TKR It's The HoneyB's Knees

Has anybody else purchased a Lounge Doctor leg pillow and found it to be extremely uncomfortable? I wasn't very faithful at elevating knee #1, but am trying hard to do a good job of elevating with knee #2. I bought a Lounge Doctor pillow, but it causes a good bit of pain to the lower, inside of my knee when I elevate.

Somebody else said the same thing just recently and I think she said she is a shorter person. Maybe the lounge Dr is better for taller people.

I can’t remember who that was.

It comes in different sizes for people of different heights. I ordered the smallest one. It seems to fit me like the ones shown in the photos on the website, but so far it's $120 worth of knee pain. I'll fiddle with adding some padding here and there to see if I can make it work. If I can't make it work for elevating my leg, I'm sure my grandbaby will find something fun to do with it. :)

@HoneyB I have not been able to make the Lounge Doctor work for me. I can’t figure out the problem! It seems to be too tall or something. Like you, I ordered the smallest one but it’s just not a good fit. I pinned 3 pillows together as shown in the articles here and am using that instead. It’s not totally comfortable, but a lot better (for me) than the Lounge Doctor. I was so disappointed!!

What tens unit do you have and where did you get it?

I bought a cheaper version of the Lounge Doctor (looks very similar - same shape) but I find that after a few mins it starts to hurt the back of my knee. I think the foam is very firm and my leg is very tender! I’ve put a couple of feather cushions over it and that does help quite a lot. :) Hope you manage to make it work for you because they are quite a bit of money aren’t they?

@Jockette - I got my TENS at CVS Pharmacy. It is Model EM44, Item Number 459974. I've attached a photo. It's about the same size as my iPhone and has a belt clip on the back.

@ChrissiG - My granddaughter is using my Lounge Doctor as a sofa for her baby dolls. I also tried adding extra padding, but it hurt the back of my leg and my knee no matter what I tried.

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 269
Thank you for that info and especially the picture!

I’m actually asking because my husband is having so much back pain, I wondered if he should try it.

The Big Italian Family have a few TENS units they pass around for back pain. They swear by them for that!

Glad to hear you found a use for the Lounge Doctor. I can see it as a doll sofa! :SUNsmile:

I saw my surgeon this morning for my New Knee #2 (RTKR) two-week checkup. All is well. All bandages have been removed so I can now shower like a normal person and scrub away all of the ink from surgery. Since my knees are custom-made, they're not quite a matched set, but now the only thing between me and two good knees is a few more weeks of physical therapy. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter! My surgeon must not have been too worried about my ROM because he didn’t measure it. He said it looked like it was at least 0 – 95.

Yesterday at therapy, my therapist measured my ROM as 0 – 100 on my own, and 0 – 105 if he gently pushed it. He said he could easily push it to 110, but I told him, “No, thanks. We’ll save that fun for another day.”

Attachments

• TKR-L IMG_9022.jpg
    TKR-L IMG_9022.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 243
  • TKR-R IMG_0821.jpg
    TKR-R IMG_0821.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 221
Your ROM is great!
Well done, for saying no further pushing on your knee. 100 degrees bend without assistance is the number that counts. The rest shows that your knee has the potential to continue to bend further, given time.

I pedaled the exercise bike in complete backward revolutions for eight minutes today in physical therapy. Maybe I’ll be able to do forward revolutions next week.

In other news, I told the physical therapist that I’m having trouble keeping my right foot pointed straight forward when I walk. My right foot wants to turn out slightly to the right. I told him that when I force my right foot to point straight forward, it feels like my knee is turning slightly inward, and I wondered if my new right knee was aligned correctly. My therapist said that this problem with my foot is caused by my right hip being slightly forward of my left hip. He had noted that during my pre-surgery evaluation. He said my leg looks like my knee is properly aligned, and that the right hip forward problem is just a muscular problem that we can fix. We started working on it today with a 15-minute stretch that will stretch my hip flexor muscles and will start getting my right hip into the correct position. The stretch sounded like it was going to be 15 minutes of relaxation, but I should have known better. It was long and gentle, but it sure was NOT relaxing. I was glad to hear the PT say that it was just a muscular problem. I had mentioned to my OS yesterday that my leg/foot felt like it wasn't straight. He also said the alignment looked good in the x-rays and in person.

