TKR Irish471's Recovery Thread

I was referred to an endocrinologist and was diagnosed as having primary Hyperparathyroidism.
I'm glad you listened to your body and you were pro-active in getting this diagnosed. :thumb: :flwrysmile:

I have also had Primary Hyperparathyroidism. The high blood calcium levels it gave me led to me developing multiple kidney stones and my bone density did decrease.

I had the rogue parathyroid glad removed and all is well again.
When I found out the parathyroid disease causes osteoporosis, I got really concerned about the integrity of the knee replacement and bone loss. I am told that my bone density should improve, so I am thankful I caught things now as opposed to later in life.
As my serum calcium levels settled to normal, my bone density increased again and I no longer have any signs of osteoporosis. My bone density scans show as normal for my age now.
 
Hey @Irish471 good to hear you have gotten past your latest health issue. It's been a while since I've posted on the knee side. Turns out dealing with a bad knee for 30 years wore out my hip so I had a hip replacement in December of last year that has had big positive results on my knee. Life looks good looking forward, cheers to you my TKR friend.
 
@Celle , we have yet another thing in common! Thank you for sharing your experience very encouraging! @Jamie , yes, it’s so important to listen to your body. I know doctors hate it when patients google their symptoms, but if I hadn’t, I would have continued on for God knows how long not knowing. @FCBayern , it’s nice to see your post! So glad to hear you’re doing well after your hip replacement
 
Hi Irish! Great to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your health problems. Thank goodness you were pro-active and are now feeling so much better. Hopefully 2020 will be a better year for you.
 
Wow, you have had quite the year. I'm glad you were able to get to the bottom of things and are now feeling MUCH better.

You also have me thinking I should pay more attention to my bloodwork. I get focused on just a few things when there are all sorts of gems of info in there. :)
 
Last week (March 18) marked my one year kneeversary :cheers:

To say that I am glad I did the knee replacement is an understatement. There were lots of ups and downs for the first few months, no doubt about that, but it really has been life changing.

I honestly never think about it much at all. My knee feels a little bit mechanical sometimes, but it has become familiar. In the beginning, it felt completely weird! But you get used to all the little clicks and knocks that it makes. All the painful things I had going on like that pain on the outside back part of the knee subsided. And I am certain that all of the muscle soreness was directly related to the Hyperparathyroid issue I had. Since that surgery, the aches and pains are gone.

The nerves have been growing back, too. One thing that I have noticed when I do feel a pain is that 9 times out of 10, it is nerve related. Shaving brings a lot of odd sensations in different areas, but I know that will go away eventually. It did on my other knee with previous surgeries. That part takes the longest.

While I never got measurements done after my physical therapy ended, I know my range of motion improved over the course of the year. I am even able to get up off the floor now. Lol! One thing I never did try again is kneeling. I just don’t want to take any chances with trying that.

As for the physical therapy, it was definitely a good experience for me. It was tough, but I had the best PT that I trusted 100%. That trust is very important. I did get to the point where my knee needed a break from it and the time to improve on its own. There’s definitely a mind component to your recovery. You do have to let go and trust that knee again. It involved wrapping my mind around it, like doing the descent down the stairs. Baby steps is the way to go. Take one step down and practice, then try two and get comfortable, etc. You’ll get there!

Hiking is something I am definitely going to try again soon. Right now we are sheltering in place in California. We can go outside for exercise, but so many people are doing that and not keeping their distance from one another. So it will just have to wait.

So for all of you out there struggling through recovery, there are definitely better days ahead!! You will be able to sleep well again in your favorite comfortable position, I promise! Your knee will feel good again. Just be gentle and kind to yourself along the way :flwrysmile:
 
So nice to hear how well you are doing! I’m just north of you in Oregon & was prepared for 3 months at home, just didn’t know when I went in that the whole world would be staying home too .
 
What a fantastic and sensible update. Those coming up behind you will be encouraged by your post. It does get better, and you are proof!
 
Back
Top Bottom