TKR Jacimarble’s Left TKR

You may benefit from putting the Panadol on a three times a day schedule for now (every six to eight hours depending on your usual sleep-wake schedule).

We're all different but I never was that swollen yet at your stage was still icing near continuously while awake to help pain from inflammation.

You do sashiko?? Very cool. If you can post some pics to our crafts page I know I'd love to see and I bet others will too!
 
Last edited:
I iced almost continuously for three weeks, then a little less. It helped with the pain and swelling.
I read, crocheted, played silly IPad games, watched repeats on Tv and once I was more mobile started on jigsaws. I’ve done 5 so far.
At your stage I was on paracetamol 3 x day, and I am again on it after last week’s major blip, as well as ibuprofen 2 x day after meals. I started the ibuprofen on Thursday and 4 days in it’s beginning to take effect on the inflammation. As instructed I have also temporarily cut back on exercise.
I will have to go and look up Sashito, I’ve never heard of it.
Keep going, you’re doing great.
 
A good report from the surgeons assistant today - 3 weeks post op.
Dressing was removed and incision looks good - dry and healing nicely.
Doc was pleased I am progressing on one crutch and pain is controlled with Panadol.
He said to continue with ice and elevation, and post op exercises.
Physio starts next week
So far so good - everything is progressing as it should
 
Great update!
Don't let PT bully you into letting them actively manipulate your baby knee. Here's hoping you get an up to date pro who understands the need to heal.
And please keep us up to date on even the tiny milestones you accomplish so we can celebrate with you!
 
We're all different but I never was that swollen yet at your stage was still icing near continuously while awake to help pain from inflammation.
Agree with this.
I continued icing for months. I would have a good walk in the morning and then rest and ice in the afternoon with a book/ newspaper.
 
Had my first “day out” yesterday - apart from doctors visits.
I went to an afternoon tea at my golf club. It was a special day - Memorial Day - a day when we have a round in memory of a past member and invite their family. It was good to get out and talk to people! It was also good to push the leg just a little with the extra walking and standing.
I paid for it with an uncomfortable night last night - waking up lots of times to stretch and adjust position, but it was worth it. And I know what caused it, I know what to do about it and I know it will improve. That’s the biggest difference with knee number 2 - I know what to do and I know it will improve in time (patience muscle engaged).
Today is definitely a rest day, with the leg up and iced and games, tv and craft!
 
Yes, sometimes it's worth it, and alternating a more active day with a rest day is a good plan.
 
Getting out of the house for fun, is so uplifting, even worth the extra pain afterward, most of the time! I couple of days with increased icing and elevating should be helpful in relieving that discomfort.
 
Socializing is wonderful early on if you're able. It's great to feel you're part of the world again. Glad you were able to participate and hope after a day of rest you're feeling better today. Let us know...and have a great week!
@Jacimarble
 
Patience muscle being engaged again. I had another day out yesterday, and am paying the price again today
Looking forward to the time when energy and knee are in sync and I can do stuff again!!
First physio appointment tomorrow - I’m interested in what they will have to say. I think my mobility and RoM are good for this point in my recovery.
The thing that is annoying me most at the moment is swelling, particularly later in the day, but only time is going to help that (and ice and elevation)
 
You’re so right….patience. You are just at the beginning of this journey at less than a month out. Sorry you overdid things. Do try to find a balance between activity and rest each day. Usually until at least 3 months out, it’s best to only plan one “thing” per day. Don’t try to lump multiple errands, errands and exercises, or a long activity just yet. Those things come gradually and later in your recovery.
 
Hi Jacimarble,
How did your physio appointment go yesterday? Hope you're feeling okay today.
Let us know when you have the time. A great weekend to you!
@Jacimarble
 
Physio appointment went well. Scar is healing nicely and looking good. Mobility is good with one crutch, and I am managing small distances at home with no crutch.
I can lift my leg with no problems:-)
Rom was measured at 95*!! Very happy with that.
Physio added sit stand exercise and calf raises to my at home exercises and continue doing heel slides.
I go into the gym next week for an exercise program - I don’t know what that will look like yet. Hydro after the surgeons assistant signs off for the pool at the 6 week post op - I’m looking forward to that.
All up a very positive journey so far.

The swelling after activity is annoying, but expected and managed with ice and elevation.

Baby knee is still very good at telling me when it considers I have done too much.
 
Great report!!! So happy to hear it. Keep on doing what you're doing and things should continue to progress nicely. Exercising your patience muscle is paying off! :heehee:
 
What an encouraging update, Jaci! Thanks for sharing. Those following behind may gain confidence through reading of the possibilities at one month post op. Just think....it's going to get even better. :yes: :thumb:
Enjoy the day and week!
@Jacimarble
 
:wave:Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great day and week. :thumb:
@Jacimarble
 
Had gym rehab yesterday. Floor pedals, and resistance band work, extension and flexion, and simple stretches.

It all went well, but last night and today I have swelling and stiffness of course. Ice and elevate!!

I’m tired today which always makes me feel a bit more down/bored/frustrated.

Patience muscle being engaged!!
 
For many of us 4 weeks post op is a bit early for resistance bands, so monitor your pain and swelling after each session, and postpone their use until more healing has taken place, if you think you should. Personally, I declined the use of any bands during the 8 weeks I went to PT, and my PT never tried to change my mind.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom