TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

seem to be rotating my lower leg outward as compensation for my worn out knee. He said that this could be causing my difficulty with squatting versus bending at the waist. I had low back surgery in August 2023 and am feeling some discomfort in the low back
As someone whose increasingly turned out lower leg ( valgus knee) led to worsening back ( sciatica) and hip pain) I wouldn't want to leave a twisted leg for too long. My situation may be different because I have definite hip and back pathology ( arthritis/ spinal stenosis) as well- but the pain diminished almost completely on straightening my leg with my PKR.
I would also agree with @Layla about Summer versus Winter surgery.
I was terrified of falling on wet leaves/ ice and although I loved my Aircast Cryocuff- there were times when it all felt just a bit too cold to be pleasant.
 
Jake, tough question to answer only because it’s such a personal decision. I think over time having one new knee and one not so new and deteriorating may cause more issues. I just think from a posture perspective we are out of alignment with one good and one bad and that can cause lots of different challenges. You know my story and as I sit here two weeks post second surgery I am very happy with my decision. Not to say I haven’t second guessed it over and over but at least this recovery attempt I am not thinking I have to do this all over again. Like I said you know your body better than anyone and also your tolerance for pain. If, at the end of the day, you decide to go for the second one my view would be sooner rather than later. Good luck with your decision.
God Bless you and your recovery sir!
 
Hello! It’s been a while, thought I’d check in. Still haven’t decided on WHEN I’m going to get a new left knee. My bride says I’m walking “like an 80 yr old man”. I’m not sure why. The new knee seems to be doing reasonably well. My left knee is “holding its own” for whatever that is worth. My back has been sore so I’m back taking gabapentin again. I hate it, but it does provide some relief. Seems to me that I get somewhat exhausted and “winded“ when walking from the chicken coop to the house or back down. I also notice my attitude is not as good as it usually is. I’m not saying that for sympathy, rather my desire to feel well and do what I want to do is somewhat lacking lately. I have been out in the shop 4 plus hours a day lately. Doing preventative maintenance on equipment and attempting to have everything in its place so I can do a shop tour video and have the place look “used but presentable“. Also trying to do a much better job of dust collection at the tools versus after the fact.

My “ladies” seem to be doing okay. We had some issues with mites, so today I handed my wife one chicken at a time and she dipped each one. All 12 got a dip and then we cleaned everything well and I sprayed the hen house and run. They were “madder than a wet hen” when I wouldn’t allow them inside till everything was dry. Ahhh the adventure of raising chickens. Still totally worth it. If anyone is in my neck of the woods and would like a dozen eggs, message me. I don’t believe there is, but thought I would offer. The picture is of “Pachino” she was so happy to get back inside the run after the ordeal.

Anyhow, it’s time to unwind with some music or a podcast and shut off my brain for a while. May God watch over everyone’s healing and please be safe out there!
Jake
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jake’s Got a New Knee
    IMG_1943.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 59
Seems to me that I get somewhat exhausted and “winded“ when walking from the chicken coop to the house or back down. I also notice my attitude is not as good as it usually is. I’m not saying that for sympathy, rather my desire to feel well and do what I want to do is somewhat lacking lately.
Reality check: you're not even four months post op. Your knee isn't at full function yet, your physical recovery (including stamina) isn't at full function.

Folks at this point often do have a hard time coping. We know intellectually it takes a year, but... yes it's a grind!

If you're not taking regular real breaks during the day - feet up, cool or hot beverage, just doin' nothing! - I heartily recommend it plus continuing to attend to your nutritional needs with ample protein to build muscle plus veggies for all the goodies they offer.
 
Jake, glad to see you stop by. One of the things that we share is the feeling of being a bit “winded” after something we used to do that was routine. After spending most of my life being active these past 3+ months of inactivity and recovery have taken their toll. I have been advised that restoring some level of fitness will return, slowly, but will return. Sorry to hear bout your back, another thing we share, mine has been pretty quiet lately, hope yours calms down as well. The second TKR is such a personal decision that all I can say is you’ll come to it at the right time. Enjoy the ladies and continue healing. Stay strong!
 
Jake, glad to see you stop by. One of the things that we share is the feeling of being a bit “winded” after something we used to do that was routine. After spending most of my life being active these past 3+ months of inactivity and recovery have taken their toll. I have been advised that restoring some level of fitness will return, slowly, but will return. Sorry to hear bout your back, another thing we share, mine has been pretty quiet lately, hope yours calms down as well. The second TKR is such a personal decision that all I can say is you’ll come to it at the right time. Enjoy the ladies and continue healing. Stay strong!
Thanks sir! I am so grateful for you and the rest of the folks here on the forum. Now that @mendogal and you brought me back to some reality, you both are absolutely correct. In my case, my low back fusion was in August of 23, and after that my right knee issues were amplified. I was not active since August and expect stamina, that is stupid thinking for sure. I do reasonably well, but the lack of stamina is bothering me. Anyhow, thanks for your words of wisdom, it’s always appreciate! You too @mendogal ! God Bless!
 
So good to hear from you! Sorry you're not feeling top notch yet, but not surprised given you experienced two surgeries within five months time and you're not even four months post op from the most recent. That's a lot...I'd say you're a champ!

I feel for you with the back pain...pain is draining and can definitely affect our mood. Hopefully the chickens and the projects you're working on serve as a healthy diversion, but ideally, I hope the pain eases for you. Your stamina will increase, slowly but surely, give it more time. Thanks for stopping by, always a pleasure to hear from you! :SUNsmile:
@jakemedic
 
So good to hear from you! Sorry you're not feeling top notch yet, but not surprised given you experienced two surgeries within five months time and you're not even four months post op from the most recent. That's a lot...I'd say you're a champ!

I feel for you with the back pain...pain is draining and can definitely affect our mood. Hopefully the chickens and the projects you're working on serve as a healthy diversion, but ideally, I hope the pain eases for you. Your stamina will increase, slowly but surely, give it more time. Thanks for stopping by, always a pleasure to hear from you! :SUNsmile:
@jakemedic
Thanks @Layla! You are one of the champions here, along with @mendogal, the rest of the moderators and some special folks @Jtmav and others who assist me during my long recovery. I just want to feel good. It would improve my attitude, my relationships and just be a good thing. Anyhow, thanks again, it is so nice coming here to see what is up!
 
Hello! I went to a funeral today and wore my Sheriff’s uniform, vest and gun belt for the first time since my surgery the end of January. Probably an additional 20# of weight. I had to walk a significant distance and sat in a church pew where I couldn’t extend my knee. I’m still very glad I had a chance to pay my respect to an outstanding reserve deputy who died from cancer.

With that said, my replaced knee began to hurt along with my “original equipment“ knee, which I expected. When I took off my pants I noticed new bruising on the lateral aspect of my knee. I took a picture and thought I’d get the groups opinion. Do I just ice it and see how it goes, or do I need to contact the orthopedic surgeon to ask? I apologize for the pic, but that isn’t a shadow.

As always, I appreciate the help!
Respectfully,
Jake
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jake’s Got a New Knee
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 53
Sorry to see this, Jake. I would defer to the more seasoned posters here as I really am not equipped to guess. Perhaps just overuse, ice and elevation would be helpful, certainly can’t hurt. Hope it’s just an overuse injury and time, ice and elevation can solve it. Good luck and hang in there.
 
Thanks Jim, that is what my bride said as well. I just didn’t know if it was something I needed to be concerned with or not. Hope your recovery continues to go well my friend! God Bless
 
I would definitely rest, ice, elevate, and use arnica gel if you're so inclined to help the bruising resolve faster.

If there's increased swelling, increased pain, or the slightest hint of instability, holler for your ortho team!
 
Hi Jake,
Sounds like you likely had a day of reflection sprinkled with sadness, also some physical discomfort. I'm sorry and hope you're feeling better now that you're back in the comfort of home.

I looked around on the forum a bit and found a member questioning bruising way farther out than you are (she was 11 months post op) and BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, Josephine, who had 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics asked if the member was on any blood thinners or NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen (Aleve) or diclofenac (Volterol)? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but wondering if it's a possibility with the bruising?

I hope with some rest and ice it dissipates along with the other aches you're currently dealing with. Also, a belated thanks for your service in law enforcement. I hope your evening is a peaceful one.
@jakemedic
 
Hi Jake,
Sounds like you likely had a day of reflection sprinkled with sadness, also some physical discomfort. I'm sorry and hope you're feeling better now that you're back in the comfort of home.

I looked around on the forum a bit and found a member questioning bruising way farther out than you are (she was 11 months post op) and BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, Josephine, who had 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics asked if the member was on any blood thinners or NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen (Aleve) or diclofenac (Volterol)? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but wondering if it's a possibility with the bruising?

I hope with some rest and ice it dissipates along with the other aches you're currently dealing with. Also, a belated thanks for your service in law enforcement. I hope your evening is a peaceful one.
@jakemedic
Hello!
Yes, I do eat my share of ibuprofen, no longer on blood thinners, but the agreement is, if I get another clot, I agree to take them for the rest of my life. I like to donate blood at our local drives and being O-, I’m a universal donor. I know that sounds strange, but I feel like I’m giving back something to the local community.

Appreciate the wish for a quiet evening! We had a tornado warning around 6pm and my bride was a champion getting things ready. But it was up and down the basement stairs more times than I wanted. No tornado, thank God, but others in my state were not so lucky. No loss of life that I am aware of, but when you say your prayers tonight, add one more please! I could not imagine loosing everything and having to start over.

You know, right after 9/11/2001, I was working as the EMS Coordinator/paramedic for a career fire department. Like many, I wanted to do more for our country. I met the Sheriff of the county I resided in and he told me of a part time/reserve academy. I went through the “weekend” academy and became a certified reserve peace officer. Some duties were paid, but most were volunteer. Fast forward to 2018, I retired from being a paramedic and when we moved, met a fantastic sheriff who utilized my skills and talents. I worked regularly till last August. I’ve been on leave since. I am cleared to return, but think I should wait, especially after today. Anyhow, that’s probably more info, and a simple thanks would have been adequate. Thank you and @mendogal for your help. It is much appreciated. God Bless!
 
This spring's weather has been really disturbing. Thank God you made it through OK. I pray for your continued blessings.

I, too, am O- and feel led to donate blood. I can't do much for society, and this is one thing I can do! God bless you for all your service.

I think the ibuprofen is adding to your bruising. I agree with the others that if your knee doesn't return to its normal stage, then contact your doctor and get his opinion. I bet it will be fine.
 
This spring's weather has been really disturbing. Thank God you made it through OK. I pray for your continued blessings.

I, too, am O- and feel led to donate blood. I can't do much for society, and this is one thing I can do! God bless you for all your service.

I think the ibuprofen is adding to your bruising. I agree with the others that if your knee doesn't return to its normal stage, then contact your doctor and get his opinion. I bet it will be fine.
Thank you! They say that what we do for others will pay back 10 fold. I’m not so sure about that much, but at the end of the day if we can leave this place a bit better than we found it, then we were successful. You with your blood donations impact so many lives, in ways we cannot fathom. I saved my points from donating for many years and this last fall cashed them in for a nifty jacket with the blood center logo on it. I think it may have taken me 7 or 8 years :heehee:

My knee is a bit sore today, but as @mendogal reminds me, it’s only been 4 months. Take care and may God bless!
 
I've got that Jacket! It was about a year I didn't donate because of the TKR and other health reasons. The first time back, I felt like God smiled at me!

It sounds like your knee is snapping back nicely. You are actually doing well for only 4 months out. I took my first mountain camping trip at 4 months, taking my cold water circulating machine with me. I was unable to hike the trails but did walk around the campground. Those up and down hills really angered my knee, and I was so glad I had my ice machine with me! You are doing so much more than I was able to do at only 1/3 of the yearlong healing!
 
I've got that Jacket! It was about a year I didn't donate because of the TKR and other health reasons. The first time back, I felt like God smiled at me!

It sounds like your knee is snapping back nicely. You are actually doing well for only 4 months out. I took my first mountain camping trip at 4 months, taking my cold water circulating machine with me. I was unable to hike the trails but did walk around the campground. Those up and down hills really angered my knee, and I was so glad I had my ice machine with me! You are doing so much more than I was able to do at only 1/3 of the yearlong healing!
I’m here to tell you God smiles at you often for the good you are doing here. I moved a pile of wood that was too close to the chicken run and a real long log that has been there for sometime. Placed it on the burn pile (with the help of my gator). Going to check the weather and might fire that thing up! My ladies (chIckens) have been battling ants, mites and gnats this spring and the pile of wood may have added to it. Have a wonderful, peaceful day!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom