High Tibial Osteotomy It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

You are on the road to recovery with so many working for you!
 
Hi All!! I am feeling so much better!! If you have been following my journey you know its been a tenuous one. I was recently prescribed prednisone to decrease inflammation in my joints. The inflammation has gone down...I am not in as much pain. My knee....I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. The stiffness has decreased considerably and I believe with a little/moderate exercise my extension and rom will improve!
 
What good news to hear that you are feeling better! That light is getting closer and closer!
 
Hi All!
Finally had my appointment with a rheumatologist. Wish I would have seen him sooner! Officially diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. This diagnosis explains a lot with what's going on with me. This doctor along with my new Ortho is very thorough and competent! I was prescribed prednisone taper to help with the inflammation. Metholoxate with the joints and folic acid to help replace any red blood cell loss.
My Ortho, PC and rheumatologist are all working together to get this ole knee working! In addition to my knee aspiration last week by my new Ortho I had a complete lab work done today. I am feeling quite positive on my recovery! Thank you everyone for your ear and support
Good news! Good to hear all your docs are working together.

Do you mean Methotrexate? I take that for my RA and folic acid also, which is taken to counteract certain side effects of the Methotrexate. I take methotreate (pills) once a week and folic acid every day.
 
I hope it kicks in for you soon. It can take a few weeks to notice a difference.
 
@kneeper So the pain should lessen? My ROM and extension should improve? My daughter usually does the shopping for me or I use Amazon. Today I decided to venture on my own....ughhh!! I had maybe 7 items on my list 6 of the items was at one end the last item at the other end of the store.. Super WalMart. By the time I arrived home I was in distress! It's been 16 months since my revision and I am unable to run a simple errand! . Couple of hours later I attended a 60th wedding anniversary luncheon for my aunt and uncle... Elevating and icing front and behind my knee.
Thanks for your shoulders to cry on.
 
The methotrexate will help the psoriatic arthritis and should help decrease inflammation associated with that as the disease gets under control. Whether that will help the replaced knee specifically, I don't know.
 
Sooo...I enjoyed the holiday in Toronto this past weekend. Loved it! However after going on a couple of tours which included some walking....Oh my!!

I am so depressed. I have not gained any ROM or extension in months! I am still at 85-90 flexion and about 13 extension and no this is not a typo. My feeling is if it hasn't gotten better in all this time it won't. I have an OS apt in a couple of weeks my decision has been made. I will have a new TKR done. Will schedule for next summer. I was so hoping I wouldn't have to go that route.

Is there any chance hamstrings can become damaged after a MUA? Since the MUA my hamstring has been very tight and when I try to stretch it very painful. I personally think this is the source of my ROM problem.

If a moderator could please change my heading to: Revision: Third time the charm?
Thank you!
 
I pray you don't have to go that route again. Would a revision correct your ROM. I would think that was all muscular and tendon related. I'll tag @Josephine and ask her opinion.
 
Thank you!

@sistersinhim. I don't know if there is tendon or hamstring damage it feels as if I do .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Josephine, Celle, Jamie

Went to my appt to receive a second opinion. Had new x-rays OS said the implant is good. Fluid was drawn to rule out infection. He gave me the following options: Leave it as it is....Do a new replacement. If I go that route it may or may not work and I will be in risk of an infection. It's not guaranteed.....Resume physical therapy.

If I decide on a new tkr he wants to wait until the psoriasis is cleared up on my knee. Want to see me in 2 months. He also want me to resume using my walker.
Hi - sorry to have to do this but can you not use multiple tags, please? Users with mobile devices report that it makes it very difficult for them to access a post very well as the get in the way. Also your friends who have previously posted to you will be watching your thread so there's really no need for them anyway. I have deactivate those tags.

We did make an announcement about this no so long ago Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts
 
I am still at 85-90 ROM and about 13 extension and no this is not a typo.
A minor point but ROM is both flexion and extension!
I have an OS apt in a couple of weeks my decision has been made. I will have a new TKR done.
Has he suggested this or is this your own idea? I would want some clear evidence that there is something wrong with your knee before doing a revision. In my experience, they are not done for that reason alone.
Is there any chance hamstrings can become damaged after a MUA? Since the MUA my hamstring has been very tight and when I try to stretch it very painful. I personally think this is the source of my ROM problem.
I think it's more likely that this pain has been caused by swelling and stiffness.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Hello, @Josephine - sorry about the delay to your questions.
My OS suggested I consider another replacement. This was one of four options:
1: Replacement 2: Amputation 3: Resume therapy 4:Leave it as it is and live with it.

Yes, I am willing to answer your questions and would appreciate any advice. I am almost crippled and the pain in the back of knee..nothing helps! I tried Tylenol, Advil, Motrin..I take Advil pm to sleep. Any help/suggestions is deeply appreciated.
 
bibi, I just read your thread from beginning to end! There was a lot I'd not seen before so forgive me if some of these area bit old!
I am almost sure I may have an infection in my TKR. About 2 months ago a large boil emerged on my stomach under my breast.
This was probably from the psoriasis. Not at all uncommon.
The reason I brought up the abscess is because if it is an infection it could invade the implant.
As I said previously, this is unlikely to be an issue.
Leave it as it is....Do a new replacement. If I go that route it may or may not work and I will be in risk of an infection. It's not guaranteed.....Resume physical therapy.
Well PT never worked before, did it? So it's unlikely to work now.
If I decide on a new tkr he wants to wait until the psoriasis is cleared up on my knee.
But the psoriasis is unlikely to clear up! But there are ways to reduce the risk, like a week of pre-op skin preps with betadine or similar.
I was prescribed prednisone taper to help with the inflammation.
At last! They should have prescribed that as soon as they got the lab results!
1: Replacement 2: Amputation 3: Resume therapy 4:Leave it as it is and live with it.
Therapy I've said about before.
Amputation: don't ever let anyone persuade you this is the only option because it's not!
Leave it as it is: the same.
Revision: absolutely!

And I believe you asked some time back if there was a limit to how many revisions could be done. Well the answer is that after a couple, or even before that, a wise knee surgeon will opt for a constrained knee which provides excellent stability and security. It's a pretty big device but many have had it and found it to be successful.

[Bonesmart.org] It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy


As for the questions, I think I'll forgo on them as I doubt I will have anything constructive to offer. Sorry!
 
Hi!
It’s been a while since my last time here. Things haven’t gone the way I hoped. On Monday I will schedule a tkr on my left knee. Once I am recuperated another (3) surgery will be planned for my right knee. A whole new replacement. Just wanted to check in and will see you when I am back from the ‘other side!’
 
Hi @bibi

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to come back again.

I hope your left TKR goes well.

I'm sorry you have to have another revision on your right knee. :console2:

I've merged your new post, today, with your 2015-2016 thread, so we have a complete history (so far) for your right knee.

If you let us know when you have a date for your left TKR, we'll add that to your signature.
 
Hi,
I too had to have a revision of a whole new TKR on my right as the first cementless one did not “stick”. Then after several years found out I have an allergy to Nickel which is in the top stainless steel component. Curious why you had to have a revision for another TKR?
 
Back
Top Bottom