TKR It's The HoneyB's Knees

We tend to forget pain, otherwise we might stop doing... just about everything. It is a lot like childbirth in that way. That's one reason talking to people about their years' old TKRs is a little tricky: many don't accurately remember how painful those early days were, or how long it took for their knee(s) to get back to normal.
 
I think it's like having a baby. The pain is awful soon forgotten as the weeks go by and you're enjoying that knew gift!
Recovery is a lot faster from childbirth! Even after the 39 hours of labor I had with my first one. It’s a miracle we ever had 2 more! :rotfl:
 
Recovery is a lot faster from childbirth! Even after the 39 hours of labor I had with my first one. It’s a miracle we ever had 2 more! :rotfl:

I beg to differ. It took 18 years to recover from each of my three kids! In fact, I'm not sure I'm done even now... they reproduced!!!
 
New Knee #2, Day 5 - I was told that no two new knees are alike, even when they're in the same body. I'm finding that to be true. At first I was disappointed that #2 was more swollen and less "bendy" than #1, but #2 has its good points. For one, it doesn't ache like #1. With #1, I would feel pretty good during the day, but would lie awake ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT FOR SEVEN WEEKS because it would ache from my butt to the sole of my foot all night. #2 does not ache. I can lie in bed with it fully extended with no pillow under it and sleep until my alarm wakes me for my meds. I then fall right back asleep and sleep until the next alarm. YAY!!!! In general, it feels a little bit better every day. Physical therapy is going well. I could do more today in PT session #2 than I did Wednesday in PT session #1. I really, really like the PT group I'm using for knee #2. I also liked the group I used for knee #1, but this group is very good, and I think the change in routine is nice.

Bottom Line: If you need knee replacement surgery, don't put it off and live in pain. The surgery isn't fun, but it's probably not going to be as bad as you might expect. Get some new knees and get back out there to enjoy life.
 
@Celle - Could you please add (ConforMIS iTotal) to my Right TKR signature info so that it matches my Left TKR info? Thanks!
 
LTKR Week 15, RTKR Day 6: My two new knees and I went to a wedding today to watch my granddaughter be the flower girl. I wore a long, loose skirt and wrapped an ice pack around my knee. :loveshwr:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] It's The HoneyB's Knees
    Mary Madison #4 6-9-2018 IMG_6795.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 323
  • [Bonesmart.org] It's The HoneyB's Knees
    34907738_10216946254436459_3756829884043755520_n.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 297
Going to a wedding on Day 6 was brave. I hope you an rest up well today.
 
Ahh the cutest little flower girl I ever saw! No wonder you went and lots of KUDOS to you for managing the effort!
 
@sistersinhim - I feel pretty well. In general, I have more pain and swelling with new knee #2 than I had with #1, but it's not horrible. The only really bothersome pain is knee cap pain that I get when trying to raise my right leg to the front. When I lie on my back and try to do a straight leg raise with my right leg, it feels like my knee cap is going to sever my upper leg from my lower leg. I can raise my leg in other directions (lying on my stomach and raising my right leg up behind me, lying on my left side and raising my right leg to the side, lying on my right side with my left leg crossed over the right, and raising my right leg under the crook of my left leg) with no problems. I worked on this front leg raise at PT last Friday. The therapist would raise my leg for me and I would try to hold it up while he kept his hand just below my leg as it slowly lowered to the mat. He said it's a hamstring pain even though I feel it in my knee cap. When I get past that, things will be so much better. I didn't sleep for seven weeks with knee #1. I'm sleeping fine with knee #2. I sleep from alarm to alarm, wake up to take my meds, and go right back to sleep. I hope this knee cap thing passes soon.

This won't be a big hit with the bonesmarties, but I skipped home PT this time and went directly to out-patient PT. I had my surgery on Monday, came home from the hospital on Tuesday, and went to PT on Wednesday. PT consisted mostly of very gentle massage with very gentle (no pain) bending. Any time I said something hurt, the therapist stopped immediately and moved his massage or my leg position to a point of no pain. When I went into therapy, I could bend my knee very little beyond straight. When I left (after about an hour), the therapist could gently bend it to 90 degrees with no pain. However, he said I would not be able to bend it like that by myself and shouldn't even try. This PT clinic (different one from my first) is very hands-on and very one-on-one, specializing in massage and very supervised use of exercise equipment/machines. I went twice before surgery to get a feel for it, and I've been twice since surgery. So far, I really, really like it. I'll keep y'all posted because it's very contrary to what I thought I would want to do. This place and my therapist have received rave reviews from patients and doctors for more than 30 years. I was even brave enough to ask my previous therapists what they had heard about this clinic, and they all said they'd never heard anything but good stuff about it. I went based on the recommendation of a friend who went there after a knee replacement with lots of post-surgery complications, and the recommendation of a friend who suffered balance and shoulder/neck problems after complications from a dental root canal procedure. Fingers crossed.
 
He said it's a hamstring pain even though I feel it in my knee cap.
From my experience, I believe your pain could very well be in the kneecap area. I had the same type pain for years before my kneecaps were removed. After the patellectomies, no more pain in that area. Does ice help you there? Since your new knee is an infant, please continue to be very gentle with her!

I skipped home PT this time and went directly to out-patient PT.
You could even have waited at least a month to go to outpatient PT, giving your knee more time to heal. Doing your daily activities moving around and using your knee is enough exercise for it.

the therapist could gently bend it to 90 degrees with no pain. However, he said I would not be able to bend it like that by myself and shouldn't even try.
Ut oh, you know what we say about letting anyone push on your leg! Besides, what your pt achieved by bending your knee doesn't count, it's what you can do on your own.

It sounds like you are doing fantastic! Just being able to sleep through the night like your are is a huge blessing! Being able to go to the wedding at 6 days is mind blowing! Now, you and your knee have earned a week of rest! Enjoy it!
 
@HoneyB, you are awesome! Your can-do attitude goes a long way. And you are smart enough to know that if it hurts, stop. Like you, I went to immediate PT and it worked really well for me. It almost sounds like you and I were at the same place. For #1, I started at a different place and they did hurt me. After changing, the progress I made was amazing. Same for #2. I wish everyone on here was as lucky as we were/are in finding a helpful therapist. I do wake up in the night but it's my bladder. Unfortunately, surgery didn't fix that!
 
Sounds to me like you're doing really well, except for that kneecap pain. I'm not envisioning the hamstring connection but... hey, whatever fixes the problem. Chances are it's related to your post-op swelling, so as that goes down let's hope the pain goes away. It sounds just awful. :sad:

I had PT right from the start (mine was at rehab that first week) and it can be helpful. My concern would be that swelling is increased from exercise and assisted bending -- it just is, no way around that, no matter how gentle the therapist -- and that might be at the root of your kneecap pain. You're in the best position to keep an eye on that. Because you can always resume PT at any point, consider taking a week off to see if NOT exercising helps. An experiment. You really won't lose any ROM doing that and if your pain decreases that will give you something useful going forward. Just a thought.

The clinic you're going to does sound interesting. I'm looking forward to your progress reports. :)
 
How are you doing today?
 
RTKR Day 8, LTKR Week 16: I had PT again today for my RTKR. I’m going to give more details than most of you will care to read, but I’m doing it for my own records. I think it’ll also answer some of the questions y’all asked.

For my first exercise today, the exercise therapist applied a TENS unit to my thigh along with warm cloths above and below my thigh. My leg was extended over a round bolster, slightly bent at the knee with a pad under my heel to keep the bend from being too extreme since I have such short legs. The TENS unit pulsed 10 seconds on/10 seconds off. My instructions were to try to raise my foot during the 10 seconds the TENS unit was on, and to relax while it was off. A timer was set for 10 minutes. I raised my foot during the first few cycles, but when I told the exercise therapist that it hurt my knee cap, he removed the bolster and told me to just lie there, relax, and enjoy the TENS and heat. Whew – that would have been a long 10 minutes if I’d kept up the exercise. The relaxing felt great. I almost dozed off.

For my second exercise, I did straight leg raises in four directions: 20 leg lifts in each direction. I had little to no pain or difficulty doing the leg raises on my stomach, right side, and left side. I had a good bit of difficulty and some pain doing the leg raises on my back. During the leg raises when lying on my back, my knee cap had mild to moderate pain, but it was a lot less than last Friday or during the first exercise. The biggest difficulty seemed to be getting my leg to act on the signal being sent from my brain. On the first 10 – 15 lifts, I would have to concentrate really hard to get my leg to rise and it would take a second or two before my leg would start moving. The last 5 came a little easier. The exercise therapist was thrilled. He said he didn’t expect me to be able to do a front leg raise at Day 8. He was expecting to raise my foot and let me try to hold it up like we did last Friday. He told the physical therapist about the knee cap pain so he could address that during massage time.

The third exercise was to do 20 mini-squats while holding onto a vertical bar for support. The goal was to keep weight equally distributed on both feet – not to see how far I could squat, and believe me, the squat was minimal. No pain - just felt stiffness in my quads.

The fourth exercise was to sit on a low table, put my foot on a squishy disc, and rock my foot frontward and backward. It was basically ankle pumps while sitting. No pain – felt nice.

The last exercise was to sit on the same low table and push a little “sled” forward along a track until my knee extended as far as comfortable, and then gradually allow the sled to come back toward me. The sled isn’t weighted, but has tension bands attached to it. I did 20 pushes with one band attached with no difficulty or pain so he added a second band. That made it more difficult, but there was still no pain. In fact, it felt kind of nice. It’s a quad strengthening exercise that will, supposedly, lessen my knee cap pain.

After that, the physical therapist massaged my leg. When he “bends” my knee, he doesn’t push on it to bend it. He massages it while it is supported by his arm (my leg lying lengthwise along his arm with his hand under my knee and my foot near his shoulder) or draped across his knee. As he feels my muscles relaxing, he moves ever so slightly toward me which will allow my leg to drape/knee to bend a little more. He never pushes it. It relaxes and bends on its own. He said he’s trying to relax muscles that are tight after surgery, and that they’ll gradually stay more relaxed. Since my leg was bowed and now is straighter, I guess the relaxing also helps the muscles with realigning. While I was lying on my back, he also held my leg up vertically, with my ankle on his shoulder, and massaged my hamstrings and quads. My extension increased a little as my muscles relaxed, but my extension was already pretty good. He didn’t take any measurements, so I don’t know my ROM numbers (and I think that’s intentional).

I was sent home with instructions to spend the rest of the day icing and elevating (toes above nose) as much as possible. I was also able this afternoon to stretch out my pain medicine (Percocet) from every 4 hours to every 6 hours with no noticeable effect so far.

I’m a little amazed at the physical therapist’s ability to connect pain in one place with a problem in a different place. For example, he’ll often start by asking me to do a heel slide and tell him when something hurts. Today, for example, the first pain was on the outside area of my knee. He massaged a place way up by my hip bone, asked me to do the slide again, and the side knee pain was gone. I then pointed out the next place that hurt, he massaged a spot that seemed unrelated, and then that pain was gone. I think he’s a PT magician. I hope these little magical moments keep happening. Fingers crossed. Y'all don't kick me out of this wonderful club for trying this type of PT! I need y'all! Also, if I feel that something is going awry, I can always switch back to a more conventional PT like I used for knee #1. So far, I like this different approach.
 
I'm glad you managed to do all those leg raises without a problem. Now you can do them, you don't need to do them again so, for the sake of your new knee, don't do them again.
 
Yikes! I did hundreds (more like thousands) of leg raises with my LTKR. Once I could do 30 reps in each of the four positions with no weights, weights were added in 1/2 pound increments. By the time I finished PT for my LTKR, I was doing 30 reps in each position with a 3-pound weight on my ankle, twice per day. I think I could have done them in my sleep. :) I'm not sure my left leg would have felt strong enough 3-1/2 months after my LTKR to be the "work horse" leg for my RTKR without the strengthening exercises. I had been through left knee arthroscopic surgery in February 2017 and did the same leg lift routine after that. I don't even want to think about how many of those things I've done. I'd turn the TV to HGTV, stretch out on the floor, and start the routine. Sometimes I even did extras while watching to the end of a TV show. I might go through leg lift withdrawal after RTKR rehab ends. :heehee:
 
Fingers crossed. Y'all don't kick me out of this wonderful club for trying this type of PT! I need y'all!

You'll be lucky if we ever let you leave the club! It's always interesting and educational to read about people's experiences. Not everyone, of course, can do the amount of leg lifting you do this early in recovery; for most it would be contraindicated. Same with the resistance on that sled (though the sled itself sounds like winner of an idea, very similar to the skateboard one of our advisors suggests using). In the end, though, we all "custom-fit" our recoveries to our abilities and needs. It sounds like what you're doing isn't hurting you and you find it helpful.

My PT also did a great leg massage, and very similar to what your guy does. I liked it best of all and worth the PT all by itself. My legs felt relaxed and limber after. Relaxation is probably a benefit in itself, as it reduces the natural tension and guarding of our muscles trying to "protect" the injured knee(s). Whatever the reason, it feels sublime.
 
LTKR Week 16, RTKR Day 10: My RTKR flexion was measured as 95 today at PT; however, this wasn't measured during a heel slide. It was measured with me sitting on a table with my legs dangling over the side and pulling my right leg back toward the table as far as possible.

I told the exercise therapist that I went for a 1/2 mile walk on the sidewalk yesterday and that it felt great to walk with neither knee hurting, even though I do still have some pain in the muscles of my right leg. He said I shouldn't be doing 1/2 mile walks this early because it will cause my leg to swell. He told me to do 10-minute walks (5 minutes away from my house and 5 minutes back), and that I could do that a couple of times per day if I felt like it.

I did the same exercises as I listed for Monday, and was able to do 30 reps of each exercise today. We added 30 reps on a leg press machine where I had to lie on my back, place my feet against a platform with knees bent, and push with my feet to extend my legs and raise the weights. I liked this exercise. There was no pain and I think I got my knees close to full extension, but not quite full extension. I don't know how much weight I was lifting. I might have just been lifting machine parts with no weight added. :)

I tried to stretch my pain medicine out Monday & Tuesday from one pill every 4 hours to one pill every 6 hours. Today I changed to one pill every 5 hours. I'll try the 6-hour increment again in a few days. Still doing lots of icing and elevating.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom