TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

You're having a Most Excellent recovery, Jake, and that's making us all exceedingly happy! :egypdance:
 
You're having a Most Excellent recovery, Jake, and that's making us all exceedingly happy! :egypdance:
Oh thanks so much! I appreciate your kind words. I am working hard at it, but still behaving myself. I go see the Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. Maybe I can get him to remove the rest of the tape cover. Surely, he has something to release the tape. Still have a tad bit of swelling and bruising, but nothing even close to how it was at first. My goal is to not even think “I’ve had a knee replacement”. My hips have been that good, I’m hopeful the knee will be too.
 
Hello! Doc appointment went well. Still trying to talk me into the left knee. I advised him that I’ll wait till the right one is healed first. Maybe next winter I’ll do it, but I want to focus on my current recovery and not worrying about the next one. All went well, follow up in 6 weeks, the end of April. next up, PT x2 this week and my annual physical on Friday. I hope everyone has a blessed week!
 
I'm glad to see everything is going very well for you! Isn't it nice with spring coming that the knee is getting better too? It's making me want to go outside more. I'm anxious to get my other knee done though and want to do it this summer because it holds me back and hurts more than the surgical one a lot of the time. Say hi to the chickens for me!
 
It is crazy town at the chicken house! I have been feeding, watering, cleaning up and of course enjoying them for the last few days. They get so excited when I go down to visit and collect eggs! I am using a cane for the most part and doing well with it. Made it out to my shop a few times, which went well too. I’m out of physical therapy visits and am awaiting insurance approval for more. I beat myself up overnight. I woke up with a bruise on my upper thigh, and was a bit stiff and sore. Ice and rest seemed to help with that pretty well. Might have been from the amount of work on the new knee yesterday? Not sure. I still am not pleased with my gait, but trying to focus on the heal to toe walking. Trying to make it more “natural”. I will see how that goes. Beyond that, recovery has been quite positive for the most part. I told a friend yesterday that every day it seems to improve, even if it is minute. I guess I am fortunate and blessed. Until next time!
 
Thanks for the update, jakemedic! It seems you're doing well as you're getting back into the swing of things and enjoying normal life. Heel-toe walking definitely felt unnatural to me also. I believe it does for many of us.
Your upbeat attitude and grateful heart is inspiring. Keep up the good work and have a wonderful Wednesday!
@jakemedic
 
Thanks for the update, jakemedic! It seems you're doing well as you're getting back into the swing of things and enjoying normal life. Heel-toe walking definitely felt unnatural to me also. I believe it does for many of us.
Your upbeat attitude and grateful heart is inspiring. Keep up the good work and have a wonderful Wednesday!
@jakemedic
Hello @Layla A quick update and question for you. First, the insurance company approved 8 more visits and I go back Friday. I’m so appreciative of the PT folks and credit them (along with me :heehee: ) in the success that I have experienced. On a negative note, am I overdoing it? I woke up this morning swollen and sore. Yesterday, I was bruised. Am I getting too carried away with my new found freedoms? Do I need to slow the heck down? Go ahead ma’am, if I didn’t want and respect your opinion, I wouldn’t ask for it. I so appreciate and am so blessed by this forum. Thanks in advance!
 
am I overdoing it?
You could be. It is common to overdo it once we begin feeling better. My best advice is to rest and ice for the pain and swelling, but keep in mind, swelling can last for many months and often increases with sitting for too long, or over activity, so you need to find a balance that works for you in these still early days...in the entire scheme of things. Try dialing it back again and then proceed slowly with the activity and keep this little scribble in mind.
[Bonesmart.org] Jake’s Got a New Knee

Overall I think you're doing really well! Happy Wednesday!
 
Glad to see your post, first you’re making a lot of progress. Coincidentally I felt like I took a step backwards today. I just came from the gym where I rode the stationary bike for 15 mins and it wasn’t great. Stretched out and I’m home now on the recliner with ice on the knee. Looking forward to Layla’s response as well. Certainly not a straight line to recovery.
 
Haha!
Our posts crossed and we both emphasized there's no straight line in this recovery. May rest and icing have you feeling better as the day progresses. :fingersx:
Happy Wednesday! @Jtmav
 
am I overdoing it?
You could be. It is common to overdo it once we begin feeling better. My best advice is to rest and ice for the pain and swelling, but keep in mind, swelling can last for many months and often increases with sitting for too long, or over activity, so you need to find a balance that works for you in these still early days...in the entire scheme of things. Try dialing it back again and then proceed slowly with the activity and keep this little scribble in mind.
[Bonesmart.org] Jake’s Got a New Knee

Overall I think you're doing really well! Happy Wednesday!
As always thanks so much! i so appreciate you!
 
Glad to see your post, first you’re making a lot of progress. Coincidentally I felt like I took a step backwards today. I just came from the gym where I rode the stationary bike for 15 mins and it wasn’t great. Stretched out and I’m home now on the recliner with ice on the knee. Looking forward to Layla’s response as well. Certainly not a straight line to recovery.
@Layla scribble is SO important! Ice, elevation and not overdoing it will be the key for sure. You got this my friend!
 
Do I need to slow the heck down?
I mean...I think sometimes you have to over-do it to know what your limit is right? lol Not in the extreme though - the bruising sounds no good. I've not overdone it that much. I can also tell when I over-do it because I'm SO tired - and want to nap - and I don't usually take naps these days. I've overdone it a few times and it's frustrating but in the end it got better in a few days. I hated going backwards tho.
 
I made my own sandwich today for lunch and had my bride bring it to me so it didn’t end up on the floor and Bella the greyhound having a delicious sandwich rather than me.
I have a couple small plastic containers with tight covers that I put my lunch in so that I can haul food safely to my recliner/tv tray “nest.” I also put my coffee or cold drinks in a screw top thermal cup for transport.
 
I made my own sandwich today for lunch and had my bride bring it to me so it didn’t end up on the floor and Bella the greyhound having a delicious sandwich rather than me.
I have a couple small plastic containers with tight covers that I put my lunch in so that I can haul food safely to my recliner/tv tray “nest.” I also put my coffee or cold drinks in a screw top thermal cup for transport.
I got to put that problem to rest when I ditched the walker for a cane. What a huge life improvement!! Now, if I could ditch the cane…… time will heal me and give me the strength to do that too! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!
 
Now, if I could ditch the cane…
I used my cane for 3-4 months, and more, if I was going to walk on uneven ground. It took me a while to regain my balance. I will admit, I caved to peer pressure when a friend motioned to my cane and said, when are you going to get rid of that? If I ever do this again, I’m going to buy a pretty cane, so I can use the excuse, it’s too pretty to put away! :heehee:
 
....this is why my "cane" is a Leki walking stick. I put on a Very Seriously Athletic air whilst using it :heehee:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom