Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony of the whole situation is this--we watch for years and years, as our knee or knees become so much more dysfunctional---and sometimes our lifestyles!) and we crave normalcy---we want the pain to go away.

Finally, when we are truly fully recovered, there is no pain---and there is normalcy---and the knee or the knees are now pretty "vanilla." They simply do what they are supposed to do---and we get along with our lives.

However, our lives suddenly become normal, too---the very thing that we craved all along has happened---and normalcy is very worthy of celebrating!
 
It has been seven years since my BTKR, and I can honestly go for days now not thinking that my knee is seven years old, while I just turned 60! My life is back to where it should be, and the knees simply do what they are supposed to.

What was a very "big deal"---the pain, the pills, the braces, the decision to have the TKR or the BTKR surgery, and the ensuring recovery---during this time we were all focused on our knee or knees.

When you are recovered, you can focus on something else---simply living your life.

The knee or knees do what they are supposed to do, and that is "no big deal" any more!
 
What a nice report! It sounds like you are entering the home stretch of recovery and doing very well. Congratulations on getting back with your trainer and working towards a more normal life.
 
It has been seven years since my BTKR, and I can honestly go for days now not thinking that my knee is seven years old, while I just turned 60! My life is back to where it should be, and the knees simply do what they are supposed to.

What was a very "big deal"---the pain, the pills, the braces, the decision to have the TKR or the BTKR surgery, and the ensuring recovery---during this time we were all focused on our knee or knees.

When you are recovered, you can focus on something else---simply living your life.

The knee or knees do what they are supposed to do, and that is "no big deal" any more!
I can't imagine not having my knees rule my life. I can't wait to see what that's like!!
 
What a nice report! It sounds like you are entering the home stretch of recovery and doing very well. Congratulations on getting back with your trainer and working towards a more normal life.
Thanks. It's funny in a way to read this because I feel SO far from the homestretch. My knee still rules my day, I just called to get another refill of my Tramadol, I am stiff and sore. But, you are so right....I've come so far and I have to keep reminding myself that!! I just feel like that journey has so much farther to go. I know my knee will continue to rule for awhile - but it is nice to do "normal" things - even if my knee does dictate what those things are.

You won't be far behind.......I promise :)
 
@ljrfrm - I'm right there with you on the stiffness. This is my third day back at work and I've been able to keep mobile giving myself plenty of time to stretch and walk around. I even jumped on the stationary bike for 15 mins. My office is upstairs so I'm now going up and down more frequently than before. I'm amazed at how easily I can do downstairs ...no more cracking, popping and snagging. Get tired though and I'm ready for bed at 8:30!

Keep up the good work. I'm also looking forward to giving a report like @referee54!
 
@rosietosie I've been thinking of you this week and meant to check in to see how you were doing. Sorry I haven't. It's funny how now that I'm working, I don't have as much time to play on the Internet and when I have time, I'm too tired! So glad you have the bike you can use - and great job on the stairs. I went up and down stairs at school today 6 times - I'm sore and paying for all my moving tonight. Yay for no more cracking and popping - isn't it the coolest thing :)
 
I'm right there with you on the stiffness. This is my third day back at work and I've been able to keep mobile giving myself plenty of time to stretch and walk around. I even jumped on the stationary bike for 15 mins. My office is upstairs so I'm now going up and down more frequently than before. I'm amazed at how easily I can do downstairs ...no more cracking, popping and snagging. Get tired though and I'm ready for bed at 8:30!
That is what the TKR is all about---just getting that normalcy back in your life---no "Rice Krispie" Sounds from the knee or knees---the snap, crackle, and pop.

Soon, the amazement will turn to normalcy, as you will be living your life the way you ae supposed to---not worried about the knee or knees---and this will allow you to enjoy it eve more.

Your body is still recovering, and the stamina is the last aspect of this great ordeal to return!
 
Just home from work and PT. Only one more day of work until weekend - woohoo!

I only have one more PT left. Today she measured my ROM and I am pleased that I'm continuing to make progress, even with my additional swelling. My flexion was 124 (left) and 120 (right) and for the first time ever, I was able to get my extension to 0 on my own. I'm actually at +2 and +1 at rest, but I was able to straighten my left leg to 0 and the right leg to -1. Up until now, I haven't been able to get to 0 unless I was on my stomach. When measuring my extension, I was first at 120 (left) and 117(right) but really wanted to see progress so pushed myself. I love her because she never pushes on me to get more, but I can work slowly to get a few more degrees. I told her today I really appreciated the fact that she never forced me. I know my pain, and also, I want to get the ROM that I can do, not what she can make me do.

It's nice to see some progress, especially now that I'm about ready to "graduate" from PT and just go to the gym. It's kind of sad though to think about saying goodbye, as I've had the same person for almost 4 months now, and she always seems to find a way to help me feel better.
 
Ah---stamina---that was the last thing to return---other than the few degrees of ROM that I continued to gain.

You will notice that stamina will ever-so-slowly return--- many reasons for this.

I would come home from school---beat/wiped out after a normal day. Things that never used to tire me out would do so, during my recovery.

It gradually got better for me---again, slower than I would have like it to.

Again, remember, recovery takes longer than we would like it to or expect it to---and stamina and energy reserve is one of those aspects that we have to wait patiently to return.
 
@referee54 It's the stamina - but also because I'm not sleeping well since the surgery (I sleep, just not well) I am just always overtired as well! It's hard as others back at work don't get it. I will keep my patience (or at least try) for my stamina to increase and my stiffness to decrease. Then I'll be a happy camper :)
 
My OS offered to write a script for Ambien after I told him that I could not fall asleep. It took me a while, but I finally gave in, took the script, and took the Ambien for ten nights.

That solved my sleep issues and re-established my sleep pattern.
 
What a wonderful report! Good job and congratulations on such great ROM :) I now you've worked very hard for it and deserve every single one of those degrees. I'm so happy for you. I get what you mean about how you are going to miss your PT. I feel the same way about my Michelle.

I agree with the ref about the Ambien. I haven't had that problem with this surgery but I have had with others. Finally I got my doctor to Rx 10 Ambien and that got my body back into a normal sleepy rhythm. You might consider it at least. 10 nights won't make your body dependent on it for sleep.

Please continue to check in with us and let us know how you are doing. I always look forward to your updates :)
(((hugs)))
 
@referee54 I have no problems falling asleep pretty quickly but I sleep about 4 hours and then I wake up with the muscle spasms (those are getting better) and stiffness and don't sleep well the rest of the night. Maybe the Ambien will help get a full night. I was actually thinking about trying Aleve PM. Aleve seems to help me pretty well at work.
 
@gr82cu2 I thought of your Michelle when I was typing that. Isn't it nice to have that special someone that you know will listen, support and help you through the difficult times? I was just going to head to your thread to see how your dr appointment went today. I've been thinking of you!!!
 
Oh, those darn muscle spasms. I guess the doc doesn't want to Rx muscle relaxers? I've had more of that this time than last time but it doesn't seem to bother me in the night too much. It's more when I've been off my feet awhile and get up. Those muscles seem to want to tie themselves in a knot for a few minutes and then relax.

My update on doctor visit is up now. we were posting at the same time :)
 
@gr82cu2 I probably didn't complain enough for the muscle relaxers. Looking back I should have called maybe. I told him once and he didn't offer or seem concerned and so I guess I just figured it was part of the stiffness and I had to put up with it. It seems to be better now - now it's just the darned stiffness. I sleep with my knee bent and I guess after four hours the knee is just quite mad at me for keeping it in that position for that long.

I'm heading to your thread now :)
 
So yesterday I worked out with the trainer and then rode the bike for 4 miles. Today I went back to the gym and walked two miles. I walked slow (took me 44 min to finish) and it was uncomfortable towards the end, but I did it.

One of the families I provide support to at school came to see me yesterday and brought me a get well card and chocolates. I have eaten SO many of them - SO GOOD, mmmmmm. So, it probably is a good think I walked the two miles. I have another session with my trainer tomorrow. She is taking it slow and being very careful with my knees. I don't think I will tell her about the chocolates, LOL.
 
Chocolates are medicinal :) She doesn't need to know. We'll keep it between us! That's great you were able to walk 2 miles. Wow!
 
@gr82cu2 I ate them ALL.........yikes. I figured that they were going in my mouth sooner or later, so I might as well make it sooner! :snork:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom