THR It's done (finally)!

Up & walking day after my surgery was with a walker & PT person helping me out of bed & into the bathroom. Then started daily routine of walking (with walker) up & down corridors in hospital.
Once home I continued to do walks around my house with the walker. I was on partial weight bearing from week 6 for one more month. I was able to move onto cane at some point, I know by June of that year I was pretty much walking w/o the cane but kept it in my car & near bed for night time bathroom breaks. It's more important to walk well with an assistive device than limp & be in pain w/o one.
My recovery was much slower than I had anticipated or wanted but I did recover fully.
It's a patience game.
 
Thank you for your reply myglass. Your kind of detail reply puts things into better perspective for me. When I see folks say I was "up and walking" I'm thinking they mean they're walking around normally (no aid, no limp, no heavy duty opioids to dull pain, etc). Well, I guess that's my mistake for assuming that. I also have been up and walking since Day 1 post surgery - but always with a walker. Starting to try the cane (in the house) occasionally. But definitely not ready to fully transition to just a cane. And yes, I realize recovery is a waiting game. I'm certainly not trying to rush things. I actually feel better after seeing everyone's responses regarding "what's your definition of what up and walking means?"
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope the transition to the cane has been a smooth one. Soon you'll be standing / walking on your own and looking forward to getting back to life in full! I hope you have a wonderful week, daisyduck!
@daisyduck0801
 
Thank you Layla :) Starting to use the cane more, but haven't tossed my walker to the side yet. For one thing, I have this basket or rectangular pouch attached to the walker, which is great for transporting a bunch of stuff from room to room! Very convenient!

Still having the odd, assorted aches, numbness, etc but no more excruciating moments of pain (like nerve pain). One thing that is really improving (day by day) is my range of motion. I can lift my surgery leg as high as the "good" leg now getting in and out of the tub, in and out of the car, etc. Don't need the sock helper anymore for donning socks or pulling on pants. (And there's no pain doing any of those things).

I had a 2nd opinion not that long ago from another surgeon (felt like the PA for my OS wasn't really listening to a concern I had). The 2nd opinion doc confirmed that the implant itself is sitting very nicely in its place so no problems there.

But I wanted another thought on a spot - on the outside of the hip - that seems to have become, literally, a thorn in my side. It's not present 100% of the time. But it's there a lot. And the intensity of discomfort varies. Possibilities like bursitis, gluteal tendonitis, etc were mentioned. This thing on the outer hip is what is preventing me from using the cane more, or just trying to take steps without anything. (Could it be just regular healing? I know I'm still early days in recovery).

Crazy thing though. Shortly after that 2nd opinion visit, I did a PT session (easy, not long or intense) and the pain disappeared, as in completely. But after a few days it made its way back. So...got a 2nd session today with this same PT and I'm very curious to see if that outer hip thing will subside again. It's been 5 days since the last PT session.
I might try to start doing PT a couple of times a week if it helps this outer hip discomfort. We'll see.

Sleep is still not back to normal but I'm managing. And still resting, icing when my body tells me to. It's getting there.
 
(Could it be just regular healing? I know I'm still early days in recovery).

Crazy thing though. Shortly after that 2nd opinion visit, I did a PT session (easy, not long or intense) and the pain disappeared, as in completely. But after a few days it made its way back. So...got a 2nd session today with this same PT and I'm very curious to see if that outer hip thing will subside again. It's been 5 days since the last PT session.
I might try to start doing PT a couple of times a week if it helps this outer hip discomfort. We'll see.
Could be!
Talk to the PT about it today and share how it disappeared after the last session, and then returned and see what she / he has to say. Maybe some gentle stretching or massage for the IT Band area? Hopefully you have the same result after todays session, but this time it lasts. :fingersx:

Thanks for the update. Wishing you a good PT session!
 
@daisyduck0801
Since your last P.T. eased your pain for a few days, sounds similar to how my P.T. sessions help me. I've established "ground rules" with my P.T. since 2017, for my 1st THR, so it's "slow & simple stretching, massaging the sore muscles, & easily doable exercises to practice at home between twice weekly sessions. It's definitely decreased my pain.
Now if I could just WALK better with the cane!!!! Not happening yet.
You've got this, DaisyDuck !
 
Ok. Update. No such luck with the PT session 2 days ago (Monday). I mentioned to the PT how much better my outer hip felt after the session last week. Glad to hear it. So I guess he figured I was ready to take on a new machine. Something that basically had me doing bent knee leg lifts, but with weights. As usual it didn't hurt doing the exercises, but...later that night :gaah: Ugh. Here we go again. Pain is back in the outer hip. Pain in new places, like the lower butt on the outside, the groin. It's 2 days later and I'm still icing a bunch more, resting, etc. Had a session scheduled for tomorrow. Cancelled it. Was able to use the cane for a little while around the house this morning but had to stop and get back on the walker because of the hip and new butt and groin pain.
 
As usual it didn't hurt doing the exercises, but...later that night :gaah: Ugh. Here we go again.
Please do remember this -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.
I hope you find relief soon, daisyduck. I am sorry you're hurting. :console2:
 
Hi Layla. I have been following BS long enough to know that PT isn't really necessary, especially for healing. I wasn't giving PT another shot for healing. It was more for muscle balance. Wanting to be sure that my surgery side muscles didn't start to atrophy for lack of use. But I guess maybe it's still too soon, especially for the more strenuous stuff. I have more or less continued to do the 6 gentle exercises that the hospital sent me home with on a daily basis. They have never bothered me or caused me any pain or discomfort at all. So for the time being I will continue to stick with those.
 
Hi there everyone

Its been around 3.5 weeks since my THR. I'm home now after spending 10 days in a private Australian hospital. I expected to be out much sooner than that so i could get on with my physio. In hindsight it was probably better that I stay in hospital longer and get twice daily rehab before i went home.

I'm not sure what I expected, but its sure a slow healing and strengthening process. I've gone from a walker a home to crutches and the last two days ive been using one crutch only which is actually easier for me as i dont feel like im going to trip myself over by using them both.

I'm basically home by myself 95% of the time and this is the only support network ive really found. Time is going so slow, especially of course because Im not allowed to drive yet and I'm stuck inside most of the day. Climbing the walls so to speak. All the things i'd planned to do during recovery im not interested in doing.
The reason i think is because its so HOT here, day after day and hot nights, so i have to stay inside for air conditioning.

Yesteday my physio said he was pleased with my progress at just over 3.5 weeks, however im not so sure. I guess i expected id heal much quicker. Frustrating i suppose I just need to be more patient.

By 3-4 weeks post op is there an average of what most people should be doing?
Also I had a phone appt with my Doctor before as i couldnt get a lift in to see him. I needed him to have a look my posterior wound, so all i could do was send him a photo. I'm a bit concerned, as although the wound looks like its healing well, there is obvious redness for a couple of inches surrounding it. It doesnt look or feel like there's an infection, and im hoping its just a type of bruising. Dr has my butt photo now, so i guess if he doesnt like the look of things he'll phone me and want to see me.

Did anyone else get redness around wound a few weeks after surgery? I'm not sure whats normal and whats not.
Any advice or information much appreciated!
 
Ladybird,
You should start your own recovery thread but I will answer you here.
This is a fairly long & slow recovery for many of us.
I'll be 3 years post op on Sunday & I certainly wasn't prepared for the length of time it took for me to feel normal again. It's a "patience" game as well as learning to listen to your body which will come in time. You do not need PT this early in the game. Walking is best. In between rest & ice. If it hurts don't do it. I'd make a loose plan for the day & if the hip said "no way" then I would rest for an hour with an ice pack & majority of times this was the answer.
 
Hi Ladybird. Just for some perspective. I am 9 weeks out from my left THR (anterior approach). I still use my walker for the most part to get around, although I have started testing the waters using a cane. If I start feeling achiness or pain with the cane...back to the walker - and ice (with my feet up, on my recliner). But my range of motion is exceptional. So I am encouraged. You're very early on in recovery. Sounds like you need to slow down a bit. I'm learning (sometimes the hard way) that recovery from this particular surgery takes time!

Glad you've reached out to your doc about the redness around your incision. If there's no other symptoms everything is most likely ok. But for your peace of mind, it was the right thing to do. The skin close to my incision (fully healed now) isn't % a uniform color. I do have some lumpiness underneath and next to the scar which I was told is scar tissue. I apply moist heat and gentle massage daily for that. It is sloooowly dissipating. There's that word again: slow.

Best of luck to you and please let us know what the doc says about your redness.
.
 
@ladybird22
Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. You're going through a lot with your recovery and I'm sure many here would love to support you as you've noticed. You will get more personalized advice and encouragement by starting your own thread. We ask that you please do that without further communication here on daisyducks0801's thread since it goes against forum protocol. Thank you for your understanding and best wishes only as you continue your healing journey. I hope to be able to support you on your own thread soon. :)
 
@ladybird22 … I encourage you to read our Guidelines for Posting. You are currently registered as a Basic Member in BoneSmart. As a Basic Member, you are free to use our search tool to find threads to read throughout the forum, to read any threads that you like, and to post on existing threads as long as your posts are on topic for the thread. The post you made on this thread is not on topic as it concerns your own recovery and questions specific to you. This tends to start a new conversation in someone else’s recovery journey is not fair to them.

Starting a new thread, journaling your own recovery, and receiving personalized information and guidance related to your situation is part of the Insiders Club membership and I recommend that you consider joining so you can receive all the support you’re looking for. Our membership page has a link to see the various subscription opportunities available.
 
Hello all fellow hippies! Today makes 3 months since my left THR. The last I posted was almost a month ago...and wowee! What a difference (about) a month makes.

Before my progress report though, I wanted to say that I haven't been on BS hardly because...wait for it... on February 17 my 89 year old mother fell - and broke her hip. OMG! Unbelievable right? So in addition to dealing with my own recovery I've been immersed in my mother's care. Luckily I have 2 siblings that are also involved, but it's still a lot. Mom had some complications after surgery but is on the mend and will be released from hospital later this week. She'll be going to live with my brother and his wife upon release.

I am happy to report that I finally ditched my walker about a month ago. I transitioned to a crutch first - the kind that has a handle and a place to rest your arm/elbow against. Very comfortable. Sometimes I use the cane. Also, when in the kitchen and the bathroom I've started with a little bit (baby steps) of walking with no aid. Not quite ready to go full on walking with no aid because there is still a very slight limp. Still have intermittent soreness (no more excruciating pain) and discomfort that pops up here, then pops up there. Depends upon how much I was on my feet on any given day.

The only place where I still have consistent tenderness and numbness is the outer thigh. But it's pretty much the whole outer thigh, a huge swath. The lump under the scar continues to shrink, and I still do warm compresses and massage in that area. Oh, and still getting those nerve zingers, which I know, is a good thing since it signifies nerves coming back online.

Sleep was getting back into a nice rhythm until my mom's fall. So I'm taking it day by day now as far as sleep goes. My Tylenol use is down to maybe once or twice a week. Same with icing. I find that if I overdo it, most of the time just getting off my feet and kicking back in the recliner makes things better.

So, all in all, things have definitely improved since a month ago. Early on I didn't think I would ever be able to say that. Finally picked up my new puppy today. Was supposed to get her months ago but delayed it because of my surgery and subsequent recovery. She is a 5 month old mini Schnauzer and the most adorable spunk meister! So nice having something else to think about other than my hip/leg.

Things are crazy right now but I'll check back in at 4 months post op. Happy St. Patty's Day everyone!
 
Thank you for the update. I'm sorry about your mom! But your own recovery seems right on track.
 
Great update other than Mom's fall!
Congrats on new puppy, nothing like a dog to steal your heart.
 
Hi all! I'm a few days late in posting at my 4 months post op anniversary. (April 10 made 4 months).

SInce my last post (March 10) I feel like I've regressed a bit. But I know now (from bonesmart) that can be normal. So I'm not freaking out about it. And, can't believe that I am just now considering this, but could my regression be due to - at least in part - due to me overdoing it with a very feisty, active puppy? I'm not running around with her or anything like that. But I am spending more time in the backyard, doing different things with her - fetch, training, etc. I guess I lose track of time and movement, and then I'm all sore.

The 2 biggest things I'm dealing with right now as far as recovery goes are: the outer thigh is still numb and/or very uncomfortable to the touch. Getting zapping, stinging nerve pain fairly often. Not enough to warrant taking anything, but am icing again regularly.

The other thing is I'm pretty sure I've developed bursitis - which I absolutely did not have pre surgery. Ugh. My surgeon's PA suggested that I had it at my last visit. (He offered an injection but I declined. Heard from too many people that the injection provides very little, short lived relief.) And from all my own research my symptoms seem to indicate bursitis. During my research I found an Australian PT on YouTube that specializes in trochanteric bursitis, tendonitis, etc. I started her program and it has been helping. But it requires constant vigilance in certain postures (how you're standing, sitting, etc) and there are strengthening exercises to do that help build some of the glute muscles to support that area of the hip.

Good news is that the leg length difference i felt I had is much diminished. Feels more even now. Still using a cane out in public at all times. Inside, walking without an aide only intermittently, especially since getting the puppy.

I do have one question for others: the nerve pain - especially tenderness on the outer thigh...I know still having that at 4 months post op is normal. But when is it not normal? At about what point should I expect that to be resolved? Or is it possible that on certain spots it never resolves?

Thanks! :SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom