Metal Allergy Is Metal Allergy (solely) a reason to have a knee revision?

I have only my iPad and iPhone available to me. On the iPad- which I am using now, I am permitted to “Reply” while within a thread. On the iPhone, I cannot see any “ Reply” option while in someone’s recovery thread and the only capability I appear to have is to create a new thread . The instructions provided for use appear to be for use within the Internet , and many of these instructions simply do not appear to be available when not accessing the internet version via your PC.
Hi @Kathy0427
You can access most of the functions you'd use on a PC if you use your IPad's internet browser instead of using an app. Ask your browser to take you to the main forum page:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/
Then you will be able to respond in the usual way.
That's how I do it when I'm using my IPad.
 
I have determined today I am going to cut back quite a bit on both the CPM and the aggressive exercises.
I suggest you just cut them out altogether! They're largely unnecessary anyway. I recommend you read my recovery thread to see how little exercising I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)
She believes my ROM is good (100-110)
Your ROM is SUPERB!!
My reason for not wanting to take narcotic meds is private and I just don’t feel free to discuss here
How about talking to me via a PM? I could probably help more if I knew the problems.
 
I liked the cpm at first to "loosen up" the knee, but found that about 45 minutes was about my max before it aggravated things. Some surgeons don't use them at all. If you're already at 100 or more you really don't need it.
 
All different opinions again. I asked my PT about the CPM machine and he said they were old school.

And yet many members on here are using it.
 
@kneeper, I do think the CPM loosened my knee during the last two weeks of use. But , just like you , I found about 45 minutes to be the limit ; I usually go about an hour at two sittings a day. In the worst of my pain during the last two weeks, for some reason, that machine actually helped soothe it! Not sure how or why. Heck, it might have just been that slow droning sound it makes putting me to sleep when I hadn’t gotten any the previous night[emoji854].
The other good thing I can say is that my home PT - when I told her I was using the CPM two hours each day - did not coax me to do unreasonable heel slides or other exercises that were VERY painful for me that first week. She happens to be a fan of the CPM and I probably would side with her . She measured me at 112 today with me doing it all! No forcing by her! Best day yet!!
I think I have it till the fourth week, so plan to get the most out of it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jockette, I think because the CPM moves so slowly , it doesn’t scare me as it would if the PT was forcing my leg back.
After those nightmarish PT sessions in the hospital, I really lucked out with a fairly reasonable therapist, and she has a nice balance of exercises and some massage that has meant a lot in helping me relax.
And use of that CPM - I swear - has been helping me achieve decent rotation numbers in a these early days .


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I’m glad you feel the CPM is helping and that it feels relaxing. I have never used one. It looks like quite the contraption in the pictures I’ve seen of them!

That’s great, also, that you like your therapist. Mine did do a bit of massage at the beginning of the session, and it did feel really nice.

Maybe ask her for suggestions of a PT place that does the gentler things like she does, when/if you move on to out patient.
 
@DLR, the pain was quite a bit less today. Not sure why.
I got a terrific upset stomach this afternoon from an additional dose of Celebrex the OS PA wanted me to try for my pain. So, yesterday, I got fed up and said to myself - let’s see how bad this pain actually gets today with just Tylenol.
Lo and behold! Significantly diminished pain. Even a solid 4-6 hours overnight sleep.
I begin local PT on Friday. Holding my fingers crossed. I really liked my home PT.
I swear a lot of our recovery does seem to be affected by the type of people we have guiding us through these early days. And everyone here have been very kind, indeed, so I am hoping for the best!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kathy0427 hurray so glad you had a good day. It’s strange I read so many of the stories on the forum before and thought I was prepared but still seem to be surprised by the ups and downs. However I will be thankful for the little things, my husband and I went out for an early dinner, we chose a place with booth seating where I knew I could turn sideways and put my leg up at times, it worked well and was nice to be out of the house.
Hope you have a restful night my friend
 
So glad to hear the Tylenol is working well for you. I too found Tylenol worked well after surgery (about three weeks after in my case). That really surprised me, because it had done nothing at all pre-op.

I hope your PT is helpful and gentle. My therapist gave great leg massages... best reason for going! :snork:
 
@Jockette, I think because the CPM moves so slowly , it doesn’t scare me as it would if the PT was forcing my leg back.
True--you are in control of it. I remember they hooked me up to it in the hospital and said you will use it for x period of time. I'd just reach over and turn it off when I thought I had had enough. just a little rebellion :wink: :good-bad:
 
Hi, everyone.. just wanted to write a quick update as I finish third week.
Recovery is happening but it seems to be ever so slow..especially when I compare this to my recovery from my hip replacement.
I am still using my walker; I just can’t seem to trust using a cane yet. I am not sure if I said this, but the second day I was home I fell in my bathroom. I did not seem to suffer any injury but the episode scared me quite a bit. I am finding it difficult to begin using the cane. I have a PT visit tomorrow ; and, as I said, I do like my therapist and trust him. I think I’ll ask him for advice on when and how to transfer. How did all of you know it was time to go to the cane and then, on your own. Are there some pains that should be faded? Is there a certain ROM or extension you should have?
Also having the somewhat common problem of not being able to sleep at night. Thinking of taking a Benadryl until I get more regular. Any dangers in that?
I am only using Tylenol for pain and the pain is diminishing a bit..


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Recovery is happening but it seems to be ever so slow..especially when I compare this to my recovery from my hip replacement.
Yes, recovery from a knee replacement does take longer than recovery from a hip replacement. The knee is a more complicated joint.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?
Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes as long as a full year, although you will feel much better long before that. This recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.

I am still using my walker; I just can’t seem to trust using a cane yet. I am not sure if I said this, but the second day I was home I fell in my bathroom. I did not seem to suffer any injury but the episode scared me quite a bit. I am finding it difficult to begin using the cane.
There's nothing wrong with still using a walker, and there are no prizes for getting off it early. It's much better to keep using it than to risk having another fall.

You will gradually start to rely less and less on your walker and should move naturally to using a cane.
There's no set time when you should change from one walking aid to another.
Keep using the walker until you feel secure enough to use a cane. That should be your decision, and no one else's. Your PT can advise, but you're under no obligation to accept his advice.
 
@Kathy0427 how are you this morning? Don’t rush the cane... I used 1 crutch for a while it felt more secure than the cane, then I suddenly knew when I was ready for the cane, I am so sorry you had a fall I can’t imagine how scary that was. Be kind to yourself. My ROM is slow at increasing, I am at 90 flexion and not quite 0 extension. Fortunately my PT says she is not worried I am where they would want me at 4 weeks so I am trying hard not to compare. Hang in there we have this !
 
I think I’ll ask him for advice on when and how to transfer. How did all of you know it was time to go to the cane and then, on your own.
You will know when to transfer and no one else. It depends on your stability and confidence. Your knee is the controller!
 
I liked the comment I read somewhere on here (I can;t remember whose thread) - I knew I was ready to lose the cane when I started forgetting where it was!
 
Hi @Kathy0427 . I never used a walker, but began with 2 crutches. You'll know when it's time to transition. I started carrying my crutches instead of using them. That's when I knew it was time. Currently I don't use the cane in the house, but I use it whenever I go out especially if I'm going to walk long distances.

I wish I could get beyond the nighttime pain. I'll ice during the day whenever I feel it necessary. The weather is a little stormy today and that could be why I'm more achy than usual. Keep up the good work, I'm right there with you.
Sue
 
With my first knee, I used the walker for almost a month. I had a dead quad and my leg was not reliable. This time I went to the cane after about three days. Most of the time at home I tend to forget to use it but I always take it with me out of the house. Just do what you need to do and don't compare yourself with others. For me, I'm glad my first knee was the problem child because it helps me have reasonable expectations and be more empathetic to the problems of others. I can reliably tell others who have problem knees that it WILL get better!
 
Hi, all. I haven’t written for awhile as my recovery to date has been of the “ two steps forward, one step back” variety. Every time I thought I would be optimistic, the next day would be difficult and I would think, “ don’t post anything yet.”
Yesterday, I saw OS for first time . Today is my six week anniversary of the new right leg. Still very difficult to get comfortable at night. Doctor thought I was doing “ as expected” and encouraged me to not be too impatient, as “ everyone is different; the surgery is actually pretty brutal.”
He told me everything looked good; however, when I saw the radiologist interpretation of the x rays taken in his office yesterday evening, it stated that there was “ a 1.5 cm ossific density projecting over posterior soft tissues on lateral projection is felt to represent a loose body within a joint recess.”
I have had aBakers cyst with “ a loose body” in it since 2009 and I am wondering if it is normal to not have that “ body” removed during surgery. I was told prior to surgery that my Bakers cyst would resolve with surgery. I had assumed that meant immediately.
Have any of you had old Bakers cysts with “ loose bodies” not resolve after a TKR. How long does this take? Can it make recovery slower; or less likely?
I have questions in to my OS on all of this - as he never addressed the x ray showing the “Loose body” while I was there.
Just curious as to whether any of you have had experience - and hopefully, success- with painful Baker’s cysts resolving and “ loose bodies” from previous damage absorbing without issues?
Thanks to all for the wonderful advice and stories. Patience is certainly a virtue we all need with this!
Kathy


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom