Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha! Oh well, tis the season to over indulge a bit. With your determination to exercise and get back on the track of life you'll get those calories off in no time. With gaining 10# with my 1st knee I've been very aware of what and how much I'm eating this time. I sure can't afford to pack on another 10#. But, I'm hungry! We have our Thanksgiving today and I can't wait. Yum!
 
@gr82cu2 Wishing you a great time with family and hoping that knee cooperates!! You deserve a fun day with great food!
 
So, today is four months since my surgery. Where has all the time gone? It's been a difficult week, as I am so very tired, stiff and sore from returning to work full time. But, I've come far and I'm happy with my recovery so far. I actually had a moment yesterday where I realized I had gone over 30 minutes without even thinking of my knees. I also often forget to take my Tylenol or Aleve during the day (probably why I'm so sore at work) which shows that I am getting on with life and forgetting about them little by little. I do wonder sometimes why I'm still so stiff and sore and think I should be better - but BS has been great to show me that it does take time, and I need to keep working on my patience.

Here's a brief update on where I'm at:
PT - I had my last PT last week, other than one appointment in three weeks just to do a check in. I have started working at the gym with my trainer. We are working on strength, flexibility and balance right now. I am also trying to either bike, walk or swim as well. I have to admit that other than the trainer, I haven't done much the last week or two. I also think my achiness is due to the cold weather as well. But with work and being so achey, swollen, etc. I really haven't pushed myself to exercise, as I think work itself is probably enough for now. The lack of exercising isn't helping my weight loss, but it is helping my knees I think. On my last day of PT, my ROM was 125/0 on left and 120/-1 on right. I still have a very hard time straightening my legs when I first stand up, and I need to focus constantly on my gait and making sure I straighten my legs. I know they can straighten, but I don't put it easily into practice. I feel like I've lost some ROM this week but I think it's due to swelling. I have two painful areas that won't go away. On my left leg, I continue to have IT band problems. On my right leg, I have an area on my calf that is very sore. I also have some hamstring spasms at night still. I got a prescription today for Flexoril and will try it and night to see if it helps. Also, my trainer suggested I look into massage for the hamstrings/calves/IT band issues. I will probably give that a try next week too. I'm also having a lot of hip abductor pain, I'm just real tight. My PT feels it's due to limited range of motion for so long (i.e not moving a lot, taking smaller steps, etc.).

Pain - After 3 weeks of working part-time, I can go about 4 hours at work without too much discomfort. I still get very stiff sitting, driving to work, etc. but the achiness doesn't usually bother me until the afternoon. I take Aleve in the morning before work and that tends to be enough until the afternoon. I still take one Tramadol many afternoons, but if not, then I'll take some Tylenol.

Stairs - I can walk up stairs without holding on and most days it's not difficult. When I'm stiff and achey it will be harder, but I can still do it. I was so late walking down the stairs "like a big girl". So I've only been doing it for about a month now. I can go down without holding on but it still scares me, so I tend to use the railing. But, I can do it the right way finally which is nice. I still have ankle pain going down, but they seem to be loosening up some finally.

Random Thoughts - I've been thinking of what I would do differently, what I wish I knew, etc. Hopefully this might be helpful for someone.
- I am so glad I did both knees at once. I don't know any differently, but it just seemed to be the perfect way to do it and I don't regret the decision at all.
- I have such issues with tight ankles and hip abductors. I wish I knew to stretch them or do something proactive after the surgery to avoid these problems. I did do ankle pumps at the beginning, but that wasn't enough. In addition to my simple ROM exercises I was doing at home, I should have been working on stretching.
-I was told by my doctor, friends and even here in BS about depression. I was so prepared to be depressed at some point. I never was. Yes I was (and am still) impatient, frustrated and tired of this recovery, but I never truly felt depressed. Just pointing this out so you don't assume that it's a given that you will be depressed.
-I definitely needed not only my 13 weeks off of work, but going back part-time for three weeks was a lifesaver!
-I never realized how low toilets are until this surgery!!! (again, just a random thought!)
-I still feel very uncomfortable walking in not just the ice (yikes) but also the rain. I'm not sure why I don't feel steady, but I just feel like my feet are going to slip out from under me. I'm very glad I had my surgery in the summer.
-I think I lost multiple brain cells with the surgery, as I didn't even remember how old my son was the other day.
-I thought I was going to read during my recovery. For some reason, I had no interest in anything other than mindless TV.
-I love bending my knee! Yes, I still have pain if I bend it too far......but, I just can't get over how smooth it feels to bend. It's just amazing and I do it all day long, just to show myself that there really isn't any snaps, crackles or pops. It's pretty awesome!


I had a few more thoughts/bits of advice I was going to post. But since my brain is now mush, I don't remember what they were. I'll add more as I think of them!!!
-
 
Well, here we are still walking through this journey arm in arm :) If I can set my new knee aside for a moment, my triplet to your twins is much the same except it gets to be lazy all day and not go to work. I'm still (was, before #2....back to square one now) scared to go down stairs the normal way. I have visions of just toppling forward so I think it will be quite some time before I'm brave enough to go without hand rails. Falling is a big fear for many of us I think. The thought of wrecking our knees and having to have surgery again is :yikes:. Shudder!!!! Ditto on the toilets :) And unfamiliar furniture. Note to others, if you go to visit someone, assess the seating height of their furniture BEFORE you sit down. Having to roll off someone's sofa is humiliating to say the least ;)

For me, ankle #2 is the problem and it never was with #1 along with a load of other problems that #1 didn't present. I secretly think it was holding back so I would go ahead with #2 and now it's laughing at me for thinking they would be the same. They are not.

I've not had depression either. Yes, I've definitely had some days that I was very weepy and feeling down but not true depression. Been there, done that and know the difference. Anyone out there reading needs to know this is one heck of a roller coaster ride with lots of ups and downs and curves in the road. The important thing is we all eventually end the ride and are better off for it. That smoothly bending knee without cracks and pops and bone pain makes it worth it.

I know I've told you this before but before I did #1 I thought those of you who do both at the same time must be out of your minds but now that I'm going through a 2nd recovery I think you are the smartest people in all of bonesmart land.

I sure hope all your aches and pains and swelling leave you finally and forever very soon! I know you are busy with being back to work now and taking care of your home and family but I'm sure glad you still come around and let us know how you are. I always look forward to your updates. :friends:
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks. I think out of everyone on BS, we tend to have such similar recoveries. So much of what you write I can relate to. It's so helpful to know that others understand. When I'm at work, I don't think people realize how I feel and although they are all so accommodating and supportive, they just don't get it. (for example, the other day when I had 8 straight hours of meetings, someone told me it was my lucky day because I didn't have to move at all. Uh no........not moving makes me feel worse!).

I know you (and others) have said us bilaterals are brave - but really, it's all we know. Brave is to go back and do it again a second time, knowing what it's like. Maybe we're all brave :)

You are so right about scoping out furniture when visiting new places, LOL. Oh sad news.........I busted a spring on my new recliner!!!! I am either eating way too much (I've gained 10 pounds!) or I've just spent far too much time in it! Luckily it's under warranty still - I just need to get the people to call me back!!!
 
I loved reading your update. I'm at 11 weeks and still having some spasms and pain at night. I've also had some of the same random thoughts. I'm also glad I had both done at the same time- I wouldn't want to go throught this again. I'm also working on my patience- probably one of the hardest things!
 
@gr82cu2 @PuppyLove

I totally agree about having them both done at the same time. I thought before that it would be unbearable, but now, knowing that you really can put your weight on the new knee, if I had it to do over, I'd want them done at the same time. Cutting recovery time in half would have been wonderful! My surgeon doesn't do it, though, so I didn't have that option. And I love my OS. He's done such a great job and I have a huge respect for him and confidence in him. So it's all working out fine.

Connie
 
@ConnieJOS What you've been able to do this year is simply amazing! You must have a great doctor to help you through this all. @PuppyLove I think patience is the toughest thing about this whole ordeal. Honestly, you can get drugs for pain........but I wish there were a drug for patience, LOL :)
 
I think patience is the toughest thing about this whole ordeal. Honestly, you can get drugs for pain........but I wish there were a drug for patience, LOL
I do not think any of us were prepared for how long and how frustrating a TKR or a BTKR recovery can be---you have to reach deep inside you to find patience that you did not know that you have!
 
Totally agree, again. Being still is the worst! Especially standing still. I could walk for much more time than I could stand still.

Good luck on getting someone to call back about fixing your recliner. We've never had luck with things like that, even under warranty or having purchased extended warranty on furniture. Our recliners are only a little over a year old and were quite expensive. Kent has busted the wooden supports in both arms of his from pushing off to get up. They are still under warranty but right now I can't face the hassle of trying to get something done about it. It doesn't seem to have made the arms sag or anything. You can see the broken wood in the arm if you turn the recliner over and look up into the arm. They used the cheapest soft pine wood it appears.
 
I totally agree about having them both done at the same time. I thought before that it would be unbearable, but now, knowing that you really can put your weight on the new knee, if I had it to do over, I'd want them done at the same time.
My recovery time for my BTKR was a little longer than one TKR recovery time---I guess this is pretty common---but again, if I had to do it all over again, I would choose the same path---getting them done at the same time saved me time in the long run---time that I spent not just recovering, but getting on with my life.
 
You certainly may find therapeutic massage helpful. It's not an instant "cure" but for me it did help loosen those muscles up a little.
 
@kneeper Thanks - I think it's definitely worth a try. I looked and there is one place that's local, looks good and I get a huge discount through the insurance. I will give them a call on Monday!
 
@gr82cu2 Can you believe I actually got a call back on the recliner! Amazing. I called last week and never heard anything back. Called again yesterday and the lady called me back today. We have a repair man coming next Friday to look at it and see what would need to be done to fix it. Honestly, I want a new one. It's only 4 months old. But, I think I've used a year's worth of reclining at least these past 4 months. But, as long as they can fix it, I'll be happy. Hopefully it will work out.
 
I'm impressed :) Hopefully they will just change it out for a new one for you. At the very least, I hope they don't have to take it and keep it for very long fixing it.
 
@gr82cu2 So I told my trainer at the gym that I popped the springs on my recliner. She started laughing, and asked me what I ate how much I really ate after surgery. I of course told her she didn't want to know, LOL. I hope I get a new one too - but doubt it will be that easy.
 
So, I thought of one of the "random thoughts" I had that forgot to write about the other day. It has to do with ROM. DO NOT let numbers get you down. And it is true that less is sometimes more. What I mean is this: My flexion in both knees was 90 in the hospital. Even from day one, I was frustrated as in my hospital PT class, everyone else was in the 100's. But, I was at 90 which was acceptable. Three days later when I started with outpatient PT, I measured in the 70's. I struggled with swelling for weeks and it impacted my ROM. I tried hard not to get down when I read on BS that others were in the 100's, or gaining 5 to 10 degrees per week, etc. I was gaining maybe 1 degree or sometimes even losing. BUT, I had a great PT, who didn't push me, didn't hurt me, and let me stop the bend when it hurt and I couldn't go more. She also told me (as BS did) to concentrate on getting the swelling down, and not to do too many exercises. Less is more - less exercise will help the swelling - and also less swelling will give you more ROM. Little by little my flexion (and extension) increased. Slowly. It was frustating at times, but I honestly didn't work too hard at it either. I followed the BS way of recovering, and rested all that I could, iced constantly with my ice machine and kept up with my pain meds. By 4 months after surgery, I'm at 125 and 120. I'm still having swelling and stiffness, so I hope eventually when that calms down I can get to 130 in each knee. It was a long and frustrating process, and looking back I really wish I didn't play the numbers game. If I had to do it again, I probably would have asked her to measure me less often in the beginning when it was moving so slowly. But I also would definitely proceed the same way I did, slowly but surely - and not pushing at any point in time.

On a different note, earlier today I realized I had about an hour period of time when I didn't think about my knees. I think that's a first!!! By the afternoon, on this cold and rainly day, I was very stiff and moving slower - but it was so nice while it lasted!!
 
It's great when that happens--the knee recedes from our attention!
 
Yes, it was pretty cool :)

So, today was a bad day, I was very stiff and achey all day. Then after work all day I had to go meet with my trainer at the gym. Also hard because I was swollen and stiff. I get home and cook dinner......and sit to watch TV. About an hour later I realize I hadn't taken any meds at all since the Aleve this morning. And, I wasn't miserable - I was still, achey and swollen but that's typical. But, I didn't take any Tylenol, Aleve or even Tramadol all day long, even late afternoon when I am at my worst. The fact I totally forgot to take anything is exciting - baby steps towards moving past all this. So now I'm icing and I just took two Tylenol.
 
Whoo!! What a day and you soldiered right on through it. I wonder how long these "bad days" keep rearing their ugly heads? Surely it all ends eventually. I hope you get some good rest tonight. (((hugs)))
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom