Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had the transmission done on our van but then again, he's taken us from the Mexican border to Inuvik on the Beaufort Sea (part of the Artic Ocean) and from the west coast of Vancouver Island on the Pacific (next stop Japan) to Cape Spear in Newfoundland (the most eastern spot in Canada). He's our home away from home when we are on the road but everything packs neatly away for city life. Here's a photo of one - but ours is red. I'm sure you've seen them around ;-) This photo is with the top popped which we have when we're camping or cooking.

[Bonesmart.org] It's finally time!!


Enjoy your new van - you are still at the point in your life when you are "knee" deep in kids and their happenings. Now it's grandkids for us.
 
@Threads What great memories in that van!!! That's great!! We actually didn't get a van - My oldest son recently moved out of state after college graduation and my middle son is away at college. So with only one at home, we downsized to a crossover SUV type car. Still some room, but not quite as big as the van. It's seems like it will be a fun car though.

We used to camp a lot and stopped when all the boys became so active in sports. We never had time to get away anymore. Someday in retirement, I have dreams of buying a camper and going back to camping, seeing the US and visiting grandkids.

Someday......for now, it's back to work on Monday!
 
Time flies - can't believe you are heading back to work already. Take it easy and try not to overdo it!

Add this corner of Canada to your travel plans when you retire. We got our little camper van when the last of our 3 sons flew the nest. For a lot of years we travelled as far as we could go in the 3 weeks I took for my fall holidays. We were limited by my holidays - DH got more. We got to Arizona but never made it as far as New Mexico in the south. We visited parts of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.
 
We have friends that moved to your area - we will be there within the next few year to visit!!! And, hopefully take an Alaskan cruise :)
 
Three Month Update:
Today is three months since my BTKR. The past three months have been full of ups and downs, and I'm thankful that I've been able to take time off from work, and just concentrate on taking care of myself. I decided to return to work this upcoming Monday. I am a bit worried, but I feel like I need to start returning to my "normal" life and this is the first step. I will be working four hours per day, for a 20 hour a week part-time schedule for three weeks. I work in two schools, but will only be returning to one of the schools, so I won't be traveling between them during the day. If all goes well after three weeks, I will go full-time the first week of December. The good news is after two weeks of full-time, I'll have winter break - and two full weeks off to recover. If I'm not ready, I will do the first two weeks of Dec PT as well, and return to full-time after winter break in January. I'm very lucky that we have a strong short-term disability plan, and I can afford to return to work when I'm ready, and not just due to finance concerns.

I am more active than previously, although I've found that if I have several busy days, it takes me multiple days to recover. But, it is so nice to be able to get out and about. My husband and I are going away next week, and I'm anxiously looking forward to my first night out since my surgery. I'm trying to decide what my first celebratory drink will be........

Here's a bit of an update on how I'm doing at this point-
PT: I am winding down with PT with mixed emotions. Last measured (last week) my ROM was 120 (left) and 114 (right). My extension hasn't been measure in many weeks, and I'm worried it isn't as good as before. I've concentrated so much on flexion, and notice that it's much harder to straighten my legs when I'm walking. I've started working more at home with my extension, doing several exercises the PT showed me to include laying on my stomach with my legs (knees) hanging off the bed (10 min.) and also sitting on a chair with my legs up on another chair in front of me. I put something weighted on my knees and sit for around 10 minutes at a time. I'm trying to do one of these activities three times per day. The reason I have mixed emotions about leaving PT is 1) I've come to rely on her to help me with all my aching musles, spasms, aches and pains. She's great at rubbing, massaging, stretching and fixing all these problems areas, and 2) I like to know where I'm at with my ROM, as it provides me incentives to keep working. I'm down to going to PT once per week this month, and then I am done. I am planning to continue to work with my trainer at the gym, but she is on vacation this week and next week. So far, I haven't been very good at getting there myself. I need to change that and get over there into the pool or in the gym.

Sleep: Other than a few nights on insomnia after stopping my Hydrocodone, I don't have too much problems falling asleep. I still wake up once during the night, and I get up and walk for a minute to stretch my legs. I wake up in pain from having my knees bent and still have terrible spasms when i straighten them. Over the weeks, the severity of pain and discomfort has improved, but sleeping positions are still challenging at times. I still get tired during the day at times, I'm sure due to the fact that I don't always get restful sleep at night. However, I find myself having "moments" where I feel good, and feel like my old self.

Medications: I stopped my Hydrocodone and haven't had the need to take any for probably several weeks. I still take Tramadol, however this week I noticed multiple days where I realize that I hadn't take any for over 8 hours. This "forgetting' to take them is my body's own way of weaning me off of them. I have no desire to stop taking them if I need them, so just let my body decide when it's needed. I tend to take 2-3 per day. I try not to take any if I'm going to be driving, and will supplement with Tylenol or Ibuprofen if needed.

Pain: My knees still get achey at times, and there are moments where out of the blue I will get a stronger pain or twinge. I'm having ankle and hip (hip flexor) pain, which has been a repercussion of the surgery (lack of ROM and weird gait, etc.). My biggest problem has to do with my left leg on the side, where I have assumed it's the IT band. My PT has a theory of the pain, as she notices when I walk and go down stairs my left knee drifts in a bit. She believes that I started walking that way due to pain and now it's just natural, so we are doing strengthening exercises and I am doing my best to concentrate with my gait to correct the issue which hopefully will help the pain. I am so very stiff each day, which is my biggest problem. I stand up from sitting and it take me several steps to straighten my legs and walk "normally". I'm working on stretching more and have been massaging with essential oils, which seems to be helping. I still swell if I do too much, and am still not icing enough.

I feel like I've come so far and on the one hand I know I'm doing well. I'm thankful I haven't had any setbacks and my recovery has been smooth. However, I'm noticing that this is a really tough stage. Personally, I'm just tired of all of this and it gets frustrating to have everything revolve around my know. I'm tired of aching, of feeling stiff and of not being able to bend my legs how and when I want. On another level, it's hard because people expect you to be "better", and want and expect you to do things. I'm lucky that I have great support from family, work and this BS community to help me stay patient and get through this. I know the end is in sight, and I just need to hang in there. I will keep chugging along.

@Crow22, I know you haven't been around a lot lately, which means that you are out and about and enjoying your new knees. I'm so glad it has all gone so well for you. @rosietosie and @PuppyLove You two are doing amazing as well, and I continue to learn from you both, even though I am ahead of you. And finally to @Threads, you are next - and I know you will do GREAT.
 
:goodpost:

@ljrfrm - thanks for the detailed 3 month report. It's important to me to understand that "magic" isn't in the air immediately and that I have to be patient (not a strong point) for the long haul. I really appreciate you taking the time to write it all out.

I'm glad to hear that you are going back to work part-time with options to ease yourself in more slowly, should you need to.
 
It sounds like you are doing well and still the same as me in so many ways. You might be surprised that returning to work part time may end up being of some benefit for rehab. I know for myself I spend sooooo much time just sitting because in my mind I think I can't do this or that yet and really I should try, at least. When I've had other surgeries I dreaded returning to work but once I got back in there I think it speeded my recovery both physically and mentally. I totally understand about paying for extra activities with days of increased resting......totally get that! I hope you are able to enjoy your trip next week with your husband. I don't know what you have planned but do try to give yourself plenty of rest breaks. Even if it's to stop somewhere and have a coffee or even better, a cocktail and relax for a bit. Most places you can get your legs up on a chair opposite of where you are sitting and if anyone gives you the stink eye show them your scars!!! LOL

Your ROM (120 one) is the same as mine and my extension is currently (measured today on knee #1) at -3 degrees. I was just telling the PT when he came in that I felt my extension had improved some the past 3-4 weeks. I can feel the difference when I'm walking and especially when I'm standing. It feels less tiring on my quads now. Keep working on stretching those quads and hamstrings and it will get better for you. Really, I think just doing more every day type activities....walking, housework, picking up sticks in the yard, grocery shopping, every activity helps with that. I get you about not wanting to stop PT either. I'm really gonna miss my Michelle when this is over. She has helped me so much and is so encouraging.

You certainly have come a long ways and remember you did BOTH at the same time. Most of us are only dealing with rehabbing one so you've done almost double duty. I understand the frustration and feeling like you just want it to be over with now and move on and forget about those darn knees. I feel the same. Some days I'm more patient than others but overall it has definitely gotten better. I try and remind myself just how far I've really come since before surgery and immediately after and that helps. Still, sometimes I just have to have a good old fashioned cry over it all.

Have fun on your getaway and let us know how things go after your return to work. xox (((hugs))) xox
 
@gr82cu2 I agree with you about work. I think I spend too much time in my recliner at times. I know it's helping my knees a lot, but it makes me feel so sluggish and ugh at the same time to be so sedative. I'm hoping that work goes well - I know they're excited to have me back. Hopefully it won't be too crazy with work. Thanks for the good wishes about our overnight away. Our "getaway" is actually pretty local - to a resort that's close by. So not going far away but still getting away. So, there's no long driving, not a lot of walking, just relaxing, good food and hopefully some yummy drinks. It's the perfect mini getaway.

I'm so happy to be reading how well you're doing. I think just having been through it again is a help, and you have done a great job advocating for yourself with the pain meds. I have no doubt this knee will be easier. Hopefully at some point we will both be living our lives without the knees coming first!!
 
@ljrfrm See my latest 2 posts on my thread :( things have gone down, down, down hill!!!

Even a local getaway can be fun! Enjoy!
 
"I feel like I've come so far and on the one hand I know I'm doing well. I'm thankful I haven't had any setbacks and my recovery has been smooth. However, I'm noticing that this is a really tough stage. Personally, I'm just tired of all of this and it gets frustrating to have everything revolve around my know. I'm tired of aching, of feeling stiff and of not being able to bend my legs how and when I want. On another level, it's hard because people expect you to be "better", and want and expect you to do things. I'm lucky that I have great support from family, work and this BS community to help me stay patient and get through this. I know the end is in sight, and I just need to hang in there. I will keep chugging along."
@ljrfrm - I'm so right there with you on this!!! I guess it's a balancing act on how much we do plus how much we allow ourselves to rest. Wanting to be able to do more but knowing you'll pay for it later. I hope you have a great trip. Enjoy yourself! Hang in there !
 
@ljrfrm - you don't have to go far to get a real change of scene. A break in what has become your routine will be wonderful. Don't be hard on yourself! Just think where you won't be next week and where I'll be! That part is all behind you now!
 
Hi- I was thinking of you today and wondering how your feeling and see that you went car shopping. Woohoo.
I always anticipate the "swelling stiffness" too but it sounds like you got through it. I 9 weeks today and wonder if in turning a corner. I feel abnormally good lately and my PT goal is to be at 120 in my right leg but I stopped worrying about that since my OS visit. I cut to 2 pain pills a day and using melatonin to sleep at night.
Anyway, hope you are well.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@rosietosie Exactly, it's that balancing act that's hard at times. I went and had my hair highlighted and cut the other day (time to hidr the gray again before I go back to work). I was SO sore and achey that night - and all I did was sit for my hair. But, I guess it was just too much for me sitting in the chair for that long. I did stand up and stretch once but it really took a lot out of me. Really? I can go car shopping but I can't sit and get my hair done?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Shmi47 Isn't it nice when we can have "good days"? Looking back, I too think that 9/10 weeks was a turning point for me. I was at PT last night talking with her about the little progress I've made in the last 4 weeks. She pointed out all the strides I've made and she was right - I have come so far, I just don't notice it at times. I think the stiffness is so bothersome, I tend to overlook how much easier it is to walk, pedal, etc. 120 was always my ROM goal too. Last night, I was measure at 122 in my left leg and 118 in my right. It was much easier to get to the number too, a little discomfort but no pain and I did it myself. So, I do think that weeks 9-13 showed a lot of progress for me.........I just need to remind myself that the stiff, uncomfortable feeling will pass. I still get quite achey at times if I don't take a Tramadol - but I can easily go 8 hours (or more at times) between doses.

You are doing great - especially if you are only taking two pills per day. I used to take Melatonin too and will go back to it, but for now, I'm lucky that it seems the Tramadol still knocks me out at night.

@Threads Thanks for the good trip wishes. Honestly, we are only going away locally, but I'm just so looking forward to getting away. My son will stay overnight with his neighborhood friend. We will head over Sat afternoon and checkin, then just relax, go out to dinner, and that night we have a concert event that is at the resort that we will attend. Breakfast buffet the next morning, and then home. A quickie and close getaway, but the key word is AWAY! :)
 
I think you are doing amazingly well and if I can do as well as you have, I'll be a happy camper. We had three nights away at the end of September and even though it wasn't fancy - we "popped the top" in our Westphalia and camped in a beautiful provincial park, it was away! We were only going to stay two nights but we ended up staying 3 because the weather was so beautiful.

Off for my pre-op and then to get my wash & wear hair done (perm). Things are falling into place.

Have a wonderful break - it sounds like a pampering change of scene. Enjoy the concert!
 
So, I am home from my quick little overnight getaway. We had a great time and enjoyed the music of three different bands that performed. The good news is I danced!!!! The bad news is I think I probably looked like Frankenstein. My head told my body to move a certain way - but the knees didn't seem to get that message! But.......I danced and had fun! AND, it was on NO Tramadol. Since I knew I wanted to have a few drinks, I just took Tylenol. I was achey and very stiff......but, not so much to not enjoy myself.

Now, I'm home and icing - and then off to my son's soccer game. Tomorrow I go back to work part-time, so I will spend the rest of the afternoon resting and icing once again. I guess I should try to find my work bag and get into the mindframe of work also.
 
:egypdance::wowspring::happydance: Can you tell I'm happy to hear about your "great escape"! Every minute of icing today must feel worth it as you look back on the views, the change of scene and routine, the food, the music and the DANCING! You are my inspiration. Take it easy today and pamper yourself. Slide into work as slowly as you can, I know it will be hard - people always "save" stuff for you to do :yes:
 
@Threads I'm laying in bed right now, comfy under the covers and dreading getting out in 15 min to go to the soccer game. I think I'm too old for nightlife, LOL. I'm SO tired.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom