Guest viewing is limited

It's Done - 4 days post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at 3 weeks after BTKR and my flexion in left knee is at 108 and right knee is 98. I'm feeling pretty good about that, and my PT mentioned the bike on Thursday. I didn't know going into this that using a stationary bike would be helpful (I guess it never crossed my mind), and I don't have one. I think we're going to start using the bike this coming week. I'm wondering if I should try to borrow one to use during this rehab time.

jeauix - I'm really surprised that you've been able to be back at your teaching job so soon! I won't be going back until 9/12, which would be just over 5 weeks, and then I'm only going back 1/2 time. I don't know where you're finding your stamina?!?! Good for you! I'm actually a little scared to go back - worrying that I'll not make it through the day. :frown:

I hope you continue to have good days at school. It's sooooo hard to miss the beginning of school!
 
Welcome. I am glad you are doing well. As everyone has already said rest,elevate, and medicate. Healing takes some time. Not overdoing is important. You will know if you overdo. Best wishes for a good day.:sleepz:
 
A stationary bike is wonderful for rehab and, if it's easy for you to borrow one, I'd do it.
 
How's it going, jeauix?
 
I returned to meetings on Monday prior to starting school on Thursday. I have 3 days off before going back on Tuesday. I am a looping teacher which means I have 90% of my students from last year and they went through crutches, arthroscopic surgery, etc. with me last April. Although I am tired at the end of the day, I am elevating, icing, etc. My students are well-behaved and eager to help in any way.

The first of the year I am always exhausted, so it isn't much different then any other year :) My colleagues are helping me by making extra copies and that along with the use of a mobility chair when I do get tired or have to go up and down the stairs have made for an easy return.

There is more swelling at the end of the day because I am out of bed and the recliner much more. I will not be working more than 3 days for the next 3 weeks and not consecutive days until the 9 week mark. I am continuing to work on pedaling and ROM. I don't have "pain" at all like I used to. Stiffness...yes, but I am trying to vary sitting/standing and walking, but I sure don't have that stabbing pain I used to and because of that I don't need much in the way of pain meds. I take one before bed and am not getting up. Last night I slept 11 hours without getting up or waking up at all. I think at almost 6 weeks I have turned the corner. Woo Hoo! Thanks for asking, Kneeper! Hope you are also making gains :)
 
Jeauix ~ What an encouraging post! Thank you!


I was back in my classroom for a couple of hours on Friday, and will stop in again on Wednesday. Then, next week (9/12) will be back for the mornings, and the following week, all day. I'm a little nervous about getting back into the fulltime swing, especially the "tired" part. I'm not sleeping through the night, which makes it difficult to function during the day. And, I'm still in need of pain meds. I go to bed around 10:00, and then usually wake up relatively early (2:00, 3:00 etc.) and can't go back to sleep. This morning, I actually slept until 5:50 AM - a record. I hope this is the start of a new trend! I'm encouraged that you slept 11 hours - wow - that would be amazing!

I'm waiting for the turn the corner moment that everyone talks about. I know I've already turned some corners, but definitely waiting for the next one! Congrats on your fairly seamless re-entry into teaching and living! :yay:
 
Jeauix ~ What an encouraging post! Thank you!


I was back in my classroom for a couple of hours on Friday, and will stop in again on Wednesday. Then, next week (9/12) will be back for the mornings, and the following week, all day. I'm a little nervous about getting back into the fulltime swing, especially the "tired" part. I'm not sleeping through the night, which makes it difficult to function during the day. And, I'm still in need of pain meds. I go to bed around 10:00, and then usually wake up relatively early (2:00, 3:00 etc.) and can't go back to sleep. This morning, I actually slept until 5:50 AM - a record. I hope this is the start of a new trend! I'm encouraged that you slept 11 hours - wow - that would be amazing!

I'm waiting for the turn the corner moment that everyone talks about. I know I've already turned some corners, but definitely waiting for the next one! Congrats on your fairly seamless re-entry into teaching and living! :yay:

I know you had your TKR the same day I did...(me Aug 4)and I too am waiting to "turn the corner" as well. Today I had a plot of pain in the groin area near inner thigh ...get that frequently, PT says there are nerves that run from knee all the way up, lots of things attached to one another. To turn the corner will indeed be a blessing.
 
7 weeks post op as of today :dancy:and I am continuing to make good progress. I started driving this weekend and drove myself to school on Monday. This is my 2 1/2 week mark of returning to the classroom but on an every other day schedule. So far it is has worked great as long as I ice and elevate at lunch, and combine, sitting and walking. I am also wearing a thigh-high TED (compression stocking) during the work day and it has helped with the swelling, while making the knee feel more stable. One more week of the part-time schedule before trying to go back full-time.

One thing that I am now convinced has helped me is the therapeutic massage theray I have had. My therapist came to the hospital after TKR and did the first treatment. I have continued seeing her 1-2 times a week since then. She has really helped with the tightness and circulation. Today after therapy I came home and had my husband measure flexion with the goniometer. After weeks of going between 95-110 degrees, I reached 115 degrees. :thumb: I knew after I left massage therapy that it felt so much less restricted. May not work for everyone, but it has made a difference for me. ROM is still coming along and I am thrilled!

I'm down to one Vicodin before bedtime and am sleeping straight through the night at least 8 hours. I am still stretching, use the pedal exerciser, and just living a normal life (except for getting up and down off the floor. Jo, there is something to be said for not forcing P.T. and giving the tissue time to heal. I'm a believer in the U.K. practice :) I'm sure there will still be set-backs, but for those in the same boat, it is definitely getting better each day.
 
Thanks for the update, sounds like you are doing great.

Today was not a good day for me, lots of pain below my knee and around it, iced and elevated, took it easy, took a 5 min. Walk around the block and iced and elevated for another hour.

Waiting for the day when I have little or no pain.
 
Excellent report!!! So glad to hear you're doing so well.
 
Home yesterday after RTKR on Monday. I must say that things happened pretty much the same as the Bone Smart forum members have posted. I went in around 9:45 am and there was a delay because the knee ahead of me took more time than expected. IV was started with the antibiotic without any problem. Finally saw the anesthesiologist about 12:00 noon and mentioned I was concerned about the spinal. He reassured me that it would be quick, the numbing agent injection prior to the spinal is what I would feel. They wheeled me in and gave me the shot. It was, as many here have said a "non event." They also told me that they would give me a light general anesthesia. That was the last thing I remember until I got to my room.

I did have a lot of nausea and vomiting (more than I wanted) which confused me since the spinal was supposed to be minimizing that. My husband told me later that the spinal worked on the pain but it did not de-activate the muscles. Because the muscles continued to be active a full general was used although the spinal had been given.

Overall, my care was excellent. I had a catheter which was left in for 2 1/2 days then it was removed and I used the bedside commode and/or the commode depending on my pain level when walking. The nurses were good about getting me meds (except 1 was more than an hour late as there was a floor emergency.

I attended coumadin class, P.T. started me walking and doing new exercises, and O.T. helped with general care. I was shocked at the level of pain when I got up the first time and during subsequent walks. I am trying to catch the pain before it gets out of contol and that has helped. P.T. tested my flexion and I left the hospital at 60 degrees. My second hospital Physical Therapist was the last person I saw at the hospital and I could have done without her attitude. The previous P.T. pointed out all that I was doing correct but the second P.T. had only criticism from the type of walker I chose, to body position, how I planted a foot, that I looked funny when I walked and I needed to walk smoother. I was in pain and so uncomfortable by the time I got home, and I had a unexpected crying jag :tantrum2:because of her. I won't let them get to me again...constructive criticism is okay, nit-picking is not.

I had my first outpatient P.T. and coumadin testing this afternoon. My therapist has high expectations but they don't seem unreasonable. She also encouraged me to take the meds before P.T. and especially when the pain was building. We have a mountain to climb but I believe she will have some humanity, too!

That's all for now! I thank all of you again for posting your experience. I felt so much more knowledgeable going into it.


Sandi

Hi Sandi. My name is Martha and I had my LTKR on August 16th. The emotional rollercoaster was a bit of surprise to me but I found out it is very typical. After major surgery and meds, it's bound to happen. You will start feeling more hopeful but look at your recovery in weeks instead of days. I'm feeling much better and my range of motion is coming along. Pain meds are part of your recovery so utilize them. Hope you feel better soon. Martha
 
Jeauix ~

It's good to hear that things are going well with you! I too, have returned to teaching on a part-time basis, though mine is half days this week, and then full days starting next week. I am very tired when I get home, and rest for about 45 minutes, while I'm icing and elevating. :sleepz:

I'm hoping to be able to return to therapeutic massage after my OS 6 week visit tomorrow. I hope he will be taking me off of Coumadin (I have a history of blood clot). My therapist won't work on anyone who is taking Coumadin, so it's been about 8 weeks since my last massage. I'm really ready! I'm glad it's worked so well for you - hoping for the same results for me! :wink2:

I hope you continue to progress with you ROM! :yay:
 
KneedKnees,

I hope work return is going okay and that you can soon return to massage. I think all teaches deserve at least one massage a week:biggrin: free of charge. Hope all goes well with getting off the Coumadin. I was so happy when I had my last blood draw. I celebrated with frozen yogurt!
 
I'm off the Coumadin, and waited the prerequesite 4 days, and will schedule a massage! Yippee! My massage should be scheduled for early next week - can't wait! :yahoo:
 
Great news, KneedKnees! I'll be curious if it helps you like it has me! Let me know how it goes. I see my surgeon today for 2 mo. check up. I am hoping for a good report and the end to the 3 days a week work schedule. It is so hard to 1) do extensive plans for a substitute, and 2) return after a substitute. When will you be going back full-time or are you already back?
 
Just returned from seeing surgeon for my 8 week check after RTKR. My ROM fluctuates between 120-130 flexion depending on what I do on that particular day. I think he was a bit surprised at the gains I have made in 3 weeks. He "cut me loose" without any restrictions in work, activity and unless I have any problems I won't see him until 1 year from surgery. He reviewed the need for antibiotics before dental work, and basically said to let my body be my guide.

No chastisement for not going to P.T. after 4 visits or anything. When I first read Jo's response about the difference between U.S. and U.K. view of P.T. my first response was "no way." After getting pushed to pain nd tears on the 3rd and 4th P.T. visit, I finally listened. I did the gentle exercises at home occasionally but mostly, I just let my knee heal. Thanks Jo!

The people on Bone Smart know what they are talking about, so rely on their posts. There is light at the end of the tunnel! I know I have to regain strength and muscle now and I'm not 100% of pre-injury status but I'm on may way. Thank you all for your questions and your posts on so many subjects. It has made a difference!
 
You are more than welcome, honey! I'm no miracle worker, just possessed of a fair amount of common sense and a care for others to see them succeed without suffering. And you did it in spades! You worked the miracle! Well done! :yes 4:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom