Metal Allergy Is Metal Allergy (solely) a reason to have a knee revision?

@Kathy0427 I am so sorry that you are still having issues at 8 months. I totally understand. There are times during this recovery that the depression and feeling of helplessness is overwhelming. I have spent many late nights reading other people's posts to try to find answers.

I am 18 months and have had X-rays and CT scan and my prosthesis is intact and looks great, according to the OS and revisionist I saw. I have been to 4 different physical therapist with the last 2 being "experts" with problem knees. I have seen a chiropractor and, unfortunately, the soreness from the procedures was unbearable. The problem is, I still have pain and stiffness.

I have made the decision to give my knee, and me, a rest from going to therapists and doctors. I am following the walking schedule provided by @KarriB. I also use KT tape on my quads and on my IT Band which really helps a lot. YouTube videos and the video instructions provided by KT tape helped me apply the tape correctly. My introduction to KT tape was through a post from @Jockette.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Kathy, I want you to know that I still had pain at 8 months and still used a cane well into my 2nd year of recovery. Every body/knee is different, if you need to use the cane at 8 months that is perfectly ok. At 3 years post op I had pain when walking for any length of time and still had to sit down after a few stores at Ross Park Mall. As 4quilts said, I did begin a walking regimen that totally helped my pain situation, but I understand the isolation and disappointment that pain brings with it.
 
Kathy, of course you are down---just missing Scotland and cuddles with your husband would be enough. I am glad you are going for a second opinion, I think Cleaveland Clinic has a great reputation and hopefully, Dr. Krebs will take a proper look at your situation and at least come up with a suggestion or two or three. Being in pain and unable to walk is not good. I think it is good that you are taking the metal allergy test too
 
Kathy, hi! The clinic in Alexandria/Arlington is broken link removed: https://andersonclinic.com/directory/people/. I don't know who to recommend there. The father of one of the surgeons, Gerard Engh, was a major developer of partial knee replacements and he did my mom's partial (which lasted 25 years). Jo wrote an article about Choosing a surgeon and prosthesis. That'll give you some questions to ask when you phone them.

When I was seeking second opinions my PCP recommended I get two, and that was helpful because they more or less said the same thing. If they were different, I suppose I would've gotten a third. But between those and the workup with a rheumatologist and the sessions with a physiatrist and the brace I wore, my not-so-good TKR resulted in a lot of efforts and costs and in the end it was still not-so-good. Having the pieces come loose was a blessing. One of those experts I saw for a second opinion was who did my surgery. So by getting a second opinion, you are lined up for "Plan B."
 
Writing this , looking for prayers, hope and ideas.
I have not written in awhile, because I had some news that hit me like a Mack truck.
Tomorrow I find out whether I have breast cancer - what the type and stage is. Two weeks ago, while (co incidentally in the same hospital I had my TKR) I was having blood drawn for the metal allergy LTT test , my phone rang. I had a call asking me to return for a follow up diagnostic mammogram. (My knee finally felt good enough to schedule my yearly mammogram at the sixteenth month mark from my last mammogram.)
That started off a maelstrom of emotions and appointments ending with a biopsy last Thursday. Tomorrow I will get the results, but I truly am expecting a cancer diagnosis. Just hoping it is treatable and caught early enough.
My questions for this forum are - still - however directed toward what occurred with the allergy test I took that morning . The day before my biopsy I found out via email the LTT test results. It does turn out I am “ Highly Reactive” (8.7) to Nickel and “reactive” (4.3) to Chromium. Cobalt reactivity was “ Mild” (2.0).
Believe it or not, I had also scheduled myself for some PT with a highly recommended therapist and even in this last week, his techniques, exercises and general suggestions has helped me to find some pain relief and loosen the tightness and swelling.
I haven’t even thought about calling my OS (and his office never called me - just emailed the results.) with my fearful diagnosis of breast cancer looming. But I want to know if the ONLY way to address this issue - allergy to the implant - is to have revision surgery ; or does the body eventually accept the knee. ? Assuming some type of breast surgery will be in the cards (not to mention radiation and either hormone or chemo therapies), will any surgeon agree to revise the knee? When might it be safe to do so? any ideas on how long would be required to wait? Is there any chance that success with this round of PT, I might get myself to a “better place” in my knee journey, or - with the allergies I have - is revision surgery the ONLY way to achieve peace with my knee?
I am so scared right now.
Please pray for me!
Thank you to all!
Kathy
 
Kathy, sending hugs and prayers. :console2:

I’ll tag @Josephine to address your questions.
 
Hi, sorry to hear about your impending results. I can't comment on your knee issues, but as someone who is 10 years on from a breast cancer diagnosis I just wanted to offer some support if you need it. Feel free to pm me if it helps. I hope and pray the results are the best possible news or that it's been caught early and you get a suitable treatment plan. :console2:
 
Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry but I have no idea. Never worked in a breast cancer unit.
 
Thanks to all of you,
certainly need those prayers
@Josephine
My bigger questions are probably out of your realm, but the only two I can ask of you - that I am thinking you might be able to answer are:
(1) Can an allergy to metal ( Please see my previous post for actual readings from the LTT test) resolve WITHOUT having to have a revision to a new non allergenic composition knee?
(2) And, do readings of an allergy to Nickel or other metals as indicated mean that loosening of the prosthesis is INEVITABLE? (even if it is not seen as loosened at this point)

Thank you.
Kathy
 
(1) Can an allergy to metal resolve WITHOUT having to have a revision to a new non allergenic composition knee?
I would doubt it.
(2) And, do readings of an allergy to Nickel or other metals as indicated mean that loosening of the prosthesis is INEVITABLE?
Not at all.
 
Kathy, wow. Overwhelming. Cancer diagnosis without any other bad things going on is overwhelming. So that's your priority, getting your diagnosis and your plan and your treatment . . . but I'm crossing my fingers that it is not a malignancy.

It sounds like the PT was a great direction. That gives you something to actually do to improve your knee, and that's fabulous.

Whether or not your knee problems are connected to the sensitivity is another question that is hard to answer. I don't think it will cause loosening. My loosening was caused by osteolysis caused by polyethylene wear particles, not the nickel. And as for the question of whether the sensitivity goes away, I know there are some new approaches (I hear of children undergoing some novel treatment), but I don't think your sensitivity will go away.

My nickel sensitivity came out 13.2. I am of two minds about it. I can think, yes, that's what caused my effusion. But now I experienced how the better surgeon got better immediate results, such post-operative pain no higher than 2 on the 0-10 pain scale. What I'm getting at is nickel sensitivity should be taken seriously but it's pretty hard to know it's the cause of the problems. Still an evolving science.

With what's going on, you can your time to mull it over and talk to your OS about it but of course your world has been turned upside down and that's what you have to focus on.
 
Mary, Diane,
Thank you for your kind wishes. They are most appreciated. Of course, you are right; my mind is far away from knees right now, but I am so very scared I am trying to keep calm by distracting myself to my knees.
Kathy
 
Kathy, sending you a hug. I’m praying that you get the best possible result tomorrow. :console2::prayer: One step at a time. Once you find out what you’re dealing with regarding your mammogram results you can then deal with your knee.
 
Kathy, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
I’m so sorry and hoping your test results are good.
 
Hi, thinking of you . . .
 
I do hope someone might have some answers for me. Maybe someone might remember me.

I have been a member of Bonesmart since I had my left hip replaced in February, 2017. That recuperation was very good - no issues.

Due to a misunderstanding with my surgeon, I moved on to another well respected surgeon in 2018, when I required a right knee replacement. The RTKR was done in August, 2018. I posted a number of items about my dissatisfaction throughout that following year with the knee replacement.

It just was not right... burning pain! Despite two rounds of physical therapy and numerous x rays, I was told repeatedly my surgeon- who is also a revision surgeon - could find no issues. The knee used was anATTUNE - Synthes(??)

I have not posted anything to Bonesmart since I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2019. Now, that I have my partial mastectomy and treatment and am currently cancer free, I have gone back to trying to address my long term disappointment with the right knee replacement. It is STILL very painful upon weight bearing.

My current surgeon, who did the knee replacement, is a well regarded revision surgeon in the Pittsburgh area. Though I have had reasonable extension and range of motion, I don’t think I have had any day where I can say I have not had pain, mostly of a burning, numbing nature, on the front and slightly on the outside, above the knee, whenever I place my weight on it to walk. Sometimes it is of the “elastic” band, constrictive type and sometimes, just burning. I have had two complete rounds of physical therapy to no avail. Nothing ever shows up as a problem on blood tests, x rays, physical exams. My surgeon refuses to order an MRI or bone scan, as he keeps coming up with theories about what could be causing the pain and they sound logical to me. The latest has been ,” the hip is so bad, if you get the hip replaced, the knee will improve, also.” The right hip was completely shot, so I consented to trying that last month, I had my surgeon do a RTHR (March 10). This time, the right hip is also causing no issues as I recuperate, but the pain in the right knee feels even WORSE!

I will also add that last year I had paid for the LTT test for metal allergies. (My surgeon provided me a prescription, but I paid for the test)

The results were surprising to him: I proved to be “Highly Reactive” to Nickel (8.7), “Reactive” to Chromium and “Mildly Reactive” to Cobalt.

However, with the results, he still insisted that the success of revising a knee solely due to a metal allergy, in his experience, has been very variable. He said at least half of the people who have the revision with only the results of the test indicating an allergy (no fevers, no skin eruptions, no radiologic evidence of loosening or infection) experience no relief! He told me many people have metal allergies who don’t develop ANY pain or rejection of the metal after surgery. And when you add to that, revision surgery is a longer recovery, to (many times) no real difference in pain- he wanted to keep looking for other reasons for my ongoing pain. And thus, he thought, if my right hip was replaced, the knee pain would go away.

So, I followed his reasoning and had the right hip replaced March 10. ( I also was having hip pain that I knew would not improve, so it was a no- brainer to have the hip replaced. So, the hip is getting better , but the knee isn’t. In fact, I would say, it feels worse.

My first visit after surgery to the hip was last week. He told me the hip was fine - AND SO WAS MY KNEE. He did tell me he had to mend my adductor tendon and had a fair amount of stitch work. He also mentioned to me that he is starting to suspect my pain in the knee is originating from my back. He has told me that I must heal for another six weeks (from the right hip replacement on March 10) , but then I will need to explore CRPS as the source of my pain ( which I just don’t believe) and my back for clues as to the origin of the pain.

For the record, I did get a second opinion about all of this and the second surgeon, who is also a revision surgeon, agreed with my surgeon. He told me he would also advise me to get my hip replaced because there was a chance the pain was coming from the hip - and, since the hip was bad already - getting the hip done would help with the obvious hip pain I was having. (I should also mention that the revision surgeon is also in Pittsburgh, so they might know each other:-(. )

So, I have several questions tonight:

Has anyone been told similar things to what my surgeon told me? That revision surgery based solely on the LTT test showing metal allergy is only successful half the time?

That metal allergy is NOT ALWAYS a reason for revision?

Can burning pain on weight bearing at the front of the knee be originating from a back problem?

Thank you for listening to my long story.

If anyone has any advice for me, I’d love to hear it.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom