TKR Irish471's Recovery Thread

:heehee: I definitely did not mean to imply that I was striving for 10,000 steps right now. No way is that happening :bignono:

Like Celle said, maybe after a year I can reach the overall recommended amount.I

On another note, my son's graduation was good! Although, there was an extremely inconsiderate RUDE family that arrived late and thought it would be okay to try to climb over me to get into the bleachers (I was in a handicap seat next to the bleachers). I stopped them and explained how I just had surgery and it was NOT okay to climb over me. Good Lord, what is wrong with some people these days?!?! :gaah:

@Josephine , I would like to ask you a question about PPI usage (specifically protonix). I am on it long term as I have GERD. The GERD was verified by a ph monitor test that my gastroenterologist ordered a couple of years ago. I am aware that protonix has several bad side effects and I am most worried about the bone loss it can cause. I had a bone scan that showed osteopenia in my left hip. Since I am now the proud owner of a cementess tkr, should I try to get off the protonix? I am worried about what the medication does to the bones and if it could negatively affect my tkr.

@Irish471 I am not a Dr and I'm sure Josephine will have advice for you, but I DID want to share an experience with my son. He was medicated for severe GERD from age birth-3, then again from age 5-10---basically 7 yrs of Prilosec daily. He experienced delayed bone healing with a fractured wrist at age 5 and again with a broken thumb at age 10. The first incident was blamed on steroids, as he had had 4 rounds of prednisone in 14 months due to a bad year with his asthma. The second time it happened, his pediatrician and orthopedist were concerned. Blood tests showed a severe Vitamin D deficiency.

His orthopedist said he had seen this a lot with kids who were now medicated for longer periods with PPI drugs. We found a new Pediatric Gastroenterologist who agreed we needed to try everything to get Owen off of the PPI meds, as new studies are showing long-term use (over 2 yrs) is resulting in increased cases of kidney damage and mineral deficiencies---specifically Vitamin D and Calcium. It took 6-8 months to wean him off successfully, with many bad stomach days mixed in, but we finally got him off. Surprisingly, he grew 4 inches in the next 9 months, though he was only 11.:yikes: It definitely makes a person wonder.....

Well that's was a worrying story for you, @Rockgirl4 but my experience is quite different.

I have been on PPIs for about 40 years now and while I was taking a low-moderate dose to begin with, I'm now on bigger dose and have been for 15-20 years! I've never had or seen bone loss mentioned per sae but as it happened, I had a bone density scan just before my first knee op and the reading was off the scale! The technician was astounded! He had a sheet that was just one great big black square! The same thing shows on my xrays and both my surgeons have comment about my 'tough bones'! So would think this thing comes under the title of "a risk but not an inevitability".

@Rockgirl4 , wow, your son went through a lot, poor kid! I think the prednisone and PPI were a double whammy to a growing boy. I have been off the PPI in the past after I lost 40 lbs. I need to lose some weight again. Sigh! Never ending battle! Oh, and I also take lots of vitamin D, magnesium, and B to counteract the PPI, and I get those levels monitored yearly :) My primary doc is putting me on something called Fosteum Plus. It’s been shown to really help osteopenia.

@Josephine , thank you for your insight! That’s very reassuring! :loveshwr:

Last edited:
10 weeks!
I am still spending some time in the ODIC and trying to identify that fine line before I am in danger of overdoing it. I spent most of the holiday weekend relaxing.

On Monday, we decided to do a little shopping. It’s so funny how you find such a mixture of people when venturing out in public. You have the kind, considerate people who will hold the door open for you or patiently wait while you hobble on by and then you have the clueless and careless people that don’t look where they are walking or seem to get the fact that they are just plain rude. I find myself being hyper vigilant and sometimes, I unabashedly hold my arm out to secure my safety and personal space :heehee:

The knee did pretty well. Or so I thought? I awoke at 2 a.m. and sought out my ice pack and an oxycodone. It felt fine in the morning. I made it into the office at 10 a.m. and kept my activity to a minimum today. I am proud to say that I made it all the way to 5 p.m. Woohooo! I hope that by next week I can get back to my normal schedule.

With my son’s graduation and the holiday yesterday, I haven’t been to PT for a week! I have definitely noticed some increased stiffness. I am missing that stationary bike! I am starting to wonder if I will ever achieve 120 on flexion. I know it’s still early in this year long recovery. I just seem stuck right now. The good news is that pain I had at the back of the knee has disappeared, thank God!

I had a coworker question why I am still using a cane. I explained that I keep it handy for when I get fatigued. It does help me to walk at a faster pace without a limp. I could have said ‘mind your own business,’ :heehee: but I didn’t. I do like to have it accessible just in case. Is that so wrong???

Last edited:
You're not wrong to hang onto your cane. I'm almost 3 months post surgery and walking fine, but I keep my cane in the car just in case I have walked too much or am going somewhere very crowded where I feel people might want to push past me or kids might run into me. I'm not able to get out of people's way very quickly now. :flwrysmile:

Trying to get the overdo figured is a difficult balance for me too. I try to err on the side of underdo but when I'm feeling briefly almost back to normal it's almost impossible to rein myself in.

@Irish471 you are doing great! It truly is a balance game...building in more rest filled days amidst our attempts at normalcy. Keep the cane, it is also our secret “back off” weapon in a crowd lol. I am realizing not only is this a knee recovery but years of pain have made all the muscles weak and it takes a long time to recover
Cheering you on :yay:

You're better placed than anyone else to know when to put your cane away. I've bought a fold up one I can keep in my handbag that I can take out if I go somewhere that I think it might be of use. You're doing great and working as well. :wowspring:

On my second to last PT visit the therapist asked me how I was doing without a cane (I still was using it when he asked). This was 4 and 1/2 weeks PO. I told him I was ok at home without it for a couple of steps. He asked to see me walk across the gym without it. It was obvious to both him and me that I was walking with a hitch without it. I told him the bottom line was I wasn't ready to commit 100% of my weight to my right foot like you do when walking normally. I used it for a good month after that and still took it on 1 mile walks with me, although I started to play with it more than lean on it. So, maybe at about 8 - 9 weeks PO I really put it away (I'll be 12 weeks PO on Friday), because I got to the point where it doesn't really help anymore.

In my opinion, the bottom line is you really should use the cane until you don't need it, and you know when you reach that point, because before you reach that point you're reluctant to commit all your weight to that foot. It actually comes naturally during the recovery process, so there's no need to worry about it. :treadmill:

5 weeks PO. TKR. I use a cane when out, balance and I feel better. My PT has me using it because I need to improve my gate, relearning to not walk like a weeble

It’s been a very tiring couple of weeks. I am beat and looking for my ticket out of the ODIC. You can stick a fork in me because I’m done. I have broken down a couple of times this past week and a half and taken a couple of the precious few oxycodones I have left. This weekend will be spent RELAXING as much as possible. I know a lot of the March Bonesmarties are feeling the same way. We all just want to be better already :bawl:

I am thankful that I start each new day with a clean slate with no swelling or pain. I just have to better manage what happens after that. The pain that I’ve felt this week is sadly very familiar. It’s almost like the soft tissues remember all the areas that would hurt from arthritis. It’s not a burning pain like the arthritis pain was. It’s more of an angry tissue feeling. The knee has felt very tender and swollen. I was hoping to be past all of that and I really don’t want to regress to feeling those old aches and pains on top of the new ones that crop up. I am hoping that having some down time will help.

Last edited:
It definitely sounds like you need some time out. I have total respect for everyone back at work because I know I can’t face that challenge yet.
It is so difficult not to overdo when you are just trying to live your normal life.
Feet up, relax and enjoy your weekend x

March bonessmarty here.

These last few months have been a trip to remember. No matter how mentally prepared you think you are, or how well you're doing, this procedure will knock you down to unexpected levels.

Sending healing thoughts your way.

I know exactly what you mean. I passed the magical "12 weeks PO" mark yesterday so you'd think there would be some new level of relief from all the various pains: hamstring cramps, knee and foot pains, horrible sleep patterns, crazy insane dreams. But no, not really. The beat just goes on.

I've been walking every day. I even walked a mile two days in a row for the first time yesterday. :wow:

You'd think that would be something that would feel good, like a great accomplishments. Right?

But you know what it's really like?

It's like I asked myself: Let's see...what can I do to remind myself that this is far from over with?

OH! I know. I'll walk a mile two days in a row!! That ought to do it. :blackcloud:

Hope you get better soon, definitely just another tiresome blip.

@Irish471 I am sorry these last 2 wks have been so hard. I hope your relaxing weekend is going well, and here's to an easier week ahead hopefully. :)

@Irish471 I've been pretty much out of touch the last 3 weeks traveling for work and pleasure but it sounds like you're doing good. As far as the cane I took mine with me to travel through airports. It helped with both the long walks and to keep from being run over by rude people. It also helped to board early, I didn't need to for any reason than not being pushed and shoved down the isles, I checked my luggage and didn't need the overhead but not being squeezed into the isles was helpful. If the cane is helpful, use it.

Thanks, everyone! I am glad to report that my relaxation weekend has done my knee good :thumb: I stayed off my feet and took a long nap each day. I have a happy knee. My plan is to get back to my normal work hours this week. We’ll see if I can keep my knee happy this week :praying:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom