TKR Jacimarble’s Left TKR

Crikey, that sounds quite hard core. Remember the BS way. I’ve only just cleaned and dried out my Cryocuffs today as found that actually hadn’t used any ice for a week, (finally at 16 weeks). I’m sure I also read somewhere on here that anything strength related comes much later. For the last month I’ve actually done a lot less, sticking to ADL’s, which have increased, stairs ( I have a lot) and regular walks around my area in an effort to reduce the stiffness and swelling.
 
I agree that it's too early for resistance bands which can place too much strain on healing soft tissues. Some gentle strengthening exercises and working on gait seem sufficient for only one month post op.
I hope the icing has helped with pain and swelling. Happy Thursday, Jacimarble, hope it's a good one!
@Jacimarble
 
resistance band work, extension and flexion, and simple stretches.
I definitely wouldn't recommend resistance bands this early on. I think it is very likely to cause inflammation, swelling and pain.
I didn't introduce any resistance bands or weights until after 6 months. This is a marathon not a sprint. It is better to do less early on and persevere with exercises into the later months/ second year.
 
@Jacimarble I understand your desire to get on with recovery. But please keep in mind that soft tissue takes 12 weeks to heal from the surgical trauma. That's why it is not wise to use resistance bands or weights at this early stage of recovery.

Please be careful! We want you to have a successful recovery without unnecessary pain!
 
Crikey, that sounds quite hard core. Remember the BS way. I’ve only just cleaned and dried out my Cryocuffs today as found that actually hadn’t used any ice for a week, (finally at 16 weeks).
I actually still iced for about 6-7 months- I found it soothing after a long walk or busy day out. So don't feel bad if you pull it out again.
 
Week five update

Things are progressing well. This week has been a little easier, mostly moving with one crutch, at times at home with none, but still limping quite a bit.
Gym rehab this week caused swelling and stiffness, so I’ll talk to the Physio and exercise physiologist about how much is too much.
Still icing and elevating every day, although I haven’t needed as many afternoon naps this week. And last night I slept for six hours straight!! That makes a difference.
I went and sat in the car today and tried pressing the pedals - just to see if I could. And I could without any difficulty- even the clutch. ( one of the few times I have regretted having a manual car is after a left TKR!). I don’t have clearance to drive yet, but I expect to get it when I see the surgeons assistant next week.

I’ve been out for a couple of short (200m) walks up and down the street this week just for a change of scenery.

Looking forward to being allowed to go in the pool next week. Scar is fully healed.
 
These are all wonderful milestones you’ve reached. Congratulations!!! You should have a smiling surgeon’s assistant when you see him next week.

I hope your therapist will understand the need to modify your therapy at this early stage so that you’re not doing as much. The swelling and stiffness are directly a result of overdoing things. Remember you are in charge of your recovery and you can ask that things be pared back for a while until your body can handle it.
 
Hello and Happy Friday!
Hopefully you feel comfortable enough with your PT to mention that you noticed after your last session that you were pretty sore, more than you expected, and while you want to continue making progress you only want to do exercises that don't leave you in discomfort or pain afterward. With any luck your PT will understand and modify your sessions accordingly. :thumb: Lots to look forward to, better sleep, driving and the pool!
You're doing it, Jacimarble, keep up the good work!
@Jacimarble
 
6 weeks update
Physio and surgeons assistants visits this week

Physio - did listen when I said it took three days to get over last weeks beginning. This week has been easier and we are monitoring how it goes. Rom 110 which we are all pleased about

SA - also very pleased. Happy with rom, happy with movement, happy with pain control - suggested I drop off one celebrex and only take one at night, continuing with Panadol 2-3 times a day (the two is when I forget to take a dose and then it catches up with me!)
Most importantly I got clearance for the pool (yay), and for driving (double yay).

Both Physio and SA said I can now use cream on the scar area

Mobility - often just walking at home, still one crutch when outside.
My test drive was up to the bakery for coffee and a donut! No problems with using the clutch.

Reminding myself to make haste slowly, so yesterday was a rest day after the “excitements” of Tuesday and Wednesday.

I have a meeting on Monday to discuss return to work. I am due back on Wednesday. I feel ready to go back (mentally) and school will help with the necessary adjustments to make it easier physically (less moving between classes, space for putting leg up, time off for rehab and rest). There is only 5 weeks left of the school year in Aus, then I get 5 weeks holiday (more recovery time), so I think it is manageable.

I feel very lucky to have had such an “easy” recovery this time. Let’s hope it stays that way for the next 11 months and onwards
 
Great report! It sounds like you will be able to manage going back to work. You're doing a good job of planning ahead and listening to the messages your body gives you when you need to slow down a little. You'll be tired for a while, but it will get better. Just be sure not to plan any other errands, home chores, or other big activity on the days you're in school until you know you can handle it.
 
Great update, @Jacimarble! I hope your return to work goes smoothly. As Jamie said, plan your non-work activities with the expectation that you will be very tired at the end of the school day. The energy drain from recovery will likely continue for another couple of months.

Keep us posted.
 
You're moving right along, making wonderful progress! I'll bet your work colleagues will be happy to see you and have you back for the last five weeks before school is out. It's great that the school will accommodate your needs as you finish off the year. That has to be comforting. I wish you well as you return next week, let us know how it goes. Happy Friday...enjoy the weekend!
@Jacimarble
 
7 week update
I went back to school and was welcomed back by all my kids
All my classes have been moved to one building and I have no yard duties to minimise walking. I was no more swollen or sore than I expected, and I did keep the Panadol to schedule and iced and elevated when not in class. I was tired but it was manageable.

I have nothing scheduled this weekend so I can rest :-). I did have a little nap in between watching the cricket.

Mobility is good. I am starting to walk around without a stick and with less limping. I did use my stick at school
I even did a small shop this morning, just using the trolley to walk.

I had a little hit at the golf course last night, using a cart, and only medium range sticks. It was good but I don’t feel I am up to playing even a nine hole round yet. I might do a bit of range practice this week - my chipping could benefit from the practice!
 
Great report!
Sounds like you are doing really well. Just try to rest plenty on your days off.
 
Good the read that your first days back at school went well, @Jacimarble. It sounds like the administration is accommodating your recovery. That's great!

I even did a small shop this morning, just using the trolley to walk.
I always found that using the shopping cart/trolley worked well. With 2-handed support I limped less than with the cane. Almost like using a rolling walker!

Sounds like you are doing well. Just remember you are still early days. Listen to your body; it will let you know what it's ready for -- and not.
 
Great update, Jaci!
With the end of school and Aussie Summer quickly approaching you'll have all the more healing under your belt and likely be able to spend more time getting back into golf. I hope you have a good week! :SUNsmile:
@Jacimarble
 
You are doing so well, excellent job. Just keep in the bad of your mind that its very easy to over do it - and you don't want to join that club! Its much better to do less than you can than to overdo. (And yes, that is the voice of experience speaking!)

Great job.
 
Week 8 update
I managed quite well at school this week.. until…… I’ll get to that!
Very pleased and grateful for the accomodations school has made so that I can be back at work and that has been going well.
Saw the physio last Tuesday and they could not believe that rom was 120. She measured it twice to be sure. We were both very happy.
Then on Thursday I joined the Odic club. I took my science classes up to the oval (only about 50m away, but far enough), then after school the staff had a fun night at the local pitch and put golf course, which of course I went to, and that pushed it just a little too far! Hello ODIC. (Had to happen at some stage)
Rest and ice Thursday night and Friday.
Didn’t rest on the weekend much - drove 3 hours to catch up with friends and attend a teddy bear making workshop.
Luckily today is a Student free, report writing day so I can spend the day with my leg up and the rest of the week is pretty quiet.

The leg is good, just swollen and stiff when I’ve been pushing it too much. Medication is down to Panadol morning and night (unless I really feel like I need one in the middle of the day). I could probably get away with none if I was still just sitting around all day.
Walking without a stick at home and in “safe” places. Still have a stick at school and places like the shops.
Every week is a little easier.
 
Sounds amazing but do try to take it easy.
I can't imagine driving 3 hours especially early on like you.
That would annoy my knee and back even now three years later!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom