Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great idea @iivesfam5 x mmmmm food for thought x mind you I'm trying to get ok by beg August so I can go to our friend 50th up at the caravan. Theirs is next to ours. It does definitely help to have a goal. What a lovely one you've chosen xxx
 
@iivesfam5 We are on NCL also. We planned this also for one year post-surgery to celebrate it being done. Our 25th anniversary was the week before my surgery - so this is a delayed celebration for that also!

I got my Celebrex approved by the insurance company finally so started it today. Hoping that will help this pesky inflammation and get it under control before we leave.
 
[Bonesmart.org] It's finally time!!

Ladies, this thread is off topic. Please remember that a recovery thread is to be primarily about the opening poster's recovery and post accordingly. A few off topic comments are okay, but let's get this one back on track. If you want to talk about holidays or other non-surgery subjects, you can always start a thread on that topic in the Social Forum.
 
Celebrex Is good for a while. I used it. But after while it made me fill weird.



FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I took Celebrex before my surgery and the first two months after the BTKR. I didn't seem to have any side effects then. Hopefully I won't have any issues now either.

I have felt a bit better the last few days (which makes me feel hopeful!) - I definitely feel stronger which is definitely the PT helping me. I noticed yesterday and again today that going down the stairs is a lot less painful. I'm not sure yet if it's related to the Celebrex or not - but I feel like I'm heading in the right direction. I am aching a lot right now - but I didn't start to feel bad until around 5 pm or so today - which is much better than feeling bad all day.
 
It's your weekend and I'm a day late wishing you (and your recliner) a happy weekend. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your Celebrex approved and that you are already taking it. Hopefully it will help you rest and give those knees some TLC.

We got home late this afternoon to the heat of the west coast!
 
@ljrfrm - it's the holiday weekend for you, and hopefully you can relax! I trust that each week is getting a bit better and the swelling and pain are easing up. Do you get a long weekend because July 4th falls on Saturday?
 
Hi @Threads! Yes, it's a long 3 day weekend for me - yay!!

11 month update: Today is 11 months since my surgery. It's sure been a roller coaster ride. I am seeing some minor improvements which keeps me hopeful I'm on the right track. I have no idea why I've had such a difficult time - especially since I was doing so well earlier on. But - it seems like the combination of PT, massage and chiropractor might be slowly working so I will keep up with it and hope for the best. After several sessions of dry needling, my quads feel much better and not as tight and sore. My hamstrings and IT bands still have their tight and painful moments, but also seem to be loosening up. I'm still taking the Celebrex and although I'm not sure if it is helping or not, it certainly isn't hurting so I will continue with it. I do think one of my biggest problems is the inflammation causing discomfort, so the Celebrex makes sense at this time.

My health insurance rejected the latest PT bills and states they need more information from the doctor to pay. I can only hope they will keep paying - as I do believe it is helping me (plus, I have about $2,000 outstanding charges still to pay). I have many PT sessions available to use, and given that I had both knees operated on just over one month ago, I do think they'll pay. I guess we'll see.

Since my last surgery, the clunking and catching has all but gone away. The popping has improved with PT as my legs become stronger. I still pop on occasion, but not the constant awkward clunking I was getting before with each step. I went for a two mile walk the other night and felt good during it. I am not aching so much during the day and feel stronger each day that passes. I am still aching quite a bit by the night, but - it seems like both my energy and what I can do with my knees is finally improving (just slowly).
 
What a good report! I know it must feel like baby steps now, but they are baby steps in the right direction. I certainly hope that your insurance will cover your PT sessions.

I hope you have fun plans for your long weekend along with quality time in the recliner - you don't want it to start sulking because it's being ignored. Just imagine the noises it would make if it was sulking ;-)
 
One year update and Happy One Year to @Crow22 - my surgery buddy!!

Its been an up and down year but I think I'm finally headed in the right direction. After starting out well, I struggled for several months but am finally moving forward. On the positive side of things, I ache much less than before. I don't have any more catching and painful clunking. I was on vacation last week and logged over 80,000 steps and 209 flights of stairs last week. While I ached at night and still feel stiff, I was able to do anything I wanted to do, including walking up sand dunes and climbing rocks. And, the aching and stiffness wasn't any worse than any other night when I'm not that active. In fact, I don't hurt very much at all while walking, it's the sitting still that is difficult.

I still have my up and down days - yesterday I felt stiffer and more sore, and realized I hadn't taken my Celebrex. I am still struggling with inflammation, which I think is the main cause of my difficulties. This causes the aching and stiffness when I'm sitting - making it still hard to sit through a movie or sit through work meetings. I continue to have a healing hematoma from my scope this past May as well (although it is so much better and seems to be dissolving slowing on it's own). I am still getting massages, but only once per month now. I still have the tight IT band, hamstrings and calves which can get painful if ignored and not stretched or massaged.

I look forward to continuing my recovery - it's taking longer than I had hoped but I will keep working until I get to the day that my knee isn't primary on my mind. I'm getting there - I'm just taking the scenic route!
 
@ljrfrm - you will get there! You have been amazingly patient with the twists and turns that you've had to make during your recovery. I don't think there is a line in the sand with this surgery - one that says at the one year mark everything will be magically better. I'm aiming at the 1 1/2 year mark for me ;-) One positive note to keep in mind is that we won't have to go through it all again!!!

I'm so happy you had such a great vacation and were able to do all the things you wanted to do. I'm totally impressed with the number of steps you took and the flights of stairs you climbed.
 
I didn't do my check in on the weekend! Hope you had a good one and aren't paying a heavy price for being back at work.
 
Thanks for checking in :) My work week flew by pretty quick and before I knew it, it was weekend (although that flew by quickly also!). My knees continue to slowly improve - and I found myself going down the stairs very quickly (not quite running, but close to it!) and was impressed with myself. I still have aches and pains in the same places - and my popping has increased this past week which is irritating - but all in all, I'm on the right track. I finally got my rear in gear and started back with my trainer today - working completely on lower body today and continuing to build up those muscles that I've lost this past year. It felt good to be back at the gym. I'm waiting for the day that my knees go a full day without reminding me they are there - I know I will get there eventually.
 
We both have BTKR on 4 th August, exct mine was done in 2016. Best wishes to your full recovery soon. Hope you will enjoy what you want to do very soon.
 
My brain is not coordinated well with my finger, mine BTKR was done 4 August 2015' not. 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom