Bilateral THR Issues with the cement in my right hip

Hi @maggie23,
You are doing amazingly well.
Don't push yourself too hard & take your pain meds as long as you need them.
I'm 18 days post RTHR & I'm taking the meds (Tylenol & 12 hour Oxycontin) on a schedule & not getting any break-through pain. Sleeping is better as well.
As someone mentioned today, we need a large dose of patience.

Hi MarianC
Funny how we all count our days :)
I am on day 14, feeling very positive.
Started back on the Oxy after 24hrs without it, I hope to get the night pain under control. Waking up every two / three hours :(
Are you still having to ice?

Wishing you all the best

Congrats on the new hip @maggie23
I am two days behind you, my doctor is weaning me off the pills fast so I am just going to have to tough it out, I had no swelling or bruising you and the pain is tolerable and I have a good mobility! Wishing you continued best feeling

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@maggie23 Tramadol is great for low to moderate chronic pain. But not for recovering from a hip replacement. Tell them to give you the good stuff.
I think managing our own care is important. If you hurt, tell them about it.
You will eventually be able to sleep on your side. Both of them:yes:

Tramadol is great for low to moderate chronic pain. But not for recovering from a hip replacement. Tell them to give you the good stuff.
Sorry to dispute you, Dougie, but Tramadol IS 'the good stuff'! IN the UK we use little else. It's actually very good, very effective if take properly which is 100mg plus 1,000mg Tylenol every 6hrs, 4x a day. Trouble is, most of you guys across the pond only take 50mg and no Tylenol and then wonder why it doesn't work! :wink:

Hi everyone
I am taking Oxy and paracetamol, I am feeling really good within myself.

My dressing is off and my scar looks about 10"-12" long. It was worth it.

Sorry to say that my right hip is painful when walking and my new hip allows me to walk longer. I have gone back to the screaming out loud with the pain.

Cramps in my calf and my upper leg today was painful after spending the day out, is that from overdoing it ? or the muscles getting stronger? I relaxed and massaged the back of my calf it still feels tight.

I have to get booked in for physio in one of the rehab centres.

Any ideas for the itching of the scar ?

Wishing everyone the best

I am two days behind you, my doctor is weaning me off the pills fast so I am just going to have to tough it out, I had no swelling or bruising you and the pain is tolerable and I have a good mobility! Wishing you continued best feeling

Gaulsuerue
Your very lucky to not be bruised, I had and still have bruising on my hip and down the back of my leg, looks a lot better each day, my hip is still hard but each day it gets better.
Seems that you are having a good recovery.
Wishing you all the best.

Still so early for you both. Your body will definitely let you know when you overdo. Maybe give yourself a little more test tomorrow.
Once I knew my incision was fully closed, I run coconut oil mostly just beside and not so on it... Love it, not so thick so don't have to rub as much and absorbs fast as my legs are still super hypersensitive.
Your doing well, just don't push it too much

Last edited by a moderator:
my doctor is weaning me off the pills fast so I am just going to have to tough it out
But you don't have to be 'weaned off' everything! You can still take a couple of paracetamol 3-4 times a day. That should be more than enough.
Sorry to say that my right hip is painful when walking and my new hip allows me to walk longer. I have gone back to the screaming out loud with the pain. Cramps in my calf and my upper leg today was painful after spending the day out, is that from overdoing it?
Lets start at the beginning - would you be kind enough to indicate the site of your pain using this chart?

references.jpg
A hips outline.jpg

But you don't have to be 'weaned off' everything! You can still take a couple of paracetamol 3-4 times a day. That should be more than enough.

Hi Josephine

I think I am recovering well, my pain is controlled but as you know we all have bad days. I still have a bad right hip so my pain is always a mixture.

My incision is (Back Picture) -R1B T about 10"-12", the bruising is going down, I still have a large hard mass. I have pain in my calve and my ankle.
It is day 20 and I try and go for a walk every day. If I feel that I need to rest for the day then I will.
My right hip pain is (Front Picture) - V L3F L2F

I have stayed on the painkillers because I am still having bad days. The walking is a lot better and I only use the crutch when I go out shopping because of the right hip and not feeling secure about my new hip.

At the moment I have no complaints and my pain has been reduced by at least 70%, no lower back pain and the pain in my left hip,buttocks is due to the surgery.

Okay, I hear you!

As for your pain, is this about the places you get it?

maggie.jpg

I still have a large hard mass.
Is this hard mass about the point where I have put the star and the arrow?

The blue area in the front view is undoubtedly due to too much activity. So I would like to ask you some questions if you don't mind

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

I think I am recovering well, my pain is controlled but as you know we all have bad days. I still have a bad right hip so my pain is always a mixture.

My incision is (Back Picture) -R1B T about 10"-12", the bruising is going down, I still have a large hard mass. I have pain in my calve and my ankle.
It is day 20 and I try and go for a walk every day. If I feel that I need to rest for the day then I will.
My right hip pain is (Front Picture) - V L3F L2F

I have stayed on the painkillers because I am still having bad days. The walking is a lot better and I only use the crutch when I go out shopping because of the right hip and not feeling secure about my new hip.

At the moment I have no complaints and my pain has been reduced by at least 70%, no lower back pain and the pain in my left hip,buttocks is due to the surgery.

The mass is where the blue arrow is.
The front picture is my non operated leg.
1. posterior

2. 4

3. Oxycodone Hydrochloride 10mg 1 twice a day and top up with 2 paracetamol 4 time a day. (if I do not take the Oxy and paracetamol I take 2 Co-codamol 4 times a day) the paracetamol do not help with any pain I have, so I do not take them.

4. I ice my hip during the night for about 20 minutes or longer if needed all over the leg.

5. I elevate my leg during the night or when resting.

6. Usual housework, hoovering, light cooking,laundry, my son helps me with anything that includes bending or lifting. I try and do 2000 to 5000 steps every other day.

7. I have been released from the hospital PT and I am waiting for my doctor to refer me to a physio
Daily exercise 10 reps leg forward - twice a day
Daily exercise 10 reps leg sideways - twice a day
Daily exercise 10 reps leg backways - twice a day
Daily exercise 10 squats - twice a day

The mass is where the blue arrow is.
Yes, I thought so. So what you have is Trochanteric bursitis.
2. pain is 4
okay
3. Oxycodone Hydrochloride 10mg 1 twice a day and top up with 2 paracetamol 4 times a day. (if I do not take the Oxy and paracetamol I take 2 Co-codamol 4 times a day) the paracetamol does not help with any pain I have, so I do not take them.
That's a bit contradictory - first you said you take paracetamol 4 times a day and then you said it doesn't help so you don't take them. Which is it?
4. I ice my hip during the night for about 20 minutes or longer if needed all over the leg.
5. I elevate my leg during the night or when resting.
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. Usual housework, hoovering, light cooking,laundry, my son helps me with anything that includes bending or lifting. I try and do 2000 to 5000 steps every other day.
That's far too much to be doing at 3 weeks out. Far too much. Did you read the recovery articles Jaycey left for you in post #3? If not, I suggest you go back and read them all now. Amongst them was this article Activity progression for THRs. You really do need to follow that.

My comments in bold
I have been released from the hospital PT and I am waiting for my doctor to refer me to a physio - hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
Daily exercises - since I posted the comment above, you will now know that all these should be stopped. Don't do any of them. They will only cause this pain you are complaining of
10 reps leg forward - twice a day
10 reps leg sideways - twice a day
10 reps leg backways - twice a day
10 squats - twice a day

Hi Maggie. I know this can be rather confusing but I was admonished a few times by Josephine for the length of time icing and the NO PT NEEDED..especially so early out.
Thing is...she was right. Especially trying to do all of that using your bad hip for support.
Sad news is sometimes there is nothing we can DO to actually make it better quicker except let our bodies fix things and give them time to do it.
Really is much harder than it sounds..
Most of us do it any way though. Can't help ourselves. Hope you get a good night sleep..:loveshwr:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was admonished a few times by Josephine
2 sorry.gif
Mojo! I would have preferred advised or even encouraged but admonished? I may even get a bit shrill about it sometimes but I hope I never admonish. Makes me sound like a stern school teacher with a cane in my hand!
club.gif

:heehee:

@maggie23 I'll echo the others... I've realized (sometimes the hard way by doing too much) the biggest issue for most of us is patience. The body needs time to heal and we all heal at different rates. Hence some folks speed along, @dougie0216 I'm thinking of you! While others, myself included gain ground little by little.

I'm one month post-op and find I can manage a SHORT outing in the car to run an errand or enjoy a cup of coffee at a coffee shop, every other day. If I plan to cook, I better also plan to stay home and save my energy for that. At first, just taking a shower, dressing, and putting on my makeup

It's so hard to be patient... but it's worth it. "Overdoing" puts us at risk for injuries which increase recovery time and involve pain that can be avoided.

Take care... slow and steady wins the race.

It is now 7 weeks after my LTHR , the first 5 weeks was easier than the last 2 weeks.

I had my appointment with my consultant and he seemed happy with my progress.

I feel very stiff in the morning, is that normal ?

7 weeks is still very early in the process. Did you read the recovery articles left for you earlier? One was this Chart representation of THR recovery
I have looked at the recovery chart, I am also resting as much as possible. My eight weeks of sick leave is over on the 6th September and I will be returning to work.

I am would like to know if anyone has any suggestion I should ask my doctor to write on my fit to work certificate.

I would like to do less hours for the first couple of weeks as I am already aware that I will be shattered by the end of the day. My job is office based, it is more mentally challenging rather than physical, I have the freedom to leave the office and have a short walk down the corridor to stretch my legs. The journey is 30 miles and includes a school run and takes just over 1 hour before I am in the office.

I already have a new chair but I really do not find it comfortable.

My consultant has put me on the waiting list to have my RTHR, I do not have the dates so I am not thinking about that at the moment.

Why not tell your Doc You don't feel capable of doing a full weeks work.
Ask for a Phased Return To Work.
2 Days 1st Week. Tue Thu.
3 Days 2nd Week. Mon Wed Fri.
5 Days 3rd Week.
That way you can ease yourself in.
Most employers these days should have no Issue with this.
Best Wishes.
Joe.......

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member