear one
 
All the best for tomorrow Jamie! Thinking of you & hope all goes well & your back with us all very soon! :flwrysmile:
 
Oh Jamie - you have a fair degree of medial collapse there. No wonder you have been in pain.

I think my 'normal' knee is coming out in sympathy with you today! This afternoon, for some daft reason best known to the gods, I decided to walk 15 mins on an uphill high street to get something. But the shop was out of stock so back I walked again to the car. My knee was fine during this escapade but now it's aching so badly I've had to take a Tramadol! :doh: Shan't try that little trick again!

Anyway, all the best for tomorrow, you know I shall be thinking of you and missing my chat buddy hugely!
 
Jamie,

Best wishes for a smooth surgery day and comfortable post surgery stay. Your little hospital looks like a wonderful place. My surgery was done at a small facility and it was wonderful!

I did have the femoral block and had the catheter in as well. I didn't even notice to be honest and it was removed within 36 hours as I recall. No big deal really, although I worried about it beforehand. Just remember to drink your prune juice or whatever you do to stay regular. That was my big mistake and that first BM was a long time coming and no fun....

I hope the pf let's up on you while you are trying to recover. Mine is still giving me trouble. I have been taking a stronger anti inflammatory and stretching more but it hasn't helped much. I have however found that KLOGS shoes have been much easier on the pf than anything else I have tried. They have a great arch support and supportive but comfy footbed. While you are recovering, you should check them out. Retail therapy is also good for your recovery!!

Be well and prayers for you tomorrow!

Cheers,

Dawn
 
:flwrysmile: GOOD LUCK for tomorrow Jamie. Im sure you dont need any advice but a hug and warmest wishes that everything goes well and it will be all over soon. Will wait to watch your progress with interest and it might just encourage me to have my second knee done. Take Care :flwrysmile:
 
My thoughts and prayers will be with you in the next few days. Your husband is probably nervous, nice to have a spouse to help you out.
Big warm hug to you,
 
Today is your day Jamie! I know - I'm early by your time zone :heehee: ! Good luck today. We will all be with you in spirit. See you on the other side my friend!
 
Jamie. Good Luck. Will be thinking of you. Take care my friend. Tashia
 
Thinking of you Jamie :flwrysmile: I'm feeling nervous for you so don't you bother! Big hugs & everyone here is rooting for you :console2:
Jaki xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom