- Joined
- Jun 26, 2017
- Messages
- 47,907
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
In due time.Now, if I could ditch the cane
You're doing great, jakemedic. Kicking those assistive devices to the curb, one by one.Oh what a Summer you'll have!
United States
In due time.Now, if I could ditch the cane
You're doing great, jakemedic. Kicking those assistive devices to the curb, one by one.
United States
This is so cool! So thoughtful of you. Such an honorable way to pay tribute to their sacrifice. I love it!I have spent considerable time in my wood shop this week trying to design a reproducible plaque as a memorial for fallen law enforcement officers in America.
United States
United Kingdom
I used a foldable walking stick for about 6-7 months outside ( I did buy a patterned/ coloured one I liked). I live in a busy London suburb with lots of uneven pavements, due to old tree roots, and slippery leaves. Also it is very, very busy with commuters near the station. I had also had a few falls before my surgery ( probably due to poor balance due to my misaligned valgus knee).used my cane for 3-4 months, and more, if I was going to walk on uneven ground. It took me a while to regain my balance. I will admit, I caved to peer pressure when a friend motioned to my cane and said, when are you going to get rid of that? If I ever do this again, I’m going to buy a pretty cane
Great project, hope we all get to see it, thank you. With the bike I have been riding for awhile now and what works for me is starting the seat high so I can make a full revolution, then after a couple of minutes of warm up lower the seat, a couple of times until the most time on the bike is at the lowest seat position I can tolerate without cheating or significant pain. Good luck it does help loosen things up a bit. Glad to see your progress, stay strong!Wow, was so busy with a project, I didn’t do an 8 week update! I am generally doing well. I have spent considerable time in my wood shop this week trying to design a reproducible plaque as a memorial for fallen law enforcement officers in America. I have a potential donor who would fund the project and I needed proof or concept. At the 11th hour, I am happy with the project and now hope my donor will be as well. Time will tell.
Physical therapy is a bit painful currently. Not out of this earth painful, yet a strong discomfort. I should clarify it’s not the knee which hurts, rather my hamstring along with muscles on both the medial and lateral aspect of my knee. My therapist says my hamstring “quivers” while I am stretching it. She used a roller on it in an attempt to get it to relax some. It is fairly uncomfortable, but will survive. Walking in my shop without a cane, although to and from I still use it. I will be investing in pads to go in front of my machines, as walking on concrete (even with new shoes) is uncomfortable, mostly on my “old” knee, but some on the new knee too. I am still not 100% happy with my gait, but it is still improving. The therapist okayed me to try the stationary recumbent bike my wife drug home from her dad’s house. I need to take the time to adjust it and give it a whirl. Her only concern was me overdoing it. I assured her, I am an achiever, but not really an overachiever anymore.
Been taking care of the ladies (chickens) every night, which I find immense joy in. Tonight, I walked to the coop! It was a nice day! @Layla, you were spot on, the summer WILL be amazing with my new knee!
That is all I know, sitting with my polar cube on as I write this. Have a great weekend and enjoy the holiday if you celebrate it.
Please send us a photo when you are finished. What a wonderful project you have there!I have spent considerable time in my wood shop this week trying to design a reproducible plaque as a memorial for fallen law enforcement officers in America.

United States
). So my bride brought him home with her to train him with the plans of returning him to her dad once Leo settled down. Well within 2 minutes (literally) I knew we had a new addition, and her dad made a horrible mistake by not taking the time with him. Leo is a sweet, lovable boy, and our greyhound does well with him. Keep in mind, I dislike poodles and haven't had a male dog since childhood. He is quiet (unless he sees himself in the mirror, then he barks
), loves being on anyone's lap and is great with the grand daughters. He doesn't do steps yet, but am confident he will eventually. Sorry, maybe I should have posted that paragraph in the pet section, but I was on a roll typing.
United States
United States
CanadaThank you @Layla! You, throughout this journey, have been an inspiration for me, and I am very appreciative of your advice and kind words. I know that everyone’s mileage may vary, but overall, this was a positive experience for me. My new knee seems to be better than the old one. That is what is important. The early days were rough, but everyday I see some improvement. Not enough to jump up and down, but little things that mean so much. Thank you for your advice and kindness throughout this journey. It is much appreciated!Yay on kicking the cane to the curb! Glad you used it until you felt confident enough to let go of it.
It is liberating though, just as getting behind the wheel again is. It's wonderful you're able to work on your labor of love and spend time doing so outdoors. Congrats on the new addition to the family!
It sounds like you're slowly getting back to life and remain humble and grateful. You're a great inspiration and I enjoy following your journey. Many blessings to you, jakemedic!
@jakemedic