THR IT Band Damage (a Mess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JayC, I continue to do it a couple times per day at home for sure....sometimes more.

When I was doing the PT for this, and I think I went about 7 times over a yr ago, I was kinda
concerned "she" was hurting me more, so just didn't know how much one could work on that area,
she was not an IT band specialist, but pretty good generally.... I did a lot of PT trying to save
myself from replacement yrs prior. We do what we feel is right at the times...jam...
 
I did a lot of PT trying to save
myself from replacement yrs prior. We do what we feel is right at the times...jam...
I don't like to think about the amount I spent on PT before my hip was diagnosed. Literally years and years of sessions. Obviously nothing worked - or it only worked temporarily. You are so right - we try everything. In the end I don't regret my THR at all - only that I put it off for so long!
 
I don't think I regret it, I don't have GROIN Pain and no limping, but so many other issues hit me...
Since I've dealt with Fibro since 1999, emotional trauma, my body has been in a state of overall pain
and all I could think about was the surgery trauma...so that fear was ever present... Once I saw the
surgeon in Aug of 2010, I scheduled my surgery for Oct so that was quck to my thinking.

My daughter and other friend remind me of my pain prior to surgery but they don't "feel" my issues now, spinal
stenosis, IT band damage, worse knee and weak ankle...all right sided right hip, so I know that one... I've done
so much "work" in the last 2 yrs with my integrative rheumy and her protocols...and I know NOW that
so much for me has been chronic inflammation...so the new supp I'm taking for inflammation is doing
a good job...I'm never pain free, less pain...but I sleep good so good and wake in no pain, the new supp is helping here I know that.

So, we are all diff with our bodies....
 
"I'm doing a lot of accupressure on this area and it's loosening this tight muscle...

Just to be clear, the IT Band is not a muscle. It is the band of fibrous tissue, shown in white in this image:
 
Thanks Alex, that's a mean looking "band"...I would have to end up with it...I'm not in the
mood to go down to the surgeon's office to try to find out "why"...so I'll keep doing the
acupressure and "maybe' some day, it will feel about normal...jam
 
Hi jam2013

I have merged your two recovery threads into this one, this is your primary thread. Many thanks :)

We prefer to keep your recovery journey in the one thread for context.

[Bonesmart.org] IT Band Damage (a Mess)
​


​
​
 
Hi jam2013 If we realised earlier what damage we were doing to other joints by walking awkwardly, would we have soldiered on with gritted teeth? My TLHR was my first invasive surgery (varicose vein treatment doesn't count!) and I put it off until even oral morphine was not controlling the pain. Now 4 months out, how I wish I had gone earlier.
Keep on with the massage, it does seem to loosen stuff even if it is not very comfortable at the time - no comparison to bone-on-bone pain from the hip joint. Don't forget to rest as well, women seem not to know when to stop until we fall over!
Feel the support from all the other bonesmarties on here - full of good advice and it's free!
Anne
 
4/14 A sort of update, I continue to do the acupressure work and feeling the burning inflammation is subsiding more, thanks anatabloc, I believe...

Reading more on Wiki on IT band, so much of the issues are from sports related stuff and then there is a segment on IT band issues from leg length differentials....ahhhhhh, I had such a HARD TIME 5 mos post op, there were days I was almost crawling, etc...and I know my leg, knee and ankle were all messed up. The leg length issue.

Now with the 1/4" lift in shoe and the anti inflammatory, I'm feeling more human in this area....I may cancel the Rehab D.O. as I think what he would do is a cortisone injection and I could just go down the street to my rheumy for that. She worked with me for 1.5 yrs post op on all my stuff. I'm not anxious to start with a new MD....love being away from docs, I have not seen my rheumy in about 4 months....
 
Hi, I'm waiting to get both knees replaced and I have a very upset IT band. I thought it was a disc problem but PT said IT band. Anyway long story short (it may help you) ....I apply heat and then use a rolling pin on my IT band. When my husband rolls my leg he can actually feel where the tightness is and then he applies more pressure on the spot. HURTS!!!!! I then ice it down. I do this twice a day and it seems to be helping. My problem is caused by limping and I hope it disappears after surgery.
 
Yes this can be very painful and takes time to resolve...
 
Yes, I've heard the rolling pin dealy, I don't own one and I could probably not manuvre it along my side of thigh..and no husband...so what I do is the knuckle acupressure and it's helping but the Band is still quite tight and for sure compared to the other "normal" leg...I keep thinking my IT band issue is from shorter leg from hip surgery...I was thinking it came from surgery when they have you opened up etc and then close you and how that IT band could get so tight, but looking at Wiki, they say leg length thing. I honestly was a HUGE mess 5 mo post op and with spinal stenosis onset, the whole right side was OFF..so I keep working with it...

good luck with the knees, I listen to Dr. Darrow who does Prolo therapy and he says it's the future in medicine, these surgeries unless emergency could be the thing of the past....too many come to him for Prolo from all the pain pre and post replacement....I've had Prolo in my shoulder and it's saving me...
 
jam2013 could you be a dear and out your surgery date in your signature block please, it is a big help :)
 
Poppet, I don't quite understand your request, "out my surgery date" in my signature block.. My sugery date is in my profile, I just don't know where else to go with this....
 
jam2013. Hi, In addition to our instead of a rolling pin you could use a tennis ball while on your side. Place it along the IT band and center on the tennis ball and push down a bit. It's painful but it does seem to loosen it a little each time. MY PT suggested either rolling the pin or pressing into the tennis ball but did not suggest rolling on the ball. I was doing it on a Pilates mat. good luck.
 
Lenora, thanks for the tennis ball idea...I have 3 things on my bed all the time, a sock with 2 tennis balls in that sock that I use on other areas of my body namely back of shoulders, sciatic nerve area and wherever else I feel knots and tightness....so now I'll use the balls on the IT area...I'm having a massage next week with a worker who has down this work and who works on replacement people...So it continues....jam

Oh the other 2 things I have on my bed at all times is a heating pad and Theraband as I do a lot of stretching on my bed....I've been using a theraband for yrs, and at this point I use the dark grey color one for the resistence I need.....
 
jam2013. It's funny but never thought of two tennis balls in a sock. I'll try it since sleeping on my back causes back aches and it hurts to turn onto my side. Really looking forward to feeling better. Thanks.
 
Hi,kneesrus suggested taping my IT band so, at my last PT visit I asked him to give it a go. My PT taped my IT band and I have to say it feels a lot better. He showed me how to do this myself and along with massage, heat and ice this seems to be doing the trick. I have less pain and dragging in my thigh. As I was suffering this for months I guess I will be a while getting it under control but, I hope dealing with this now will help with my recovery post op.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom