High Tibial Osteotomy It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. You posted your question about infection in someone else's thread and they have the staph infection.
I did change your thread title when I moved your post from that thread to your own thread.

Have you been back to your own PCP about the boil not healing? And has any doctor seen your knee since you developed the boil?
 
The reason I brought up the abscess is because if it is an infection it could invade the implant.
This is mightily improbable. Peri-prosthetic infections are totally different in character to boils. You have no cause to worry on that score.
 
@Josephine thank you for the reassurance. I was nervous about infections spreading. I read or maybe someone told me about taking antibiotics before dental work because an infection could cause complications to the knee. I assumed that would be the case for any infection.
I don't think my knee trouble is associated with an infection. It may be more on line of compromised hamstrings and quads. I fear damage was done during my MUA back in 2015. It hasn't been the same since!
 
That could very well be the case. However, it could also be because of excessive exercising!
someone told me about taking antibiotics before dental work because an infection could cause complications
We did think that at one time because we knew no better. However, research has now shown us that infections as in abscesses, dental infections and UTIs are not responsible for PPIs (peri-prosthetic infections). This is more correctly know as biofilm. You can read more about it here
Peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection
Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
Peri-prosthetic infection: study by the Mayo Clinic concerning prophylactic antibiotics (Scientific Articles)
 
Ohhhh!!! The 19th cannot come fast enough! Second opinion. At 17 mos post rtkr revision my knee should not feel as if I have just undergone surgery!
Thanking everyone for your support!
 
I agree, it should not feel like that. Please let us know what the OS says Wednesday.
 
@Celle Dr. Theodore Manson....University of Maryland Orthopedics (Timonium). I am going to see him for a second opinion.
 
Thank you, Bibi .
I hope you hear some useful advice from him. Do let us know won't you?
 
Josephine, Celle, Jamie

Went to my appt to receive a second opinion. Had new x-rays OS said the implant is good. Fluid was drawn to rule out infection. He gave me the following options: Leave it as it is....Do a new replacement. If I go that route it may or may not work and I will be in risk of an infection. It's not guaranteed.....Resume physical therapy.

If I decide on a new tkr he wants to wait until the psoriasis is cleared up on my knee. Want to see me in 2 months. He also want me to resume using my walker.
 
Well, it's good news that he didn't see anything wrong with the implant. But that still leaves you with your current situation. How do you feel about the idea of having another revision with this new surgeon? You do have some time to consider all the options. I think the idea of resuming your walker is good as it will keep less pressure on your knee for now. If you do resume therapy, just be sure it doesn't consist of anything that causes you pain.

There are times that a joint just doesn't work right after surgery and whatever is causing it doesn't show on the xrays. In these cases, when people get the revision by a top flight revisionist, things are okay. Of course, there is no guarantee that would be the case with you, so as far as another surgery goes, you'll have to decide if you want to go that route. I can tell you that I've heard some really good surgeons saying that balancing a knee can be very difficult and that they can do multiple revisions with no problems for the patient. So, if you do opt for more surgery, don't worry about the fact that it would be a second revision.

Please continue to let us know how things go.
 
Thank you @Jamie. Do you think it would be a good choice to go with another surgery? Dr. Manson gave me the worst case scenario...infection and if that occurs a possible amputation. But I can't go on like this. Well I can..I need to stop feeling sorry for myself there are others worse off than me. But to picture living the rest of my life like this.... I really have to pray on this...
Thank you for your support. I really and truly appreciate it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that you need another surgeon necessarily. It's that, if you have another revision done, you need someone who is very, very experienced in fixing problem knees. If you're not confident that this new surgeon you've seen fits that description, then it might be wise to keep looking. I don't get the feeling that your initial surgeon has that type of expertise. Many times it is helpful to have new eyes and hands on a problem joint.

There would be nothing wrong with you getting even more opinions. After all, this is a big problem with big decisions to be made. You need all the information you can get so you are comfortable with whatever choice you make. You may have to drive a bit to find another expert in this area. I can help you search for someone if you like. Or you can look. Usually the best locations are teaching hospitals in university towns or specialty hospitals like the Hospital for Special Surgery (HHS) in New York. I know it's an imposition to drive like that, but if it means the difference between a successful revision or not, it would be worth it.
 
Thank you. The new surgeon I went to today is from a teaching hospital...University of MD. He works with revisions and is also a trauma surgeon. After talking to him I do trust him. But like he warned me everything is not absolute. My apprehension is what if there isn't a change or it is made worst? I do have time to think about it and maybe with therapy there will be improvement.
Thank you for being my sounding board
 
You'll have to decide whether it's worth the risk or not. But please do know that surgeons must give you all the risks involved when they talk about a procedure. Just because something is a risk, doesn't mean it's likely to happen. For example, if you were to get an infection, there are many treatments for that before you get to the point that an amputation is needed. Unless you have something going on that you've not mentioned here, that is a pretty far out risk with having a second revision. We do have quite a number of members who have had more than one knee because of various issues and they are either better or no worse than before the surgery.
 
I agree with everything Jamie has said. The nitty-gritty is that risk does not necessarily the same as inevitably.
 
Hi All!
Finally had my appointment with a rheumatologist. Wish I would have seen him sooner! Officially diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. This diagnosis explains a lot with what's going on with me. This doctor along with my new Ortho is very thorough and competent! I was prescribed prednisone taper to help with the inflammation. Metholoxate with the joints and folic acid to help replace any red blood cell loss.
My Ortho, PC and rheumatologist are all working together to get this ole knee working! In addition to my knee aspiration last week by my new Ortho I had a complete lab work done today. I am feeling quite positive on my recovery! Thank you everyone for your ear and support
 
Back
Top Bottom