Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Threads Thanks for the avatar kudos. I looks a little blurry in there I think, but it's a beautiful picture. My stepmom took the photo - It was taken in France, at Monet's Garden at Giverny. I love the reflections in the water.
 
@Shmi47 I think you are right, it seemed to last about 45 min. I didn't put anything on the footrest of my recliner (oops) and this morning it smells like Tiger Balm down here!! No worries LOL. I think you're right - it didn't really take away the pain, but it made the aches feel better. I definitely liked it and will use again. My neighbor brought over some essential oils last night too and I was checking them out. I don't think my husband appreciated all the smells in here - but I'm willing to give them a try too.

I may have to take a peek at that book - or find some others similar. I still have a lot to learn, but I definitely felt better when I was eating clean.

I am still achey today - but I tend to get achiest when I wake up and am more stiff. As I was stretching last night, I noticed my knees looked pretty swollen. I have PT today, but will work on icing a lot and see if that helps with the stiffness.

Hope you have a good, ache-free day!!!
 
Hey @ljrfrm Seems like you are doing really well. I'm sorry that you are sore and working through those healing muscles. It can be very frustrating at times. I too am trying to loose those "surgery" pounds. My husband fed me really well when I came home and now I'm working on getting back in shape! You asked me about your oils, and I agree lemon is very good in your drinking water. Peppermint is usually used for headaches, also used for indigestion. Cedar can be a very "hot" oil like cinnamon or rosemary, so be sparing when putting on your skin, best to dilute it with some water. I'm not sure how it's used homeopathically. The best herbs for topical pain is Arnica and for healing is Calendula. These two are powerhouses and you can get them as an ointment. I swear by the St. Johns wort oil as it helps to repair nerve damage and seems to alleviate my knee aches.
Don't be feeling bad about not felling motivated, it's really hard some days, and I find myself slacking off and going for a walk instead of home p.t. Some days I just don't feel like doing it!! lol
Sounds like your ROM is going great and you've got to be so happy. Loving your picture, it is really beautiful.
Happy almost 12 weeks!!!:spin:
 
Some days "slacking" is just what the knee (and you) need. I found (and still find) it feels good to do some stretching and massaging the leg.
 
@Crow22 Thanks for the oils information. I will check out the St. Johns wort oil too. @kneeper I'm working on doing stretching and massaging a bit more regularly, as I too am finding it very helpful.
 
12 week update: Not much new this week other than I notice that I can pedal a bit faster and walk a bit further. My ROM has increased a bit as well and I am now at 120 (yay, finally!) on the left and 114 on the right. I think I'm having more problems with extension, although haven't been measured lately. I've concentrated so much on bending, and although I do stretching and some extension work, I need to push for that as well. I'm winding down on PT, after this week I will go weekly during November but if all goes well, I only have 5 more visits. In exchange for PT, I plan to start again next week with my trainer at the gym. She will be coordinating with my PT to discuss what I've been doing, etc. The focus of PT has very much changed over the last few weeks, as I am doing less strength work, and she is helping me more with tight muscles. We also worked this week on going down the stairs, where I still have a rough time (due to the tight muscles).

I am off the Hydrocodone compeltely but do have some leftovers and have no problem taking on if needed. I tend to take 2-3 Tramadols a day. I still get quite achey as the day progesses if I've been out and about. I am supposed to return to work next week, but requested today for an extension for one more week off and then three weeks part-time, which will take me to December. The doctor has agreed and signed the paperwork, and I'm just waiting for my short-term disability case manager to approve. I'm not sure if that extra week will make a difference or not, but I just didn't feel ready to go to work on Monday.

I am doing well and I am stronger each day. Unfortunately, I am just having so many problems with tight and achey muscles. I have been hit with insomnia the last three nights, which I'm pretty sure is related to not taking the Hydrocodone right before bed. I know that has helped me sleep, so I think I need to get used to sleeping on my own. Unfortunately, I tend to have such muscle spasms when I get into bed that I can't get comfortable, which doesn't help either. I'm working on a lot of stretching, massaging, oils in addition to PT to get on top of the tight muscles. I am trying to swim at least 3x a week as well, in order to stretch and move. I also have been going into the hot tub for 10 minutes (not long, but don't want to go in too long because I still have some swelling) which feels wonderful on my achey body.

I still feel so stiff and achey each day - and spend a lot of time resting in my recliner. But, I also am able to participate in activities such as driving, going out to dinner, going to soccer games, shopping, housework, etc. All in all, I continue to improve slowly.
 
It sounds like you are doing great as far as getting back to life! I think it is a good idea to take another week if you can and then part time too, if you are allowed. Once you go back to work you will be forced back into a whole other way of getting through each day. I hope it's not a shock to your system or more importantly, to your knees. Your ROM is very good and progressing nicely :) @ConnieJOS had trouble sleeping too once she gave up the Hydrocodone but she got through it after several sleepless nights. You could always try taking some Benadryl (the sleepy part of Tylenol PM without the Tylenol) if all else fails. I still get the achey stiffness too if I'm up and doing things too much. I tried to live like a normal person this past weekend and I'm paying for it with increased swelling (my knee is back to squishy) and pain in my muscles and tendons and my knee is uncomfortably HOT. I hear one day we'll be all better :) I hope once you get back to work you'll still be able to find a few minutes now and then to let me know how you are getting along. I'll be right here recovering with knee #2. You are the smart one, doing both at the same time. Before I did my 1st one I thought people who did that had to be crazy but y'all have the right idea. I know it has to be harder but at least it's just one recovery. Take care and check in when you can. (((hugs)))
 
@gr82cu2 My biggest concern with being back at work is the exhaustion and achiness (and chaos) will get in the way of rehab. I don't want to be so sore that all I want to do is come home and climb into my recliner. So, I'm hoping the Part Time will give me some time to get into better habits - and help me find a medium between doing too much and not doing enough.

I figured my sleeping issues were the Hydrocodone, so hearing that it's happened to others validates that. I have some Zzzzquil here I might take tonight, just for a night or two.

I'm glad you had fun with your sister and got out. Although you are just like me, where we end up paying for our fun!! Your surgery is coming up very quickly - and I have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised with your recovery. No worries - I will definitely keep up with BS once I'm back to work :)
 
Well, go easy on yourself. If you have a hard day let yourself relax once you get home, if you can and need to. Your legs are going to need some time to heal from the days activities. At the very least get some ice on those knees for awhile after you get home. I still swear ice is like a miracle. I can be to the point where I think I can't stand one more minute or take one more step and I sit down and ice for even 15 minutes and I'm good to go again for awhile. :loveshwr:
 
@gr82cu2 I agree with the ice - it really helps. I think you and I are having pretty much the same recovery in so many ways!!!!
 
Hi @ljrfrm. I know about the smell but I kind of like it. I ran through the last of mine yesterday and I am dying tonight. Feel like my calves are going to pull at me all night. Another thing you may try is adding more potassium and magnesium to your diet. They also have some minerals at health food store or just eat some bananas before bed.
It just sounds like you are uncomfortable too but great about your moving to a trainer. I am going to do the same thing when I am done with PT.
I tried to ween myself off the meds this week (don't know why) and my dr as well as Jamie said much too soon. The muscle aches are tough, but I suppose that the trauma our bodies have endured I would suspect it to be normal.
I am glad for you that you requested another week and also do part time. I plan to hopefully start work in January. I can't imagine going back right now. Someday I cannot even sit without feeling so restless.

I hope that you get a good nights rest tonight. The nurse told me Benadryl is good for trying to sleep last night I slept 6 hours and only woke once. I thought that was pretty good.
Take care.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ljrfrm, glad to read your update and learn that you are going to ease yourself back into work. Smart decision in MHO - but what do I know - yet ........ Our son was having trouble getting his internal clock changed from China to NA and our pharmacist pointed out stand alone capsules of Diphenhydramine, which is the part of Benedryl that makes you sleepy - without the other drugs. It was inexpensive and worked like a charm on him. He has his internal clock adjusted just in time to return to China! I'm keeping them in mind for when I get there - to that part of my recovery, not China ;-)

Congratulations on reaching the 12 week mark!
 
Diphenhydramine is the same thing as Benadryl. It's an antihistamine and is used for allergy. Benadryl is just the brand name. But antihistamines also make most people sleepy, so it is also branded and sold as a sleep aid. It's the same ingredient as Unisom, Nytol, Sominex, and Zzzquil. It's also the sleepy part of PM pain relievers like Tylenol PM. I've dealt with a lot of insomnia and have tried everything. Now and then diphenhydramine makes me sleepy, but more often it just makes me feel groggy but agitated and I can't sleep. It's strange how different medications affect different people. I've heard some people say hydrocodone keeps them awake. When I take it, I have trouble staying awake even when I need to! Of course, any of them, if they are used very often will lose their effectiveness.
 
@Threads and @ConnieJOS Thanks for the info on the medication. I will definitely try something if this insomnia continues. Last night was actually better - I didn't try to go to sleep until well after midnight, hoping that would help me be very tired. After such little sleep the previous two nights, I did fall asleep quicker. Plus, I noticed my muscles were not spasming as bad as the previous nights (I worked hard to stretch, massage with essential oils, etc.) which I also think helped me relax and be able to sleep. I just wish I was able to sleep in and not have to get up so early with my son. I'd love to try to catch up on some sleep before I head back to work. I'm worried about nappying, given the problems I've had falling asleep.
 
Hi @Shmi47. Thanks for the info on potassium and magnesium. I usually have a banana each day, but will try to eat it later in the evening and see if it makes a difference. My friend swears by Epsom Salt baths, so I actually ordered some yesterday (Amazon is getting a lot of my business lately LOL) which I plan to soak in and see if it helps. I'm willing to try anything!!! From my understanding, it's a great way to absorb magnesium. Will share if it's helpful (or not). As I just mentioned above, I was a bit better last night before bed. I did some stretching and massage right before bed, and used the Deep Blue essential oil with the massage (which smells very much like Tiger Balm, just a bit less strong). My poor husband is not appreciating all the new smells in bed, LOL.

As for weaning yourself from the meds - I can only give you my opinion which is based on my experience - I think you are a bit too soon to purposely wean from the pain meds. I used only my body and pain levels to naturally wean from them. I basically took the meds "on demand", in other words, when I needed them and not scheduled regularly (at the beginning, I took them faithfully on schedule - I'm talking more about 6-8 weeks out). So, instead of 4 hours apart I moved to 5 or 6, etc. I slowly tapered down to only using the Hydrocordone at night which I just dropped last week when I realized I no longer needed it. I still take the Tramadol, not so much for my knees (although they do ache at time) but more the soft tissues surrounding the knees which get so achey, and Tylenol doesn't take the ache away. I have though gotten to the point where I don't notice the need for the Tramadol until about 8 hours -so I'm at probably 3 pills a day, max. I sometimes will take it with Tylenol but don't notice the difference so often will just take the Tramadol. So, my advice is not to push the weaning, you are not ready yet. Let your body dictate when you are ready - you will slowly notice that you have another hour, or two, between doses and little by little you will be taking less until there is no need. My guess is my next step is only needing the Tramadol at night - and then hopefully at some point I can stop all together.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Threads Hey there, I was just thinking of you earlier. Your surgery is next week, right? Are you ready for some bionic new knees??? You have done so much to prepare for the surgery - I just know your recovery will go well.

I'm doing well - I plan to post a 3 month update later today and can go into more details. Our mini van died last week after 14 years, so we spent this past weekend buying a new car. I was out and about walking, sitting and not caring for my knee for several days and it held up pretty well. I was a bit achey and stiff, but I was very happy with being able to deal with the car shopping without too much discomfort. I also went to my son's soccer game and out to dinner so it was a busy and long weekend. I just got back from the mall, having bought my son a new pair of (too expensive!) basketball shoes. I'm icing now as I've very much overdone it the past 3-4 days. But, it's been nice to be out and about and feeling somewhat normal. I'll send more of an update later today. Thanks for checking in.
 
@ljrfrm - great to hear from you! WOW - you have been really active and leading an almost normal life. Thst's encouraging. Too bad about having to replace your vehicle. Our only vehicle is our Volkswagan Westphalia and it's 19 years old! However, we still camp in it sometimes when away from the city, so we do everything within our power to keep it humming along. It's irreplaceable - they don't make them anymore - so we're just not ready to part with it. I am concerned about getting in and out of it after surgery, it's quite a climb and swing up. I guess I'll have to use a stool and allow myself to be chauffeured ;-)

Looking forward to your update later.
 
@Threads We bought the van when my youngest was four months old and it's sad that it's no longer driveable. But to replace the transmission, etc. would be $4100 and the car is worth at the most $3,000 so we just couldn't see doing that. It's nice having a new car but sad that the van is gone. And, just as sad to now have a car payment, LOL. Wow, I've never even heard of your Volkswagan - hope it lasts you for much longer. And no worries, you'll find a way to get in :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom