Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Instability Question

Welcome to the healing side again! I wish you weren't feeling so anxious because everything you shared sounds so normal. Expecting your recovery to be on the fast track is wishful thinking, you will need to lower your expectations as you heal from the trauma of surgery and take it slow. Soreness, swelling and bruising are normal, so don't let it alarm you, or allow your mind to create unrealistic scenarios. Good to read that you're taking the meds rather than struggling in pain. It is very early days for you at not even one week post op. Try to sit back and take it all in stride. I'll bet you do great! :yes:
Hope your evening is a peaceful one, rah!
@rah2435
 
I think most of us are guilty about thinking a "lesser" surgery should be a much faster and easier recovery. I wish it was that simple. Most people I know in that situation find it to be untrue, regardless of the body part. I'm sorry you are hurting so much, and I'm glad you went ahead and took the Vicodin for some relief. We can't heal if we're miserable and not resting, so remind yourself that rest and less pain are GOOD things.
 
I'm just about a month out now and recovery seems to be going well. Range of motion is fantastic. Less pain.
I have been getting some swelling in my ankle and foot. A good bit actually. This seems to be coinciding with me finally sitting at my desk longer and bring my legs down more. I'm elevating again and icing, but this swelling in my ankle and foot is concerning. There less in my knee that in my ankle!
I did stand for almost 3 hours on Tuesday to vote. That was unreal! I kept leaning on the walls and shifting my weight from one leg to the other. I was determined to make it though - and i did. I could hardly bend my leg coming home. Iced and elevated right away.

Good news is my new spacer does seem to be making my leg more stable. I can really feel that extra plastic in there though. Yuck!
Going to start outside PT next week I think.

Any ideas about ankle/foot swelling?

thanks all.
 
A very normal problem!

Most of us experience pain and stiffness, with or without swelling, with prolonged sitting or standing for a few months post op.

I coped with it by figuring out my sitting comfort time and setting a timer. It was initially five minutes, then ten, etc.

During my first two months I needed to ice and elevate after the timer went off. After that, just getting up and walking a few minutes was enough. However, with the swelling you're experiencing, ice and elevating "toes above nose" for a minimum of 45 minutes several times daily is essential.
 
Thanks @mendogal. Weird that me ankle is swollen more than me knee. My knee is still a bit swollen and warm to the touch - I do accept that this is normal.
 
Again, many members have reported ongoing ankle swelling beyond even 2 - 3 months.
 
did stand for almost 3 hours on Tuesday to vote. That was unreal! I kept leaning on the walls and shifting my weight from one leg to the other. I
Not surprised you have swelling. There is no way I could have done that at your stage. I have a little light foldable camping chair that my husband kindly carried when we went a few days ago to a fireworks show for Bonfire night- so I didn't have to stand for hours. And I am 2 years out. They are really cheap and I would definitely get one if you have to do any more prolonged standing.
 
Thanks @Layla. yes one month.

Knee is looking a LOT better. Still some swelling but not nearly like it was two weeks ago.
It is still warm and sore around the knee..but.. one month! I guess that's ok.

Thanks everyone.
 
Yes - ok!
As long as the warmth isn't accompanied by redness, drainage, and marked localized pain ... warm to the touch, warmer than the other knee can easily persist for up to a year.
 
Good to hear from you, rah!
Glad to read your knee is looking better and the swelling is easing.
The increased blood flow to the area results in the warmth. Swelling and redness are often experienced also. As the healing process progresses, the warmth, swelling and redness dissipate.
I hope this week is a good one for you!
@rah2435
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, rah!
The best to you and yours as you celebrate the holiday season! :wreath:
@rah2435
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom