Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Instability Question

@Pumpkln - do you mind if I ask you - how long can you stand on this knee/leg? One of my biggest issues is just standing. The longer I stand the more pain. it's like pressure in my knee and then pain all through - especially top of my tibia. I guess the lax ligaments are to blame...
Does this hinged knee of yours help you stand?
 
I have no idea of how long I can stand, I do know a half an hour + is no problem. It will take you awhile to get there, 3 months+ you should be able to tolerate standing for longer and longer times.
 
that thing looks more like a LEG replacement than a KNEE replacement!!
No, rah - THIS is a whole leg replacement!

[Bonesmart.org] Instability Question
 
ok - so. I asked my OS's PA a few questions on line and got some answers!

I asked if a hinged implant was what I was getting or just an option.. response:
"1) A hinged implant for your surgery will be available for Dr Lee if he finds that the ligaments are insufficient to provide the amount of stability that you need. It is an extra constraint to the system that allows for more instability. Therefore, if he feels that the ligaments themselves have been too stretched or too compromised then that is what he will likely use for your revision."

I asked about bracing:
"2) Dr Lee had recommended a functional ACL brace which protects against anterior/posterior translation of the replacement. I'm happy to provide you with a prescription for this type of brace if you'd like to try it."

I asked about traveling abroad ( my wife and I have plans to go to England around 4th of July):
"3) On July 4th, you will be about 2½ months post surgery so we can clear you to travel.
Please let us know if you have any further questions."

I guess this all sounds ok - glad they are answering questions!
rah
 
I'm glad your surgeon's PA answered those questions for you. That was helpful.

A word of caution about travelling abroad in early July: Although your surgeon will probably clear you for that, your knee will still be very early in its year-long recovery. You'll be able to walk around , but you'll probably still need to rest, and elevate your leg for some time every day. Try not to plan anything too energetic and, if you can, alternate an active day with a more restful day. Expect your knee to swell, if you do too much for it.

Here's an article about flying soon after surgery:
Flying soon after surgery

One more thing - check whether your new knee will be covered by your travel insurance. Some companies won't provide cover for recent surgeries.
 
thanks @Celle.
So - if it's NOT a hinged knee... what do they use? I mean the reason I'm doing this is because, apparently, the ligaments in question are too weak..... is there another type of replacement other than a hinged that helps with this?

rah
 
I think that's a question that @Josephine is best qualified to answer, Rah.

I believe that @Pumpkln has a hinged knee. She may be able to tell you more about that.
 
So - if it's NOT a hinged knee... what do they use? I mean the reason I'm doing this is because, apparently, the ligaments in question are too weak..... is there another type of replacement other than a hinged that helps with this?
rah, do try not to get too anxious about this. I know you want to understand it but sometimes there are things we just cannot understand and have to take on faith that the surgeons know what they are doing.

So far as the choice of implants, there are literally hundreds of different devices on the market and many of them are designed to deal with specific issues such as these. So I suggest you leave them to your surgeon as he is the one you are paying to big bucks to, particularly to make these decisions. To use another and well-worn chiché - why keep a dog and bark yourself!
 
rah, do try not to get too anxious about this.
I know @Josephine but ... as you know ... I've had some pretty bad experiences with doc's I thought I could trust so I find it difficult to trust almost anyone in the health field over here these days - especially Orthopedic Surgeons!
why keep a dog and bark yourself!
LOL! I don't know this one - but I like it!!!

rah
 
Never heard it before? It's an old joke in the UK
no - must be a UK thing. I stream a lot of UK TV too. We're on the next to last season of "Midsomer Murders". My wife and I are starting to write down some of the expressions we never heard before. lol! :-)
I prefer British and even Australian TV over US shows. They just seem more "real".
 
Oh I loved Misomer Murders but it wasn't quite the same when the lead actor (John Nettles, one time Bergerac) changed.

I'm presently watching a channel called MyTV which is shown in the US also. I found it about 4 years ago when it was halfway through a biblical miniseries called "Joseph of Egypt". Superb. If you read it on IMDB, all the reviews and synopses on there are mine! After that came two shorter series "King David" and "Queen Esther". I am now watching a miniseries that is running 5 nights a week for the whole of 2019, called "Moses and the Ten Commandments". They are very classy productions even though they are dubbed into English. Costumes, settings, editing, music and acting. According to IMDB they have all won the Brazilian versions of Oscars! Well deserved too in my opinion!
 
Well everyone - @Josephine, Celle, Pumpkln - looks like I'm going through it again. Surgery date this coming Monday April 22nd. Wish me luck!

thanks,
rah
 
I hope all goes really well for you!
 
@rah2435 - Just to be sure I get it correct when editing your signature, please will you confirm whether it is your right knee or your left knee that is being revised? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

I'm glad you have a date and I hope it all goes well.
 
your right knee or your left knee that is being revised?
It's the left. this is the second revision to this knee. The first revision was a poly swap in 2015.
 
just got home today - surgery went well. Doc told me ligaments seemed even more lax when I was under. Anyway - he replace by femoral component with something that digs deeper into the bone - not too much though. He said the tibial component was fine so he left that - new poly - he told me I should be really happy with this - it should be a LOT more stable. I have to wear a stiff brace for one week - no bending. He told me he does this to let the soft tissue heal - especially since it's been opened before. He also told me not to let PT push me right away. Need to heal first, get brace off, then work on ROM. Pretty good methinks.
So - I don't know yet how good or bad it will be - it's all locked up for now. Pain is tolerable.

rah
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom