THR It's done (finally)!

I think any bruising very soon after surgery is usually a result of us being moved about during surgery and this manifests as bruising and it's part of the process. I honestly wouldn't worry. Also with driving, I was told it's up to how each individual feels but you must be off opioids and heavy pain meds first! :heehee:
 
I think any bruising very soon after surgery is usually a result of us being moved about during surgery and this manifests as bruising and it's part of the process. I honestly wouldn't worry. Also with driving, I was told it's up to how each individual feels but you must be off opioids and heavy pain meds first! :heehee:
Oh I agree, I had some bruises after surgery that were due to manipulation on the operating table. I am glad I was sedated. :)
 
I plan on playing the driving thing by ear (or leg, I should say). I guess at the pre-surgery consult, when I was told that I'd be cleared to drive at 2 weeks post-op, I walked away with the impression that healing/recovery was gonna be not a huge deal. Silly me, huh?

I do feel lucky in that I have had small bits of progress here and there and praying for no complications. But I can tell that where I am right now, at this moment, that in 4 days time there is absolutely no way that I will be MENTALLY ready to drive. Even if I am able to climb into my vehicle and be comfortable in the driver's seat, I have the thought now of "what if I start with some kind of zinger pain somewhere along the leg while I'm driving? Would I react in a manner that keeps me - and others - safe?" Nah. Not ready to take that chance. So I decided to table the thought of driving for now. Will revisit the issue in another couple of weeks.
 
I think this is a wise decision, @daisyduck0801. I had similar concerns to yours: What might happen in an emergency? What if I have to slam on the brakes? What if my leg cramps suddenly?

With my right hip, my surgeon cleared me to drive at 6 weeks post-op, but I just didn't feel ready. I waited another couple of weeks. Then, I had my husband drive me to an empty parking lot where I could "practice" things like emergency braking until I felt confident.

There is no hurry to get back behind the wheel. You will know when you're ready. :flwrysmile:
 
I can't exactly remember when I started to drive again but it was probably couple months or maybe more after my surgery. Because it was right side I had to be sure I could apply brake when needed. We live in a small neighborhood that goes around in a circle so one afternoon I just went & sat in my car & went around the block. Gained some confidence.
And you can place a plastic trash bag on your seat, sit on front seat with both legs outside the car then swing your body into face the steering wheel. Makes it easier.
Take your time, no rush to drive.
 
AHA, THANKS FOR the garbage bag put on seat in car!!! I'm on day11, so NOT driving. But, even getting into passenger seat for doctor appt. Yesterday took me 15 minutes. I will try the garbage bag next car ride.
 
Update on 2 things...and one of 'em ain't good.

First, I was able to get into the driver's seat of my vehicle (mid size SUV), but just barely. Myglass, the "swing around" method for entering a vehicle that you describe is exactly how I've been entering my car for years. That method takes away pain in the groin area (which, of course, is a symptom of hip issues). But I still had to use my leg lifter to lift my left (bad) leg up and swing it into the car. Can't really bend the leg much at this point. Didn't feel too bad sitting in the driver's seat but all I did was turn on the engine and let it run a few minutes.

Ok, now for the "ain't good" ...and I am furious with myself for this one. :headbang:
Against my better judgement, I allowed my husband and daughter (she is an occupational therapist) to talk me into keeping my first real physical therapy appt after surgery. (After joining BoneSmart and becoming familiar with its guidelines I saw the wisdom in maybe holding off on PT, at least in the very beginning of recovery).
That appt was yesterday and it was 45 minutes long. Nothing I did was particularly painful or harsh - at least it didn't seem like it.

But last night and today! Whew!!!! :hairpulling: I'm feeling pain in places where I didn't even have pain in the days following surgery. I felt better 3 days after surgery than I do now. And I am concerned that I seriously messed up something. I have my first post op visit with the surgeon on Monday. Obviously, I will be informing them that no way, no how am I continuing with any form of PT for the time being. And I'm doing what I can - icing non-stop, elevation, etc but so far, not very much relief.
 
Hi @daisyduck0801

I stopped my exercises early on and at 6 weeks I am totally fine and get plenty of exercise through walking only.

I also was feeling pain ( I was doing light squats) and I felt so much better after i stopped.

You will be fine.
 
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement Morgan. I'm chalking this up to "lesson learned" category.

And, I'm gonna say this, not to be harsh, but I think this little setback was evidence to my dear loved ones (husband and daughter) that they need to back off the tiniest bit and trust MY instincts as regards what is the best way for me to move forward through my recovery. (Silver lining in this cloud).
 
You are in charge of your body & your recovery. You had THR, they didn't.
They mean well but majority of people that never had the surgery think it's a cake walk...well we know it isn't.
 
It is so easy to succumb to pressure from those we love and trust, right? I am sorry you're struggling right now, daisyduck. It sounds like you officially joined the ODIC. :console2:

In recovery, if feeling under pressure by well meaning loved ones, try not to lose sight of the fact that it is your body, you endured the controlled trauma of this surgery and only you will suffer the physical effects of overly aggressive PT, or the result of trying to meet overly ambitious or unrealistic personal goals.

Each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to "find what works best for YOU."

Keep in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

I hope your stint in the ODIC is a short one. Rest, Ice and Elevate so you're able to enjoy Christmas in three days.
Wishing you the merriest! :carols: :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
@daisyduck0801
 
And I am concerned that I seriously messed up something
Doubtful, truly. You likely aggravated healing soft tissue, that's all. Not to minimize the pain you're dealing with, but please try not to worry.
 
I will try the garbage bag next car ride.
Works like a charm ladies. You can also use a bag to sit on in bed, to maneuver yourself away from the edge of the bed toward the middle. Removes any friction between comfy clothes and bedding. :wink:
 
You just experienced what we all have, that the pain doesn't happen while you're doing the exercise. If you go with the I'll stop when it hurts method you'll really find what an overdid is like. All of us are amazed at the post activity pain in the early stages of recovery, some of us are smart enough to learn quick but I'm not one of them. It took me a few before I got the message. Learn from our mistakes and say no to PT in early recovery. Read the guidelines to get a realistic timeline of what recovery can be.
 
Oh, rest assured, I will not be making this mistake again. And I won't be succumbing to the pressure of anyone, no matter how well intentioned. The only "positive" about being on this side of the PT mistake (now that it's over and done with) is that I have learned. It will be easy to decline suggestions of PT because I can truly say that I tried it and not only did it NOT do anything to help, I regressed after trying it.

After staying off of my feet most of the weekend (along with the usual ice, elevate) things are better. Will be sure to let my doc know tomorrow at the post op visit what happened to me after I did the PT on Friday.

Thanks for all of your words of wisdom. It truly helps. :yes:
 
People that love us want to 'fix' us but it is often misplaced. I had to be firm with some friends who offered me use of their gym and personal trainer, and another wanted to plan my walks. I explained I am not in training, I am in recovery. Fortunately, the personal trainer was totally supportive of my method of 'slowly does it'.

I dropped the exercises after reading here and, at almost 2 months, recovery is pain free and moving forward. I still get tired easily. Though currently I am staying with family and my three grandchildren aged 6, 3 and 18months, so it might just be child-exhaustion. :loll:
 
So...had my 2 week post op today. All is well and normal.

But things got interesting when the subject of PT came up. The person I met with today was my surgeon's physician assistant. I told him about the miserable weekend I had after a 45 minute therapy session on Friday. He acknowledged that maybe I was pushed to do too much too soon but was firm that not doing PT now could result in scar tissue that would severely interfere with my range of motion in the future. I didn't want to get confrontational with the PA, so we finished up the visit. But, the surgeon (himself) told me in the hospital that PT was good to "try." And if I had issues with it, well, then, the most important thing is to walk. A little disconcerting to me that 2 members of the same surgical team are saying things to patients that don't align.
 
Many PTs and PAs in the USA for some reason are terrified that all human beings that come to them post op are doomed to grow abnormal "scar tissue" - which is absurd on the face of it!

A layer of superficial subcutaneous scar tissue right under and adjacent to the incision is part of the normal healing process. Just as with the external scar, over time it becomes thinner and pliable.

Adhesions are abnormal growths of thick bands of fibrous tissue that some people - most certainly not most of us! - have an innate tendency to develop after abdominal, orthopedic, or other surgeries. It generally takes them quite a while to start growing and to eventually cause problems.

@daisyduck0801
 
Last edited:
So...had my 2 week post op today. All is well and normal.

But things got interesting when the subject of PT came up. The person I met with today was my surgeon's physician assistant. I told him about the miserable weekend I had after a 45 minute therapy session on Friday. He acknowledged that maybe I was pushed to do too much too soon but was firm that not doing PT now could result in scar tissue that would severely interfere with my range of motion in the future. I didn't want to get confrontational with the PA, so we finished up the visit. But, the surgeon (himself) told me in the hospital that PT was good to "try." And if I had issues with it, well, then, the most important thing is to walk. A little disconcerting to me that 2 members of the same surgical team are saying things to patients that don't align.
Give a man a hammer.....

They want to use their skills and believe their way is best. I would listen to the surgeon and your own body.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom