TKR Jacimarble’s Left TKR

You've got this, @Jacimarble. That swelling and stiffness is perfectly normal during the early days.

Do try to get to toes-above-nose when you elevate. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it does make a difference in reducing the swelling.

Sleep - I’m on a self determined sleep whenever you feel like it schedule today I felt like it
Yes!!!
 
Although swelling by the end of the day is normal, it can be an indicator that you are attempting too much this early in your recovery. Watch what you’re doing and how much time you’re spending either on your feet or sitting with your legs down. Gravity takes any fluid into your lower extremities. You want to be spending a majority of your day with your leg elevated and iced for the first month or two.
 
Day 7
A pretty bland day. I woke up tired and spent a lot more of today dozing. I seem to be on a good day, blah day schedule so maybe tomorrow will be a good day.
I tried elevating a bit higher and I do have less swelling today
Good things today
??? Not much
I finished a book and started another
I emptied half the dishwasher (other half tomorrow!)
As I said a bland day.
 
The blah days are pretty common in early recovery, which you may well remember from your first TKR, those ups and downs are actually a normal part of the healing process. You're doing great, Jaci, even on the slower days.
One day at a time, brighter days ahead! :SUNsmile:
@Jacimarble
 
End of week 1 beginning of week 2

Off the strong painkillers and just using paracetamol and celecoxib. I have back up stronger stuff if needed, but it hasn’t been necessary the last day or so.
More stiffness, bruising, swelling than pain - elevate and ice!!

Some energy drain, but my plan for this first two weeks was sleep when needed, so that is what I have done. Very glad I set up my daybed in the living area. Managing to sleep almost normally through the night - wake up once or twice for a movement adjustment and stretch.

Managing ADL successfully on an as needed or as inclined basis. Even did a load of washing yesterday - hung in the airer inside (not unusual!). Where they will probably stay until I need to wear those clothes.

Not bored yet and cabin fever hasn’t set in, quite happy just to potter about and rest at home.

All in all progressing as expected!
 
What a sensible recovery you are having, and you are doing well with it!
 
First tears today - for no real reason. Just feeling like I’ve plateaued- not progressing with movement, not improving with pain/swelling/stiffness.

I’m not in enough pain that I feel like I need strong painkillers, but ice, elevation and paracetamol are not enough. I’m just off the edge of being uncomfortable.
I’m not doing many exercises - a few heel slides and ADL.

And I guess at day 11, things gave settled into a sameness routine with nothing to really look forward to this week.
 
Bless ya…… those teary days catch me out too , they come on for no reason!
Be kind to yourself….. getting out in the fresh air for a few minutes a day is really helping me……
I’m nearly 4 weeks out and I still have days where my leg is stiff and my bend feels rubbish….. hang in there…. I’m sure you’re doing great x
 
Don't hold back those tears, they are very helpful, both physically and emotionally. Tears actually help to flush out toxins, and that's a very good thing!
 
I suggest that you go ahead and take some of your pain medication. You can always spread out the timing between doses, but if you are still uncomfortable with paracetamol, then that’s your body saying you need something more. Pain takes many forms and it isn’t always some sharp or even measurable. Your general discomfort and feelings of depression can mean that your pain isn’t being properly managed. You aren’t even two weeks out yet from this very major surgery. It’s okay to take pain medications when you need them.
 
Pain med, fresh air, and any bit of pampering you can do will help ease you. Sending a ((hug))
 
An update on the last 48 hours!!!
After the tears on Tuesday night I did take extra pain relief and had a good nights sleep.
Yesterday was a nice spring day, so I decided to sit outside for a while, which was very nice, but…. It came with consequences.
Something out there bit me, which set off a reaction. My hands got increasing itchy during the day, then started swelling. By bedtime my index and middle fingers were definitely swollen, at 2am it had extended to my hand so I got online and made a doctors appointment (yay for online bookings!!).
By morning my hands were swollen and my eyes starting to get puffy. Sent out an SOS to friends to get a driver to the doctor - I have very nice friends!
Doctor agreed it was an allergic/immune reaction and prescribed antihistamines and cortisone cream. I am now much more comfortable and the swelling is starting to reduce a little.
Fortunately there was no shortness of breath or facial swelling, apart from puffy eyes.
I’ve never had a reaction like this before and I have no idea what the thing was that bit me!

Today’s good things
Prompt response from friends when I sent out the SOS. I am going to have to think of some nice thank you gifts
we got coffee and a donut, while we were out.
I also got a food delivery today with a couple of treats.
Concern over hands swelling totally took my mind of the new knee
 
Oh you poor thing!! I hope you get better very quickly….. Glad you got some treats with your shopping, you certainly deserve some!! Sending hugs x
 
Oh no, how scary! Yay for everything coming together for prompt attention. (And double yay for coffee and a donut!!!)
 
I'm sorry to read about the bite and swelling. That's the last thing you needed as you began recovering from your TKR. I guess the bug bite stole the spotlight from your new knee, lol. :wink:
Glad you saw a doctor, received prompt care and you are back on Recovery Road. :walking:
A great weekend to you, Jacimarble!
@Jacimarble
 
Where are we - day 16.
Baby knee is at that stage where sometimes it is all right ( comfortable) and sometimes it is not (uncomfortable, swollen, tight, tired)

Today is a not comfortable day.

There doesn’t seem to be any noticeable reason for comfort or not. I’m only doing ADL, and mostly sitting (with leg up) or lying and doing craft or reading or stupid iPad games.

I’ve cut back on painkillers only taking celebrex twice a day and Panadol as needed. I’m wondering if I still should be taking the Panadol more regularly to keep the uncomfortableness more under control. On a pain scale this uncomfortableness is about a 2.

Currently sitting with leg elevated and contemplating getting ice. I guess if I’m contemplating it I should do it!!

Good things that have happened
I got a gorgeous bunch of flowers
Swelling from the reaction has settled
Finished an Sashiko embroidery and another book
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom