Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have your excuse and we're skipping our granddaughter's soccer today. This year the twins have their soccer on different days - one has Saturday and one Sunday. I guess there are advantages to being a grandparent - you might want to go, but you don't have to. Enjoy your cosy time and head right back there after the game!

I look forward to hearing how your first day at work played out.
 
Sounds like great fun! @ljrfrm ! Who cares if you did the Frankenstein dance. You may start a new trend!! :chuckmarch:
 
@ConnieJOS LOL, it might not be a very pretty trend, but it will be fun!! @Threads Made it home from the soccer game. Time to warm up a bit before ice. I can't wait to be a grandparent someday :)
 
So, I made it through my first day back to work but it was a doozy. I stuck to my 4 hour limit - and I'm so glad that I am limited by that with the disability company because it was easier to leave. I had a crisis at work with a student and spent my whole four hours in an emergency meeting. Between driving to the meeting (35 min drive), sitting for 4 hours, and driving home, I am more sore than when I was dancing! I was a bit flustered trying to get out on time today (between summer break and the surgery, I haven't worked in 5 months) and didn't give myself enough time to eat so just grabbed something small. I took two Aleve's hoping that would help me, and on an almost empty stomach, I had the worst stomach ache throughout the meeting. Honestly, my knees or legs didn't bother me hardly at all in the meeting like I thought they would, and I wasn't sore until I got home.

Tomorrow I'm going in a bit later so hopefully it won't be so crazy to get showered, dressed and out of here. I have another 4 hours of meetings though, but will do my best to stand and stretch regularly. I was very achey when I got home and immedidately took a Tramadol. I was uncomfortable enough that I almost took a Hydrocodone, but I guess the Tramadol kicked in finally because I felt much better after awhile and didn't need anything stronger.
 
WOW - you were certainly thrown in at the deep end of the "pool". Hopefully you were able to rest and ice and had planned-overs ready for dinner. Getting up and walking around a bit seems like a good idea for your circulation. Hope tomorrow is better but you have crossed another hurdle, yeah! Throw a banana in your bag - at least it could buffer some painkillers.
 
@Threads I actually DID throw a banana in my bag. And then left the bag in the car thinking I didn't need my computer and the bag was so heavy. Bad decision............. :)
 
Good job on getting back to work. I'm sure you'd rather have a few more weeks at home though. Did they save all the meetings just for you? :)
 
@gr82cu2 OMG, you wouldn't believe it. There was a very serious incident which involved police and CPS, and I swear they must have waited for me to return for it to happen. Terrible timing..........

You've been on my mind today!!!
 
So glad to hear about your first day of work. I'm sure it's tough with the long meetings and maybe not being in control of when breaks can be taken. My pt suggested I either get a timer or set an alarm on the phone to schedule stretch breaks. I go back to work Monday and while I work from home and can avoid the hustle-bustle of getting out of the house, I'm not looking forward to having to be focused for 8 hours. I've really enjoyed the last 4-6 weeks being able to do my own thing and not be tied to a computer all day. Guess I'm ready for retirement!!!

Hope your transition to work continues o go well and you have less meeting and drama.
 
@rosietosie Retirement is looking mighty good right now :) Day 2 of work went ok. I was actually very achey driving in (I guess from showering, making lunch, etc.) and I was worried that it would be a tough day. But once I got to work and got busy in my meetings, I really seemed to feel ok. Today was easier because there was a natural break in the meeting every hour as we moved on to discuss the next student - so I just walked and stretched between each case. I found that I was very tired - but at the same time it was nice to be using my brain again and be productive. I think you will find that focusing for 8 hours will be hard at the beginning - it's amazing how quickly we can still get tired.

I'm so glad I went back PT - as I have three weeks to build back up to 8 hour days. You will be at a huge advantage to be working from home - but makes sure to take breaks - not just to stretch but to just rest as well.
 
Soooo, I've been having a horrible, sharp stabbing pain (comes and goes) under my right kneecap since around 3 pm today. I thought I was done with these type of sharp pains. I guess my knee doesn't like me back at work. I've been hooked up to my ice machine all afternoon, and it was better with the help of some pain meds too. But now it's coming back again. I can't imagine having tried to go back to work full-time. I do ok for the 4 hours but pay for it in the afternoon.
 
@ljrfrm I understand what you mean. I'm glad you are able to keep it down to four hours. It ain't over till it's over! Don't over do it, and I know it will keep getting easier until you can make it full time.

Connie :dogwalk:
 
Thanks @ConnieJOS! I think I forgot how much this can hurt......which I guess is a good thing because it shows I haven't had any sharp pains lately! You are still my hero....doing hips and knees. I will follow your lead :)
 
do ok for the 4 hours but pay for it in the afternoon.
When I returned to the classroom, the first four hours were pretty good, then i began to stiffen up and get sore.
Soooo, I've been having a horrible, sharp stabbing pain (comes and goes) under my right kneecap since around 3 pm today. I thought I was done with these type of sharp pains.
When you returned to work, you began at four hours---which sounds minimal, but I bet you really did not do anything that long during your recovery yet---and your legs and knees are snow resorting everything out again. I understand completely about how you are feeling now.

I will get that DVD of the super-secret BTKR handshake in the mail for you!:snork:
 
@referee54 You bring up a good point. In addition, getting ready for work, making lunch (only there four hours but have to eat LOL), always forgetting something and running (ok limping) up and down the stairs, driving to work, etc. all adds to the time.

I will be checking the mail for my package - I can't believe it's been 3 months and it hasn't arrived yet!!!


Editing for a question I have wanted to ask someone: I finally got around to logging onto the implantlink account from my doctor to see info on my new bionic knees. I read that the cement they used was an antibiotic cement (Zimmer). Evidently studies show that using this type of cement with antibiotic leads to fewer revisions due to infection. Do you know if that's a typical protocol now by many doctors? Makes sense to me....just have never heard of it so was doing some research.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Editing for a question I have wanted to ask someone: I finally got around to logging onto the implantlink account from my doctor to see info on my new bionic knees. I read that the cement they used was an antibiotic cement (Zimmer). Evidently studies show that using this type of cement with antibiotic leads to few revisions due to infection. Do you know if that's a typical protocol now by many doctors? Makes sense to me....just have never heard of it so was doing some research.

That is very interesting---I will tag @Josephine---I bet she can give you a better idea about that.
 
@ljrfrm The going back to work got me, too! I teach AM only, then move to an off campus office where I do Association work (am the local President). I was doing so very well until school started, and now feel like I've slowed the recovery down. Oh, and the recent cold snap has stiffened me up quite a bit, both my new knee and more in my old knee.

If only We could just focus on our recovery!!
 
@Ollie Good point about the cold snap as well......wishing you comfort at work! It's hard, isn't it. The thing for me, is I truly feel I am well enough to start doing more than I was doing. But, I probably could have requested a few more weeks of disability, which wouldn't have been such a bad idea. I feel somewher stuck between ready to do more, but not ready enough to do more. If that makes sense.
 
@ljrfrm It makes perfect sense!! As Jo often reminds us all "The knee is in charge". As long as I remember that, I do pretty well. But the again, work gets in the way and I can't elevate, ice, or move around like I really want and need.
And a four hour day is exactly what @referee54 said it is - Anyone who works part time knows it is really a full time job!!
Have a great day - be sure you rest some and ice and elevate!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom