Guest viewing is limited

TKR Irish471's Recovery Thread

I had to work on stretching my hamstrings and also massaged the back of my leg with a paint roller. It did help. I still get some pain on the lateral side of the knee, but nowhere near as bad and it's not always when I'm exercising, but comes on after and I massage, ice and use my Tens equivalent on it.
 
@Irish471 have you tried the "Piriformis stretch"? Josephine has an article with pictures in the Library. I just happened to stumble across it last week and recognized the stretch from the pictures. I used to do that back in the '80s - '90s when I was still running. My chiropractor in Cupertino, Bella Delyaei, DC, demoed it for me. I used to do it all the time, but never really knew what I was stretching.

I wasn't sure if it would solve my current hamstring tightness issue but started doing it anyway Wednesday. I do it before and after I walk, like @Jamie suggested. I'm convinced it's helping.
 
Ugh! ODIC! Yesterday and today, I found myself needing to drive for way longer than I have been and it’s painful now on the lateral part of my knee and around the patella. Some of the numb areas I had following surgery are starting to ‘wake up.’ I have to say, given these new tender spots, I preferred being numb :heehee:
It’s something new every week!
 
Eight weeks today! Somehow, it feels much longer than that :heehee:

The knee felt icky most of the weekend, so I took an oxycodone last night and I woke up feeling much better. I've kind of felt like I was stagnant with flexion, but we measured at PT tonight and I'm at 108 :yes!: I still have that weird pain in the back of the knee, unfortunately, but I am glad I've still made more progress despite it. I am able to walk foot over foot going upstairs but am way too scared to try the descent. My PT told me to wait a bit before trying that. Fine with me! I am also making progress on the stationary bike. I started pedaling forward tonight. WOOHOOO! I am really liking the bike and am thinking about investing in one for home.

:biking:
Sending everyone healing thoughts, especially those of you that are newly in recovery!
 
It was a while after I was able to walk upstairs normally that I tried coming down the same way. It's all going in the right direction for you though and it's such a great feeling when we master something new and I find even if I have a couple of days going backwards I get back to the new status quo fairly easily.
 
Congratulations @Irish471 at your 8-week mark and being able to manage your life once again - got a good night's rest, increased flexion, found happiness on an exercise bike. I'm only 1-week out from surgery and it is so encouraging to read positive posts from those who have already gone down this path. Yes, I know that everyone says that they are happy they did this after a year, but that is way too long for me to think about as a goal right now. Eight weeks seems almost doable :dancy:
 
I'd wake up in the middle of the night aching and would get on my recumbent bike for about 5 minutes and the pain would ease up and I could get back to sleep.
 
9 (almost 10) weeks!
This was a brutal week at work. We have quarterly business reviews where management flies in from Asia and Europe for a few days worth of very long meetings. Lucky me, I get to be the ring leader for this circus :heehee: I spent Monday prepping all of the materials and loading all of the presentations into my computers. That entailed lots of up and down activity all day.

I decided to stay overnight at the hotel prior to the first day of meetings. I almost changed my mind because I was concerned about the comfort factor. Being the Pillow Queen, I was worried that I wouldn't have them to help me get comfortable at night. I ended up checking in around 9 pm and I was plenty tired after having worked all day and attending my PT session. I brought gallon freezer bags so that I could ice the knee. Of course, my room happened to be at the opposite end of the floor as the ice machine. I walked all the way there to discover the ice machine was out of order :censored: , so I went down a floor and did the long walk again (too bad elevators weren't at both ends of the hallway!) and was relieved to find that I've machine working. I got back to my room and climbed into bed and then :gaah:, I laid awake, tossing and turning until 2:00 a.m. I was up at 6:00 a.m. and the 11 hour day began. By the end of it, I was beyond exhausted. Hello ODIC, I'm staying for a while!

I did 7 hours on Wednesday and told my PT to go easy on me. He just did massaging, thank God! My daughter had her last choral concert that evening, so we went straight from PT to that and I ended another 11 hour day still in the ODIC! Yesterday, I stuck it out in the office for 7 hours and did absolutely nothing last night. I am working from home today and will see my son graduate with his 2-year degree this evening. So proud of him! Hopefully, I can find a decent seat and won't have to go up into the bleachers :scaredycat:There's no way I could do that!

Overall, my knee has held up remarkably well through all of the activities this week. At the end of the day, it was definitely swollen, but only moderately so. Whenever it swells, I get pain around the kneecap. The one area that used to hurt pre-up is the area that still collects fluid. It's no where near how it used to feel pre-op and is always gone by the morning. I really should try to take a mid-week break instead of going a full 4 days straight, but this week, it just wasn't possible. I am elevating the leg under my desk and I ice at lunchtime and when I get home. On Tuesday, I didn't ice at all until the evening and I set with my leg bent all day with no elevation. That was a true test and it definitely got stiff, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would.

I am trying to wean myself away from the cane. I like to use it because my limp is non-existent with it and my pace is faster. I don't use it at home at all. It was definitely good to have this week for when I got tired and for when I have to be in a crowded place. I am starting to wonder if my legs have a difference in length. A trip to the chiropractor would confirm that, but I am not sure I want to go through that yet. I am afraid of having anyone bend my legs while I lay on the table due to the limits of flexion.

My patience with this recovery has been trying, for sure! I am really longing to go back to walking and hiking for exercise this summer. I know I will get frustrated if I hit limits with that, which I am sure I would at this point. But I have to start somewhere, right?!?! I am probably doing quite a lot of walking already during the day, but since it's broken up throughout the day, it's hard to gauge.

I am still learning to walk that fine line of overdoing it. :kickedout: To everyone here in the U.S. , have a great three-day holiday weekend!
 
Last edited:
Interesting about the numb spots, mine are both sides of the knee cap. I hope they wake up. I'm 3 weeks today!
 
@julieskan, the numb areas will "wake up", but it will take a while. I can now just barely feel my hand when I touch the numb areas on my right knee, but it's an odd sensation. It took a year before the numb areas on my left knee went away. It's never 100% back to the way it was pre-op....it's just different, for lack of a better word.
 
@Irish471 I use to use a fitbit to make sure I did 10-12000 steps daily before all my knee problems. In a couple of months time I am going to bring it back in service to make sure I DON'T do too much on my baby knee. Just a thought that pedometer or fitness tracker might help you gauge when you are about to join the EDIC. :walking:
 
@lisabl , yes, I have a fitbit. Thank you for reminding me! It needs to be charged :heehee: I am guessing I am doing around 3,500 steps a day which is nowhere near the recommended 10,000. It's still a good way to gauge and compare with how my knee reacts.
 
I am guessing I am doing around 3,500 steps a day which is nowhere near the recommended 10,000.
I think 10,000 steps is for when your knee is completely healed, not now, when it's not even 3 months into recovery.
 
I think 10,000 steps is for when your knee is completely healed, not now, when it's not even 3 months into recovery.
I'd say so. A mile is just a little over 2000 steps for me. If I walked 5 miles at this point, I'd be a basket case, and I'm 11 weeks post op. I walked a 1 and 1/4 miles one day last week and I was out of commission from hamstring cramps for 3 days.
 
@Irish471 You definitely had a trying week for that knee, didn't you??!!! Your story of changing hotel floors to get to the ice machine made me cringe!!!:thud: Isn't it a pain when you're trying to do the right thing and take care of yourself, but then things go sideways and are even harder? I'm glad the knee held up all week though and you were able to attend everything you wanted. I hope you also enjoy your holiday weekend and the knee bounces back quickly.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom