TKR It's The HoneyB's Knees

LTKR Week 10.5 – Today at physical therapy, I finally got to the magical 0-120 degrees range of motion during heel slides with no assistance and no pain. Yay! I felt like there should have been a bell there for me to ring. :yahoo:

The other thing that happened today was that I picked up the pre-surgery paperwork for my June 4 RTKR. :dubious:
 
Yay for getting to 120 by yourself and no pain!!

Well my PT had a bell and it was my downfall. At 3.5 weeks post op they asked if I wanted to try the bike. I did want to try it. They told me to just rock the pedals and if I felt I could go all the way around to do it. They said we ring the bell the first time someone can do a full rotation.

Well, I hadn’t found Bonesmart yet so I thought I was supposed to work really hard in PT, so I tried really hard to pedal that bike, crying from pain and effort the whole time. I finally forced that rotation, all so they would ring the bell. They did and everyone on the place was so excited.

That was Wednesday. It “only” took me 24 hours to recover, so on Friday I rode the bike again, forcing more rotations. This time it took until Monday to recover. I hurt differently and feared I’d knocked my implant out of place.

Wednesday was my first pool therapy and it was a painful 50 minute session.

Thursday I started googling stopping therapy and thankfully found Bonesmart and changed my strategy.

Be thankful there wasn’t a bell or you would probably have overdone sooner just to hear it!
 
Today at physical therapy, I finally got to the magical 0-120 degrees range of motion during heel slides with no assistance and no pain.
Well done! You got there quite fast and the bend will probably continue to increase.
 
I went to my GP today for lab work for my upcoming right knee replacement surgery. My new left knee (almost 12 weeks old) is feeling pretty good now. I can walk up and down stairs normally without using the handrail. Going upstairs fairly easily came several weeks ago. Going downstairs was a challenge for a while. I need to "study" this weekend. I have my PT "final exam" Monday for my left knee, and then I have my first pre-surgery PT session for my right knee next Wednesday.
 
The following is copied from my post on somebody else's thread. I'm just putting it here to look back on for reference after my June 4 RTKR. Ugh.

I had my LTKR February 19 and I'm having my RTKR next Monday, June 4. I have to say that I'm not looking forward to starting the rehab process all over again, but my right knee is definitely the bad knee now. When I go for my daily walks for rehabbing my LTKR, it's my old right knee that is limiting me to about 1/2 mile. My new knee could keep on going. My ROM in my new knee is 0-120 (maybe better than 120 since I haven't been measured in a couple of weeks) and my leg and knee feel strong enough to be the "work horse" so I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm charging ahead toward it. I do still have stiffness in my new left knee, but pain is very minimal to none.
 
@HoneyB, I thought about you last weekend during the storm and hoped you didn't get too much water. I'm about 35 miles west of you but not much happened here. Good luck this week. Your great positive attitude will help so much and now you know what to expect. I have a matched set and it is just great to walk like a normal person. Pretty soon, your righty will find out she's no longer in charge. Keep us posted!
 
Wow! Think I need to read your whole thread! It sounds like you’ve had a great recovery!
 
@MSgirl - I'm looking forward to September when I'm imagining my matched set will let me stroll into Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium without a limp. I'm not looking forward to Monday, though, but it's the necessary next step along this journey. As far as the weather, we had typical Mobile on & off rain showers, but not enough to warrant any real attention. My husband and I lived in Gautier, MS and worked at Ingalls (we're both electrical engineers) when we first graduated from college.
 
We're in Ocean Springs. Transplants from TN but love it so much we'll probably stay if my husband will ever retire. Keep that picture of Auburn football in your mind. I have no doubt that you will make it. Football is a great motivator, isn't it? I'm really glad the storm didn't bother you. The Weather Channel always makes things sound so dire. I'll be thinking about you Monday. You will be a star!
 
New Knee #2 is officially installed. I had my RTKR yesterday morning, and PT came early afternoon so I was able to get up and walk to the restroom all night under the watchful eyes of the nursing staff. I've been doing my ankle pumps as directed by the staff, along with a few quad sets and a few low leg raises I tried on my own. I was happy to be able to do leg raises because I couldn't do those until post-op day 4 with my LTKR.

I'm hoping PT shows up this morning so I can walk the hallway, demonstrate that I can go up and down steps, and head home.

Pain is not bad: about 3-4 when lying in bed, and about 5 when walking.

If you're a praying person, say a prayer for my husband. He'll be my 24-7 nurse, chauffeur, cook, maid, and shopper for the next two weeks.
 
Admin @pumpkin - Could you please add my RTKR knee type to my signature? It's an iTotal ConforMIS just like my LTKR. Thanks!
 
New Knee #2 is officially installed. I had my RTKR yesterday morning, and PT came early afternoon so I was able to get up and walk to the restroom all night under the watchful eyes of the nursing staff. I've been doing my ankle pumps as directed by the staff, along with a few quad sets and a few low leg raises I tried on my own. I was happy to be able to do leg raises because I couldn't do those until post-op day 4 with my LTKR.

I'm hoping PT shows up this morning so I can walk the hallway, demonstrate that I can go up and down steps, and head home.

Pain is not bad: about 3-4 when lying in bed, and about 5 when walking.

If you're a praying person, say a prayer for my husband. He'll be my 24-7 nurse, chauffeur, cook, maid, and shopper for the next two weeks.

Well done on getting the second one over with. Onward and upward! Looking forward to reading about your recovery. After reading about your last one I’m sure you’ll sail through it. Just got to get through the first couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for you.
 
I'll pray for your husband. :angel: So will Mr. Shoes. I rather doubt you'll be too terrible a patient, though!

Sounds like you and your new right knee are well on the way to a good recovery. Congrats on the leg raises! :flwrysmile:
 
Congratulations on getting to the other side! You are on your way to Auburn! As to your husband, I ordered mine a shirt that said "I survived my wife's knee replacements" from Zazzle. I don't thing he's worn it but thought it was funny anyway. Take care.
 
I'm home! That's the good news. The bad news is that I have more pain right now in my right leg than I ever remember having with my LTKR. I think it might be tourniquet pain. I'm in the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine right now at a mild 35 degrees. I know lots of people no longer use CPM machines, but I find it to be relaxing and a reminder that my knee will bend even if I can't do that on my own yet. Looking forward to my next dose of Percocet, my new best friend, in 20 minutes.
 
:console2::console2::console2:

I’m glad you’re home, sorry you’re hurting so much!!
 
My husband just told me that I had the same amount of pain during week 1 for knee #1, and that he didn't think I'd ever stretch my Percocet out to every 6 hours, but I did at week 2. I guess my brain shoved those memories aside.
 
I think it's like having a baby. The pain is awful soon forgotten as the weeks go by and you're enjoying that knew gift!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom