TKR It's The HoneyB's Knees

How nice to have both legs the same length and to look "level." Good luck with the stretching. I know one I used often while lying on the floor was with a band around the foot, stretching the lag across my body and holding it for counts of 30. I still like that stretch.
 
I've just returned from a 5-day trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida with my husband, son, daughter (7 months pregnant), son-in-law, and 4-year-old granddaughter. I'm happy to say that both TKRs stood up to the test. I averaged walking 8.5 miles per day, and walked 10.5 miles one day. My feet got tired, but I had NO problems with my knees. I did have a little bit of swelling in my left ankle, but it wasn't bothersome. I've been to WDW many times, but it was so much fun to see the magic of Disney through a 4-year-old's eyes. She did the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique experience where, in Cinderella's castle, she was transformed into her favorite Disney princess, Princess Anna from Frozen. It was the "most Disney" thing ever - truly magical. I've attached some photos of my family and our princess. That's me in the orange t-shirt.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] It's The HoneyB's Knees
    120CFFD6-0165-4089-8979-8635D0D7E7A2.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 341
  • [Bonesmart.org] It's The HoneyB's Knees
    73C48323-25F4-430C-84EE-5DE7A7147E5D.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 280
  • [Bonesmart.org] It's The HoneyB's Knees
    94CC9C76-1426-4F1F-A7CE-7DCEC5CA18F8.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 288
Congratulations! What a "magical" time for everyone - and especially you. Very impressive mileage on those knees - especially since so much of it surely was navigating around crowds. What an adorable little princess you have.
 
Congratulations what a great post for us all to see , it's so good for our morals on this journey to see the "future " recoveries and success stories.
Wishing you continued success with both ypur knees and many more wonderful outings with your family.
Lovely photos too xx
 
One of my knees was 2 years old February 19 and the other will be 2 years old in June. They've continued to improve a bit at a time. I still have better ROM in my left than in my right, but I've decided to ignore that because I think it'll always be that way. As far as walking goes, they both are doing great and I've decided that's a success.
 
This is AMAZING!! Wishing you so many years of happy family vacations!! Hard work pays off in spades!
 
Great to hear you're doing well. The photos are fabulous. What a lovely family you have. Great when you can all get together and make such wonderful memories to hold on to. A new grandbaby on the horizon too. Congratulations!
 
This isn't a post about my two TKRs, which are both still doing fine. Amid the COVID-19 isolation requirements, I'm still enjoying a daily 2.5-mile walk around my neighborhood and chatting (shouting) with neighbors from long distances.

In my part of the USA (Gulf Coast of Alabama), the COVID-19 situation is causing grocery shopping problems. I noticed today on Facebook that Schwans food delivery has a 50% discount with free home delivery for new customers. Not knowing what the grocery shopping situation will be in the next few weeks (surely people will start acting sensibly soon), I decided to order our Easter ham. With the 50% off coupon (type in FIFTY at checkout) for new customers, I got an 8.5-pound, spiral-sliced (bone in) ham, chocolate silk pie, and dinner rolls for about $34 with free delivery to my home. Seemed worth a try. At least I'll know we'll have ham and rolls. The meat selection at our local grocery stores has been pitiful the past two weeks.

I apologize if this type of post isn't allowed. I thought others, especially those with new knees, might benefit from this at-home shopping opportunity, especially if they're also having to isolate at home.
 
@HoneyB ... in normal times something like this wouldn't be permitted because of our forum rules about posting about specific commercial businesses. But we are definitely NOT in normal times!

BoneSmart will be setting up an area very soon where members can share tips and ideas on how to cope with all the lifestyle changes that have come about as a result of the coronavirus. For now your post will remain here. But at some point, we'll probably move it to that area so more people can find the information.

Thank you so much for thinking of your fellow BoneSmarties.
 
@Jamie - I understand completely! It's so disappointing to go to the store and find little there that we want or need. I would imagine it's even more disappointing for those who are having trouble making the trip. I've never ordered food from this company. I hope it's good. Good luck to all in this odd situation we're going through!
 
I have a friend who uses Schwan's a lot. He loves the food. It can be a bit pricey, but if it's good, I'd say that's a "win."
 
Hi - I've been absent for a while. I had two TKRs in 2018 (left in February 2018 and right in June 2018). I'm happy to say that both are still feeling great. In fact, I think mine have continued to improve in small ways continuously over all these years.

Now the reason for this post. I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis, and I'm worried about how that will affect my TKRs. I plan to make an appointment to discuss it with my surgeon, but I'm freaking out a little in the meantime. So far, I'm not taking any prescribed medications for osteoporosis. My mother and older sister both had bad side effects from the various osteoporosis medicines they tried so I'm also freaking out about that. I saw a nurse practitioner that specializes in osteoporosis, and she agreed that I could start out with just adding calcium and D3 supplements, and then get rescanned in a year to see how that's going. She said I should expect to have to take prescribed medications eventually.

I'm wondering if anyone has insight on the effects of osteoporosis on existing TKRs. Thanks!
 
Hello HoneyB. It's so good to read that your knees are doing well! I've not heard anyone comment on how osteo would affect a joint replacement. Hopefully, someone will add some insight.
 
Starting January 2025, we started a new membership program to help keep Bonesmart online. Just to let you know, you are currently a Basic Member.

If you want a more personal experience, I hope you will choose one of our subscription options to become a member of the Insiders Club. Here are some links for you to check out:
Membership/Insiders Club
Guidelines for Posting

You can also join the Insiders Club easily by clicking on your username and avatar and then selecting MEMBERSHIP in the drop-down menu.

We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

All our subscriptions renew automatically unless you cancel your membership before the renewal date. If you want just a 6-month subscription, you can purchase that option, wait a few days, and then cancel it. Your membership will go until the end of your 6-month period and will not renew. But you must cancel it to make this work.

Once you cancel, an expiration date will appear in your profile under MEMBERSHIP.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom