Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gr82cu2 Thanks! I too wonder how long this will all last. What a roller coaster (as you know!!) we are on!
 
WOW - @ljrfrm, I wish I had followed your thread from the minute (slight exaggeration here) I got out of surgery - instead of just letting you pop in and cheer me up with your wonderful advice, on mine. I know that my situation hasn't been ideal to keep up on BoneSmart but some of the exchanges you've had with @referee54 are keepers, as well as the way you recorded your thoughts and I will go back and read them when I'm home for good after Tuesday. They are inspirational for me as I follow you down the BTKR path.

Hope you are able to get your recliner fixed asap!
 
@Threads You are always so great for my ego :) Thanks for checking in on my thread........it's nice to go back and read it - it helps me to remember how far I've come!! Hopefully, it will help others as they plan/recover from this surgery.

I had such a busy day at work on Friday. I gave a two hour presentation in the morning, then stopped at the mall to return some clothes (of course I parked on the wrong end so had to do a lot of walking), then delivered some food and gifts to some of our needy families at my school - many of whom lived on the third floor of apartments with no elevators (lugging all the canned goods up stairs wasn't easy), and then we drove 2 hours to where my son goes to college, walked from the hotel to dinner and back again. I was a bit stiff/achey and swollen but I did it all. I was pretty happy with myself. I had to cancel my appointment with my trainer since we were leaving town, but I have no doubt that all that easily was more PT than I would have had at the gym.

We got back home last night - and today I will be back in my recliner all day, icing and elevating, and not doing much of anything all day!!! BTW, my poor recliner - the guy came to "diagnose" the problem, and told me it all looked fine. I was upset as it's not normal for a recliner to make that sound multiple times, and now it's rubbing and squeaking. After complaining to a supervisor, they will now send out someone else.
 
@ljrfrm - I can't believe you did all that in the last two days. Surely you didn't carry those items up to the families by yourself! It's wonderful to help others but remember to keep yourself #1 until you no longer remember that you've had knee surgery! That was one thing that I read in your thread - the day will come when for maybe an hour, I'll forget that I had knee surgery. Friday evening and yesterday - even though you did a lot - it was important family stuff and you could rest in the car (and hopefully there were spots on the journey where you could stretch). Is college finished for Christmas? Will he be home soon?

I'm glad you went up the ladder with your complaints to your repairman's supervisor. You can always use the BoneSmart threat by saying that you will tell all your buddies here what bad service that company provided, if they don't come through. You've been very good in not naming the brand.

Doug's doing my laundry and after we've had our chat with Bruce in China this evening, I'll head back to rehab for two nights. Then I'm done and I can cut these hospital wrist bands off!!!

Enjoy your recliner today. One more week of work for you - yippee!
 
@Threads Yep, I carried everything up myself, arms full in one trip. I didn't realize the apartment was on the third floor when I started up. I definitely don't always practice what I preach, with taking care of myself. But, I am doing the best I can to ice and relax today. I am decorating for Christmas, but taking it easy and taking lots of breaks to hang in my recliner.

My son is done with his semester and we brought him home yesterday. My oldest will fly home next week, and will stay for 10 days. It is always nice to have everyone home. I'm glad you had a chance to talk to Bruce last night. I'm sure he's glad to hear how well you're doing.

Yes, one more week of work - and Friday we get to leave 2 hours early! I'm definitely counting down to the holiday break! Hope all goes well tomorrow on your last day and the assessments, and then Tuesday you will be home!
 
@ljrfrm - you are probably sound asleep - your last one before your extended visit with your recliner!!! :egypdance:
Try to be good to yourself over the holidays - I know that easier said than done. I'll be thinking of you and both our teachers and all 3 grandchildren tomorrow as you all wind down for a well deserved break.
 
@Threads Thanks so much. It's been a busy, crazy week so I am so looking forward to the break. I think the kids have all just been nuts this week too - they are all so ready as well. My recliner is so excited that we will be reunited once again!
 
@Threads Do you hear that??? It's me singing "Reunited" to my recliner! WooHoo - it's vacation!!! I'm heading to your thread now to check in and see how you are doing.
 
@ljrfrm - :cheers: - that's eggnog in our mugs. Mine's still a "virgin" one but you deserve a rum toddy in yours as you recline!

I'd better head "home" and update.
 
I think the kids have all just been nuts this week too - they are all so ready as well.
People do not realize that the teachers look forward to vacation as much, if not more so, than the students!
Do you hear that??? It's me singing "Reunited" to my recliner! WooHoo - it's vacation!!!
Relax, sleep in,and get re-acquainted with your recliner!
 
Thanks @Threads and @referee54! I shouldn't be quite this excited considering I've only been back for like a month. But hey, I've missed this trusty recliner a bunch :)
 
I made the mistake of assigning twelve-page research papers that were due last day of school before Christmas break---that meant that I had to grade about 80 papers---that never happened again!:snork:
 
@referee54 - I'm not a teacher but in a family of teachers. It doesn't matter what level you teach, a good teacher never learns and always gives their "all". My sister-in-law spent this week grading university poli-sci exams. I phoned to wish her a happy birthday and she was just taking a break to go out for a celebratory dinner.

I wish all teachers a wonderful break and special healing family time!
 
I work in two schools but I am not a teacher, I'm a school social worker. BUT, I have to say I could never be a teacher - they all have the most awesome patience! I love what I do because I get to work in the school, can have the relationship with the kids, but can also go to the bathroom or go get coffee anytime I want :)
 
@ljrfrm - that's a tough job you have and just as important to the child needing your special skills as a caring teacher. There are so many people involved in helping a child grow into a happy adult who in turn gives back to his community. There is a lot of truth in the saying - it takes a village to raise a child. My virgin mug of eggnog is raised to you!! Hope you are in your recliner.
 
I can't imagine doing anything I'd enjoy more--but boy am I ready for break. Stacks of essay exams await...
 
In case I don't get back here in the next couple of days I wanted to be sure to wish you a very Merry Christmas! I hope Santa is good to you this year :) :santa sleigh::merry christmas:
 
Life is nice when I don't have to work. I slept until 10 am!!! After TWO cups of coffee and some relaxing in my recliner, I went to the gym. I walked two miles and rode the bike two miles. Came home, showered and relaxed and iced in my recliner. This afternoon I went for my first massage for my tight, achey hamstrings/calves/IT band. It was great. I found the place through my insurance, who gives a nice discount for her. She did a great job - and focused on all my tight areas, and also my pockets of swelling in my knees. She said my right side is much tighter than the left - which doesn't surprise me as my ROM on that side is worse, and I feel the tightness stopping me from being able to bend more. I'm going to try to see her weekly for a month and am hoping that will make a big difference in my recovery. Tomorrow morning I meet with my trainer again and then in the evening I have one last visit with my PT. This visit is to just make sure I am doing ok (I haven't seen her since the end of Nov.) and to make sure I don't have any questions, concerns, etc. I'm interested to see what my ROM is - I feel like it's worse (due to swelling) but maybe I'm wrong?

I'm going to make dinner soon and then fall back into my recliner for the evening. I can get used to this no working life. It certainly would be good for my recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom