I saw my surgeon today for my 8-week plus 1-day LTKR checkup. While I’ve been frustrated with my stalled progress (range of motion has been at 0 – 110ish since week 4), my surgeon said that he’s extremely pleased with my progress. While sitting on the exam table with my knees dangling at 90 degrees, he told me to pull my left leg back under the table, and said he could see that it was easily pulling back to at least 110 degrees, and probably beyond that, and he was very pleased. He said that given my long-time IT Band problems, it could take me 2 or 3 months more, or even longer, to get to where I (not he) THINK I should be, but to remember that this is a year-long healing process. He said that the IT Band has a “spiderweb” of connections at the knee, so it’s not unusual that I’m feeling stiffness in my knee while flexing as I deal with trying to stretch my IT Band. He also said that as things (muscles, tendons, etc.) in my leg are having to shift positions due to my realignment, I need to remember that my leg isn’t hollow, and that the shifting is pushing tissue out of the way, which then requires a healing process. He said he’s not going to tell me to “not be me,” but I need to be a little less Type A about this and stop thinking so much about degrees/weeks. He said that he’s confident that if I continue to do what I’m doing now, I’ll get to full range of motion.
I asked if he thought I was in shape for my right knee replacement, and he agreed that I am. They did an x-ray of my right knee for his office to submit to my insurance company for approval of a CT scan for having a ConforMIS custom knee built for the RTKR surgery. He said I might need a different ConforMIS implant for the right knee because that leg is a little more deformed (more bowed). I think that implant has a slightly longer post. The only sort of bad news was that, once the right knee is replaced and properly aligned so that my bowed leg is straighter, I might go back to my life-long status of having one leg slightly longer than the other. I’m going to enjoy the next few weeks of being completely level in case that disappears soon.
As usual, y'all were right......patience is the key. That's so hard for me.