Wow, I’m impressed with your progress! I about had a heart attacking when I made 1 full backward rotation on the bike at 4 weeks lol still can’t do it at 6 weeks.

@pacosmom - It took me a little longer with knee #1. It had to because, at this point with knee #1, I hadn't even started to out-patient PT. One thing I like about my new PT group is that it is very individualized and one-on-one.

I love my Lounge Dr., but I am 5'10"ish. I ordered the large size and I just love it. I still use it most days even though I no longer ice. I keep it on the day bed in my office and I hop on the bed (well, not hop, but you know what I mean) between students, prop my legs on the Lounge Dr., pop the ear buds in, turn on the environmental sounds (rain is my fave) and power nap. Its heaven. I'm so sorry you don't like yours @HoneyB but glad you have repurposed it so your grand girl can have some fun.

I was thrilled a few minutes ago to be able to pedal complete forward rotations on my exercise bike with knee #2. I only did it for about 5 minutes because I had already been pedaling backward for several minutes. It feels like a milestone for me, probably because it was my favorite knee exercise with knee #1. Now I can look for something good on the giant basement TV and pedal away. :biking:

Congratulations on doing the forward rotation on the bike. :yes!: :yay: :flwrysmile:

Warning: Here’s another “novel.”

Did I tell y’all how much I dreaded my RTKR going into it so soon after my LTKR? Well, I really dreaded it, but I’m finding that time seems to be going by faster the second time around. Even though my RTKR rehab probably isn't any easier physically, I'm finding it to be easier mentally. For one thing, when I have trouble doing an ADL or a PT activity, I know that activity will probably be easier next week....or even tomorrow. I just feel better prepared this time and a lot of that is probably mental preparation. Also, even though they're a little more "gung-ho", I really like the rehab group I'm using this time. They push me, but they don't over-push me. For example, yesterday they put me in one of the various knee machines (one where I'd sit in the chair/bench with a bar across the front of my ankles and raise the bar by straightening my legs to lift weights) and asked me to give it a try. When I couldn't even budge it, they held up the bar for me and asked me to try just straightening my right leg to the point where it didn't cause pain. Keep in mind that the chair/bench for this machine is tilted back. When I could only raise my leg a couple of inches in that position without pain, they simply said, "Ok, you're not ready for this exercise. We'll give it a try again next week and see if you're ready." No berating, no “try harder.” We simply moved to a different machine that I COULD do which was a kind of "opposite" machine. The bar was behind my ankle/calves and I pushed down (bent my knees) to raise the weights.

Based on past experience, I went into rehab for my second TKR thinking that I wouldn't LET them make me do anything I didn't want to do, but I'm finding that they don't try to MAKE me do anything I'm not ready to do, even though they do encourage me to do as much as I'm able.

Today I was able to pedal their exercise bike forward (which seems harder to me than pedaling my exercise bike forward), and do a leg press machine using only my right leg, where I’d been using both legs. Granted, with both legs I was lifting 40 pounds for 30 reps relatively easily, and with just my right leg I was lifting only 10 pounds for 20 reps, but I could do it. I like that they tell me exactly which muscle I’m working on with each exercise and each machine.

I’ve attached a photo of my current nemesis stretch/exercise. I'm using the opposite leg positions from what's shown in the photo. My right leg is the straight leg. It’s tough! We’re working on my right hip flexor and working to move my right hip back into position. My right hip is a little bit forward of my left hip, and it’s causing me to turn my right foot a little bit outward when I walk. They said this right hip position is probably the result of how I’ve been sitting at my desk for the past 30 years.

Attachments

• Supine Groin Stretch - IMG_0833.jpg
    Supine Groin Stretch - IMG_0833.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 256

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties