TKR Jamie's 2rd TKR Recovery Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie, How was your Easter? I hope you got to do what you wanted to do. I do hope the storms missed you. Take care. :flwrysmile: Tashia
 
Hi Jamie. Just checking in on you. You are sounding upbeat and cheerful; I'm so glad the pain management protocol is working so well for you. Hope the snow is finally gone in Kansas....you won't be ready to tiptoe through the tulips, but you should be feeling pretty good by the time the corn is knee-high, yes?

Miss you so take care and get well soon. :)

Sharon
 
Jamie, found the thread for your recovery, and glad to see you're doing better. Take good care, and you'll be riding that bike in no time! :bicycle1:
 
Hi Jamie, I have seen you around the forum a bit more. Just checking to make sure everything is going well. Take care!
 
Hello Jamie! I am glad to hear that things are going pretty well for you! Hopefully the snow is gone by now and you can get that leg up and ice and not worry about anything! Watch some funny sitcoms!:)
 
Jamie, just stumbled upon something you wrote on someone else's thread and learned you were recovering again. Is there some place I haven't discovered yet on Bonesmart that gives alerts to recent surgeries? I know I've stumbled upon a few newbies, but I'd have joined in on your thread and likely others, too, if I'd somehow known about them sooner.

Glad to hear you are rebounding well, and among your worst problems is you are feeling so good you want to overdo. I had the nerve block, too. Maybe that was why I wanted to get up and explore the flower gardens with my walker.

I'm presently on a break after raking my gardens of winter debris and pruning back branches. About time to get back with the wheelbarrow to haul it away.
 
I'm so sorry that I haven't posted much about my recovery. At 8 weeks, it's been going pretty well and I've been trying to do things that I would normally be doing during the spring.

I'm still on Tramadol, but really only seem to need it at night to sleep. I gave up the cane a couple of weeks ago. My doctor cleared me to drive at 6 weeks. But....I still have only a fraction of my stamina back. Nighttimes are difficult to get uninterrupted sleep (where have we heard THAT before???). And the strength in my leg is slow to return. I can do stairs up and down as of a week ago, but I must go very slowly. I try really hard not to do too much of that right now because if I push it....well....we ALL know what happens!!!

It's one problem I see with doing so well so quickly. You think you really ARE recovering faster. In reality, only part of the recovery is speedy. Things like strength and stamina still come rather slowly.

I discovered I had a tooth problem this past week and had to have a root canal. Of course, I have all the thoughts about infection, but both the surgeon and dentists insisted that I take antibiotics. So I'm hoping things are okay. According to the Endodontist there was not much infection when he did the root canal....just a small abcess right next to the nerve. Ouch!

So back to focusing on the knee now!!! I'm working on building up bicycle time. I do 5-10 minutes at a time a couple of times a day and my goal is 30-45 minutes each day. That's what my cardiologist insists on....brat that he is!!

Thanks for thinking about me!!!
 
Good to hear from you Jamie, was wondering how you were doing!

I think recovery is like an electric fence, you need to test the boundaries every so often to see how far you can go! Keep up the good work and check in sometimes!

Be well,

Dawn
 
I love the electric fence analogy. So true.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laura....your post reminded me that I really never closed the loop on my second TKR. So here is the 18 month report:

The knee recovered more quickly overall than the first TKR. During the summer months following surgery I was able to do some gardening and outdoor work at our lake house. I purposely took things slow, though. I experienced some swelling and that tight band feeling for the better part of a year....especially when going down stairs.

Now that I'm a year and a half out my second knee is my superstar. It doesn't bother me at all. I am back at the gym working with my trainer. Over the years with my two bad knees I had let my muscles get way, way out of shape. I have balance issues and need to strengthen muscles for that too. Angie (my trainer) has me doing things I haven't done since way before the first surgery.....like stepping up on a fairly high step with nothing to hold on to and on one foot!!! Yikes!!! I couldn't believe I could do that!!!

I am so thankful to live in a time where joint replacements are possible. I am most certainly NOT ready for the rocking chair at the old folks home!!!
 
Wow that's really great!! I'm looking forward to that too. I know what you mean about muscles not being good enough because of the knees. Keep it up and thanks for the update!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom