THR IT Band Damage (a Mess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading some posts here as I'm new and see so many young people in
comparison to me, I had my replacement at 72, my neighbor at 82.

I've had back issues and OA all my life since 18 but got thru life pretty darn good all
in all, no other surgery but hysterectomy at 40 or so...

Wonder why so many young people needing replacements....My mom lived to 91 and had nasty OA also but back then no replacements as far as I can remember...Just wondering.
 
Hi jam2013 - Why so many young hippies? Well I think part of the reason is they are no longer making patients wait years in pain for this surgery. Old school was wait until you can't bear it anymore so you don't need a revision. But now surgeons are talking about the forever hip. So thank goodness younger patients can now have a quality of life. I got my hip at age 59 and was told I was young for THR. Guess it's a matter of technology on our side!
 
Hi Jam, I have just turned 30 (last sat in fact) and had my THR 4 weeks ago yesterday. I have been fighting for about 10 years (maybe more) to get one, I don't think I could have gone on much more without having it done it was in a terrible state, mine was due to an accident i had when i was little . :)
 
I broke my hip at age 41 ! 6 weeks into recovery today. very thankful for this forum. helped me so much!
 
Right hip at 31 left hip at 33 (6 wks ago). Simple diagnosis of osteoarthritis. No known prior condition no pain no warning until a few months before my 30th birthday. I couldn't imagine what my future would have been if they'd made me wait until my 70s. I was never told to wait - never told I was too young - in fact it all came as a bit of a shock. I think there are plenty of us out there.
 
For me thinking over my life and arthritis first hit me at 18 but I did a full life and PUSHED myself with dancing, working out at the gym for 30 some yrs and long distance walking...I think I was addicted to exercise...BUT never was a runner, maybe that saved me, who knows...

I had many yrs of chiro work and D.O. work and other stuff and so did NOT want any type surgery,, I even had a hard time at 72 doing this, but I guess the GROIN pain must have been bad enough, we forget the pain we had and I sadly have other pain issues since the replacement, but NO GROIN...

I'm a lot like my mom, she never wanted anyone to "open" her body, I can still hear her words over my life with her...I could go on and on with my stories but I'd probably shock people....jam
 
I dont want surgery either, but there again, nor do I want a diseased hip when I can get it replaced with a perfectly functioning new one in little more than an hour and a couple of months post-op inconvienience. I can manage my pain at the moment and yes, I could probably wait a while before until I get it done, but I dont want to manage it. I want a life where I can do what I want, when I want, without having to think about whether I would pay for it with increased pain after or dose myself up with pain-killers before I do it. I have never been told I was too young, but if I had been, then I would have found another surgeon. Maybe one reason why there are so many younger people having joint replacements now is because people are not prepared to put up and shut up anymore.
 
Wonder why so many young people needing replacements....

Hi Jam,

In the year or so that I've been on here in the forum I've learned that there are a variety of issues that bring people to need hip replacement surgery and some of them are from the trauma of an accident in which bones in the leg/pelvis were shattered and reconstructed deteriorating over time, avascular necrosis from different conditions which leads to the die off of the head of the femur, and congenital abnormalities of the femur and or pelvis that are either diagnosed in childhood or later in adulthood when cartilage has deteriorated in the hip socket.

I happen to be in the last category and never imagined that I'd be a candidate for this type of procedure. I experienced a lengthy period of denial that I needed this procedure, which I thought was for "old people." I eventually had to give in to the surgery as the discomfort was wasting my life away. I was, and am, a minimalist much like your mother when it comes to many types of procedures. I am grateful that I could get a hip replacement but certainly not happy about having to have one..... I wish I had had a normal hip that lasted until 72 like you, instead of the recommendation for THR at 42.

Take care,
Cardie
 
TeeEm, I'm glad your surgery is coming up soon because you sound more ready than anyone I've ever heard. Of course, you don't want surgery. Who does? You definitely seem ready to get your life back though. I wish you well. :thumb:
 
Jam I had congenital hip disease, which was only found after a few doctors said my mum was over anxious. Struggled for years, 5 kids, 2 grandweans and a dog who loves big walks. Did all the workout classes, gym swimming. Always active... bus stop out front but would rather walk. Finally admitted pain was too bad. Sat with my hand under my left hip at work, trying to ease pain. Kneeling on the floor crying with pain. Hip replaced 5 weeks ago and it's nothing like before. I finally feel like I'm getting me back. X
Aud
 
Yea for today's replacement hips. I am 55 and am so very glad I could have my left hip replaced. My hip was probably damaged when I was an early teen, and fell 15-20 feet, landing my left foot on a rock. Ankle was sprained, but didn't have a clue that I might have injured my hip.

I will have a grandson in June, and am happy I will be able to play, swim, run, and chase after him, rather than watching him from a wheel chair.

What would my quality of life be if I didn't have my hip replaced? Lot's of pain, limping, avoiding walking any distance, very difficult to participate in my favorite sport--scuba diving, unable to help maintain my elderly parents cabin and boat (both of which I enjoy very much), and feeling handicapped.

To all those people who needed replacement joints in years before they were available, you have my deepest sympathy. I endured a problem hip for just a few years, I can't imagine what you suffered through.

Jeff
 
So many good points and views on this thread. Having a THR at a young age of 34 was not something I ever wanted. I was told 8 years ago that it was so worn from being born with a dislocated hip that it just wore out and there was nothing they could do but a THR. And at the time I also thought that was for "old people" so I went on with life, but when the pain is to much to handle on an everyday basis and gets in the way of you enjoying life I made the decision to get the THR so I can enjoy my life now with my family painfree.
 
Maybe one reason why there are so many younger people having joint replacements now is because people are not prepared to put up and shut up anymore.
:thumb:
 
alexthecat - believe me, Ive had my fair share of denial. I turned down an athroscopy on my opposite knee three years ago because I didnt want surgery and when my hip began to play up last year - probably exacerbated by putting all my weight on it because of my knee - I turned down a THR because I felt I could manage without. The turning point came for me when I went to a friend's wedding late last year. The bride's mother, in her early 70s had had both her hips replaced several years before. She was slim, elegant and bopping around the dance floor in high heels. I'd had to plan what pain killers to take and when before I got there like a military operation, and limped around all night in flat shoes. Thats when I saw the light ! x
 
We all have our stories, it appears...guess in many ways I was fortunate for so long that my hip really gave me no reason for surgery, but back issues have been with me all my life, a good 50 yrs of back OA stuff....

Once I got a surgeon's name, I even dragged my feet 6 months before I made that call. I tried LDN for a good 6 months as some said "it may keep me from hip surgery"....the LDN never worked in my body....I worked so hard to take it....

I've not been without pain for so many yrs, but just have this huge block against surgery....I had a hysterectomy in the early 80's and came out of it with sciatic pain issues which I deal with all these yrs...so my hospital stays are not good, the 2 I had in my life...

So I'm so happy for all who have had good experiences, mine was not what I hoped for...true no groin pain, but so much other pains....jam

Then the thought comes to me, would I have had better outcome with the posterior? I knew Nadda about these surgeries and my OS who studied under Dr. Matta did MOSTLY Anterior, my neighbor had the posterior and had no clue about the anterior as her OS does only posterior...she doesn't deal with half my issues but has her own too.
 
Hi jam2013

I'm 46 and had to have both my hips replaced due to terrible bone on bone pain(osteoarthritis). I wish I had looked after myself a bit more, like you had with all your yoga and fitness, as I often wonder if being a bit fitter would've prolonged both my ops. I'm not overweight or a couch potato. I walk my dog everyday and have a family to look after but it's only now in my 40's that I'm looking at taking up swimming or Pilates. I have two girls and I'm determined that they will both go through life with a positive attitude towards keeping fit.

Regarding the 'other pains', that you feel you've acquired since your op..........Can you elaborate more? You didn't mention when you had your THR. I'm only asking because I too have acquired extra pain issues since my THR which was 3mths ago. Soft tissue problems that sometime feel as bad as the bone on bone pain I had before my op. My rump is still swollen and I can't lie on my operated side. I struggle to get off the loo, walking upstairs is painful and I can't walk for longer than 30mins without all the muscles in my rump having a good old grumble. I was worried for a while that there might be a problem but over time I'm coming to realise that I'm a very slow healer. Patience is going to be the key for me. I'm taking everyday as it comes. I'm doing the exercises I've been given and I notice small changes every week.
Unfortunately we don't all have the miraculous recovery that you hear about with THRs.
I hope like me yours is just a time issue rather than anything too sinister. It sounds like you're used to being very active and independent so I should imagine you're also feeling very frustrated.

I'll be thinking about you and hope that your frustrations will be very short lived.

Queenie xxxxx
 
Queenie, if you are talking to me, 3 months is nothing....some get the most relief in 2 yrs I've heard...each one of us is so different...I gather you had the posterior approach which I believe they CUT the muscle, Anterior I'm told they stretch the muscles.....Do your exerices daily and walk as much as possible, that's what my PT kept saying walk walk walk.....I don't walk enough now, years ago I walked miles and miles... And do icing, I still do ice and heat daily for my issues...

I will say more later, going to play bridge...jam
 
At 56, I could not imagine living one more day with the pain I was feeling. People would look at me hobbling on my cane and you could just see the thought process going on in their mind, wondering what my deal was. I'm almost 6 weeks post surgery and I walk without a cane, have returned partially to work and am resuming the life I put on hold or limited due to my bone-on-bone pain. Whatever your age, if your joint is deteriorated to the point of excruciating pain, you need to have it replaced. In my opinion, it is not a procedure for senior citizens only. My grandmother suffered terribly with hip and knee arthritis for 40 years. Back in the 1970's replacement was not a common surgery so she suffered until she passed away. I was not going to have to live the life she did. She would have been so pleased that I did this.
 
Was your PT saying the tight IT band is a good thing? I'm doing a lot of accupressure on this area and it's loosening this tight muscle and I'm feeling a tad better, a little less burning too.
 
Jam, I had several accupressure sessions with PT following my THR. Hurt like heck at the time but yes, you can feel the muscle loosen. Hope things continue to improve!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom