Thanks so much
@ebungalow, for your reply. Sometimes it’s hard to locate people like us who have this pre condition! ( chronic DVT) .
My chronic clot is behind my left knee. The knee replacement was my right one. Scary part is the left knee is close to needing replacement, too! I had developed my clot in 2015 as my hip went bad. They never came up with a clear reason for it. Did all the tests, I don’t seem to have any of the existing known genetic conditions. My mother was dying at the time and I was caring for her in my house. Great stress. She had clots over the years, too so I have been told that there still might be a genetic component to my tendency but it has not yet been discovered.
I did end up having the left hip replaced, in 2017. It was relatively uneventful and the recovery was certainly fairly quick. At that time I was on Warfarin. Maybe the fact I am now on a Eliquis changes things??
Just the fact you told me that this knee replacement for you - the knee in the leg with the clot - seems to be a bit more problematic - just confirms for me that having impaired circulation - and perhaps how it is treated?! - might at least impact how quickly you recover. Seems to make sense to me! I will follow your progress with interest. And I wish you good luck, will try to stay in touch with you so we can compare notes. You are certainly a brave soul having had three of these in 17 months, including both knees! Bless you!
I sent a letter to my hematologist’s RN to discuss with her my next steps - especially whether it’s worth the risk to go off the Eliquis for a month and also take Naproxen for occasional pain while I am off it.
On the plus side, I do like both my doctors and sincerely think they are trying to help me. I have suggested they discuss what I should do with each other!
Thanks to
@sistersinhim, too!
To answer some of your questions: I am five months post surgery on January 15, only a few days away. It doesn’t bother me so much that I still have pain, I expect that. What I can’t accept is that for almost ten weeks now I just don’t seem to be making progress toward becoming pain free consistently. Maybe baby steps, but I do not often feel better. I just remember how it felt when I had recovered from total hip replacement and I had a few good days where I knew I was making genuine progress. I don’t feel that way with this surgery. Pain generally stays around a 5-6 now. I haven’t done therapy for at least a month now. I walk around the little I can before the burning pain starts consuming me. My flexion is 125 and extension a 10 at my last therapy session. I can bend okay and straighten okay; the knee is strong. I am just in burning pain when I stand and walk and it just doesn’t seem to be getting better no matter how much I ice or elevate. Yes, it’s better while I am elevating, but the ice warms up and I am still in pain. I cannot yet sleep on my right side. Today, while walking in Costco I had a very sharp quick pain right in the center of my knee cap that almost took me off my feet. I got home and iced and elevated but I can’t “ rest” it too much as then I worry about clots.
Sorry, just giving into the depression tonight.