Guest viewing is limited

MUA It's been a long time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo, I understand the records needing to go to next doctor, but Natalie paid to have her scans and records sent to her house over a month ago! I mean come on, all the records before the visit w Dr. Porter should already be in Natalie's hands! I don't care if she was a case study or not! That's what copiers are for and cd drives to make copies of scans. :headbang: Sorry Jo, but if it were me, and I had paid the money only to not see them come, I would have found myself on the phone, then in any transport necessary to get them. Nat is getting the run around; someone mentioned something about patient advocate. What about them helping clear up this mess? :umm:
 
Natalie, you also mentioned that Martyn said he would send you to London again. Which hospital was that and whom did you see?
 
Natalie,
Josephine is so right. He made the offer to get you to Dr Maale, find out ALL that that entails and take him up on it. Lie Jo says he just wants to not be shown up by someone else and I woudl not mess around with the second Dr if he was not an SC specialist, most probably you will hear the same old same old story, after all they are colleagues and as others have said you need to see someone not in any relation to the original DR.
 
Natalie, I can just see the whirl wind over your head right now, almost like a tornado. However, you got some very good advice above, on both sides of the argument, but Jo hit the nail on the head when she said the new doctor that he wants you to see is NOT an SC specialist either, which would net you the same outcome and a waste of time with more pain for you and more turmoil for your family.
I so which you the best and please do what you know deep in your heart, what you have to do, you are a survivor, you have a beautiful family that need you to go forward, not give up!

Stay strong and stay positive my friend, we all know you can do it! :friends:
 
Nice idea, Margaret, but I think it would only muddle the issue right now and besides, I doubt any of them would really understand what this is all about not to mention the time in getting them on board. They are usually swamped with requests for help.
 
Ok, so the question is Jo, will Nat still be supported by. Mr. Porter if she refuses to see his colleague? The way it sounded was, she could have everything, and his support, but see this one last consultant first. Am I missing something?
 
Jo, I understand the records needing to go to next doctor, but Natalie paid to have her scans and records sent to her house over a month ago!
Well, that's the difference between our two great nations. You may have ownership of your notes and records when you have paid for them thoug I bet you pay more than $15. We pay is just a nominal £10 administration fee for the copying of them not for the records themselves, probably a bit more for photocopying paperwork like 10p a sheet or something. On my xray cd-roms, it says quite clearly that the contents of the cd and the copyright thereof still remain the property of City Hospitals Sunderland. I would imagine the same will be for Natalie (except for the name, of course!). So she has no empirical 'right' to them, only to see them and have copies made which they will do just as soon as the doctors allow the medical records department staff to get their hands on them for long enough!

Remember before when the notes/xrays/whatever were stuck in an office with a big note saying not to be removed? It's that kind of thing. Medical records will quite likely need at least four days to get everything copied, probably more as quite likely her notes are like a triple copy of War and Peace in A3 form right now! They have to be gone through carefully and only the relevant items taken out (you don't want endless xray and lab reports from 5 years ago, for instance) for copying and then replaced in order. In a 6" thick pile of papers fastened together with Daisy clips, that's no small task. I'm not trying to make excuses, just explain how things are. I know because I have done this myself and it's an absolute nightmare!
Ok, so the question is Jo, will Nat still be supported by. Mr. Porter if she refuses to see his colleague? The way it sounded was, she could have everything, and his support, but see this one last consultant first. Am I missing something?
As they say, the 60m dollar question. The only way to know is to ask him. I can't see why he would though.
 
I don't know about everyone else here in the States Jo, but when I moved from one town to another last year and started to see new doctors in my new area all I had to do was call all the old doctor's offices and sent a signed release for via email and all my records were sent to my new doctor. That included all my mammogram reports & X-rays, all my medical files that I had with the same doctor for over 30 years, etc. at no cost to me, none! And, I must add I had some pretty thick files. So I don't understand why someone wouldn't be able to get their records, ASAP, it is the person's property, it's their body not the doctors, he got paid to do the job, not to hold a person's records hostage!
Just my take on this! :shrug:
 
Ladies, I know you all mean well and only have Natalie's interests at heart, but I must object to the constant barrage of disrespect being shown towards our health service.Yes it has its problems but in this context I have done my best to explain them. We have a second to none service which is being severely cut on staff numbers while patient numbers are ever on the increase. To ask if we know how to make (expletive removed) copies is an extremely offensive remark. Any more such posts will be deleted.
 
I have all the necessary forms for HIPAA and release of info. Can email them to Natalie if she wants them. Let me know if there is anything that I can do for help with paperwork for the US. RestAssured
 
Point well taken Jo! Thanks for your take on the whole matter, It does put some light on your system and it does help us understand. :thumb: We just get so frustrated when we see a fellow BoneSmartie family member hurt so much. Brings us all to tears. :boohoo:
 
Hello my friends~I don't understand the thing about the records. Radiology or dr's office just sticks a CD in the computer and copies the xrays, MRI's, op report, labs and whatever else you have. You never take your original records anywhere or transfer that between dr's. One doctor just emails or mails the CD to the consulting physician. Here you either leave radiology with a copy of your study or get it from the hospital record department. They do it on the spot over here or if you call they will mail it to you. Doesn't Great Britain have everything on-line yet? That's just a shame this is such a struggle. Poor Natalie I wish we lived closer so one of us could do this foot work for you. So hard to do these things when you are disabled. You need some time to rest and repair. Our hearts are with you.
 
You may have ownership of your notes and records when you have paid for them though I bet you pay more than $15.

As an FYI, for interest and not meant as disrespect, no, I have never paid any money for copies of my medical records. And I have quite the stack. I have followed the process I described above and have them either before I leave my appt or within 5 business days.

The request form does say, sometimes, they have the right to charge for them but they have never done so. As one records person explained, it is there for those patients who request the same records over and over.

If you meant we pay to see the dr, yes, I do have a small co-pay to visit the dr.
 
Don't they know how to make blooming copies there???
No dosent man anything different over here. Dont see what the confusion is all about. Nice to see that everyone is concerned about Natalie tho and I hope shes ok. Shes been very quiet today.
 
Ladies, I know you all mean well and only have Natalie's interests at heart, but I must object to the constant barrage of disrespect being shown towards our health service.Yes it has its problems but in this context I have done my best to explain them. We have a second to none service which is being severely cut on staff numbers while patient numbers are ever on the increase. To ask if we know how to make (expletive removed) copies is an extremely offensive remark. Any more such posts will be deleted.
Jo, we meant no disrespect. We simply did not understand how the system works in your country verses ours. I think that is why our frustration is at an all time high, because we know, we can have copies of scans and copies of our records. The two countries are different in this respect. When they hand me a cd of my knee, it is mine to keep. I have records filed away that are mine. Please don't think this is about bashing the UK. What we "knew" was Nat paid to have her scans and copies mailed to her house. We did not know that she could not keep them. This is a lesson in cultural differences and I do appreciate that you explained it.

Actually Jo, they make my copies for free and most of the time the cd's as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom