Guest viewing is limited

THR It's done (finally)!

DaisyDuck, I am so very sorry to hear what you're concerned about pain &/or swelling in your calf. To ease you worries, you're going to only stop wondering IF it is a blood clot, is to go to ER for testing. Have you used a cloth tape measure to see how much swelling difference between left &right calves ?????
Good Luck. Please Let us know how it went.
 
@daisyduck0801
It's probably soft tissue swelling, but I agree that an ER visit would set your mind at ease.

@2nd Hippy - as we expect post op soft tissue swelling will only affect the operated side, we fully expect a discrepancy in thigh, knee, calf circumference.
 
@daisyduck0801 I understand how you feel because I had a similar experience after my THR five years ago.

Even though the doctor thought it was just normal post-op swelling, I ended up going to the hospital for an ultrasound because I was so worried. It turned out that there was no clot; everything was fine -- but without that visit I would have worried myself sick.

If you are worried, don't hesitate to go for the ultrasound.
 
@daisyduck0801 …. Please know that it’s easy to overdo things in the early days of healing. And, when it happens, it can be days or even weeks before things get back on track again. Please continue to rest your hip and take something for any pain you might be having on a regular schedule for a few days until things start to improve. You are VERY early in this recovery and patience is going to be important. You must allow your body time to properly heal before you start pushing things. Even though you don’t think it’s any big deal to slip in a little chore as you’re walking every few hours, it can be a big deal….especially if you are doing other exercises or going to therapy sessions too. You might want to review the material we have about wound healing that you can find linked in the blue tool bar at the top of the screen under Postop Care.
 
Thanks all for your input!

Actually, the calf itself is not swollen. It never did swell up. Yesterday evening I had an achiness in the calf (for about 20 minutes) that went away after I put my compression hose on.

It was the knee area that got a little swelling - up above the knee, the inside of the knee, and towards the outside of the knee. This swelling came about a little while after I felt the achiness in the calf. I started thinking of the proximity of the knee to the calf and it got me wondering if a clot in the calf could cause swelling in the knee area.

I've been icing the knee off and on all day and the swelling has subsided. So far, no more discomfort in the calf. Keeping an eye on things but will most likely go ahead and get it checked out, as some of you said, I will most likely drive myself crazy thinking about it.

Thanks again and Happy New Year everyone!
 
Everything is good. Swelling is back down again. No more calf discomfort. And I do feel like I'm inching my way back to how I was feeling before Saturday - the day I waaay overdid it. I've been trying a lot harder to pay attention to the time I'm on my feet. Started wearing my health watch and set the timer to 15 minutes while I'm up and moving around. At the 15 minute mark I get my butt back down. And it's a lot harder to do that than you'd think. But I think it is starting to pay off. Of course, still on the walker. But the movement is getting ever so slightly smoother (again). It's just hard to NOT overdo it, especially for us type A people.:walking:

Oh, and for the first time today I got into my car. Wanted to see what it felt like. Was slightly uncomfortable getting that left leg into position, but not too bad. My husband was with me, in the passenger seat. Drove around the block twice. Had no problem with the driving itself but wasn't all that comfortable sitting in the driver's seat. Not excruciating pain or anything like that. Just very aware of that feeling like you're sitting on a ball. So think I'm gonna hold off a little longer before getting back to driving full time.
 
My surgeon told me that the driving was 50% confidence and 50% recovery of strength. When your head is ready your hip will be. Regarding your incision: I had both hips done 8 weeks apart. The incision on hip #2 had a big lump and a sort of twisted spot for months. Now, 9 months later, both incisions are skinny pink scars. The whole process of recovery took much longer than I believed it would, but I feel great now. Read your entries on Bonesmart and you will see how much you have improved already. Happy New Year!
 
Oh, and for the first time today I got into my car. Wanted to see what it felt like. Was slightly uncomfortable getting that left leg into position, but not too bad. My husband was with me, in the passenger seat. Drove around the block twice.
Good for you for going out for the first time with your husband in the car. But, at less than a month post-op, it seems a bit early to be behind the wheel, even though it's your left hip. Did you surgeon clear you to drive already?

I'm sure this goes without saying -- but I will mention it for other members who read this thread: no one should try driving while they are still taking any type of heavy-duty pain medications.

Another suggestion: my OS said the biggest concern with driving post-op (other than medication) is that your leg won't be able to (or you will be afraid to) slam on the brakes in an emergency situation. He recommended I practice emergency stopping in a parking lot and said, "when you can do that, you are ready to drive."

The hardest part of this recovery is practicing patience, isn't it? :flwrysmile:
 
At my PRE-op I was told it would be ok to drive 2 weeks after surgery because the surgery was on my left leg. (I guess they don't think of asking someone these days if they drive a vehicle with automatic or manual transmission).

So they told me that before I even had the procedure. At my first post-op (2 weeks after surgery) I knew there was no way I was ready to drive. I had been feeling marginally better the last few days so I thought I would see what it feels like to climb into the vehicle and just sit. Like I said, wasn't too bad, but not the most comfortable thing. So, no... even though I am technically cleared to drive, it's still a little too uncomfortable and I don't trust how that might affect my driving reactions at any given moment. Gonna hold off a little bit longer.
 
So, no... even though I am technically cleared to drive, it's still a little too uncomfortable and I don't trust how that might affect my driving reactions at any given moment. Gonna hold off a little bit longer.
Wise decision. I felt the same way. Even after I was cleared, I just didn't feel comfortable in the driver's seat -- or confident that I'd be okay in an emergency.

Besides, I really got used to having "a chauffeur" all those weeks. :wink: (not sure hubby would agree.)
 
@daisyduck0801 very wise decision. You will get there. I remember my first drive (oh I wanted to drive so badly) but once I got in my vehicle I was so nervous. I literally went to store a block away & walked around & came straight home. Home is my safe space!! You will get there, patience is so hard during this recovery.
 
So... I'm going into my 5th week of recovery with a trip to my surgeon's office. Yay!:groan:
I swear, I have been doing so much better about taking it easier. Timing myself between rest and moving around. But even though I thought (originally) that I was starting to bounce back from that over-done Saturday (2 Saturdays ago), things just don't seem to be shaking out that way. The pain - crazy pain! - that travels all over, seems to be settling more or less into a few very specific spots. And sometimes it's intense. Pain is always there, even at rest. It just might be a 1 or a 2 at rest. But once on my feet and moving around (always with my walker) it's usually a 4 or 5.

I am still taking Tylenol 'round the clock. Finished up the last 'scrip of hydrocodone just this past Friday. Didn't ask for more because I hate the side effects. Not doing any PT. Icing and elevating a lot, day and night.

Last night I dozed off laying on my right side with a pillow between my legs. Always been a side sleeper. Obviously, not sleeping on my surgery side. I woke up at 3:45 in such excruciating pain - coming from the hip, thigh, knee, hamstring...I started feeling nauseous the pain was so bad. Definitely hit a 10. Managed to use my walker to get to the bathroom. Went to the kitchen to get an Aleve because honestly, the Tylenol just isn't cutting it. Dozed back off - on my back this time. Woke up around 8:00 feeling all achy in the whole left leg.

I know it's early and probably what I'm going through is normal, but I need to put my mind at ease that there's not something else at play. I'll report back after the doc visit.
 
((hug)) let us know!
 
@DaisyDuck .
Yikes, I am so sorry to read you're having such super Pains in your hip, knee, hamstrings & thigh stemming from sleeping on your "side of your good hip". Add nausea to the #10 pain must have you really feeling so awful. What a horrible end of your 1 month recovery day. My heart feels for you to feel better.
If you had surgeon appointment today, I hope you were given sound medical advice, so it won't happen again so badly. Did O.S. think the side sleeping did cause the pains to suddenly worsen so much??? Any good suggestions? Did O.S. say when it's safe to sleep on your side, with pillows support?
I will be thinking about you until I read your next post explaining what caused this severe pain. Hopefully. You'll Sleep better tonight.

2nd Hippy
 
Hi Hippy. This morning was when I woke up with the intense pain (3:45 a.m.).

Called the doctor's office. They can't see me until tomorrow 10:45. (CST) So haven't been to the doctor appointment yet.

The thing is, last night was not the first time I fell asleep on my side (with the pillow between my legs). I never before woke up on my side in that kind of pain. Have no idea if I turned or twisted or did something else in my sleep that set off this cascade of OUCH!!!!!!

Will definitely report back after the appointment tomorrow.
 
@DaisyDuck, please try to do NOTHING today, or until your appointment. I know it's boring to just do nothing, but let your body relax all the painful muscles. Rest, Ice & ELEVATE.....Listen to music you enjoy....
Looking forward to hear what your doctor advi
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom