Revision TKR Instability Question

Well - I see my OS tomorrow. supposed to get staples out. This is going slow! I can hardly put my weight on this knee, using crutches to get around. Can Just about make it to 90. Straightening it is also tough- not sure where I am at.
The rash from the adhesive is really getting in my way. It itches and burns. Ugh!
My wife wants me to take a 4+ car ride with her this weekend - I can hardly get to the bathroom!
I'm glad you stopped putting the antibiotic cream on your rash.
When you see your surgeon, ask him/her for something to help calm it down - such as a steroid cream.

I'm not sure if you've done this or not, but if you haven't the whole area of the rash should be washed gently, with a mild soap and water, to make sure that all traces of the adhesive to which you reacted have been removed. Pat the area gently with a soft towel, to dry it afterwards.

No, you're definitely not ready for a long car ride yet.
Your job for the first month post-op is to rest, ice, elevate, medicate on time, walk a little, and not do anything that will stress your new knee.
 
the whole area of the rash should be washed gently, with a mild soap and water, to make sure that all traces of the adhesive to which you reacted have been removed. Pat the area gently with a soft towel, to dry it afterwards.
i did this just now after reading your post. thanks!!

rah
 
I had something similar but from Steristrips. I treated them with a cream called Anthisan which contains mepyrmine maleate. No prescription required.
 
I see my OS today. Wish me luck! I can hardly put weight on this leg....just over two weeks out I guess that's understandable. I don't know how I'm going to navigate to his office.... oh well.

rah
 
Are you still using your walker? You can lean on that more than usual. I also used mine to prop up on in my OS's office.
 
The crutches should help keep your weight off of your knee. What did you doctor say?
 
What did you doctor say?
Doc switched me from crutches to a cane. He said everything was fine. That my leg is going to be stiff and feel different. But - he wants me to move and slowly get back to my daily life. He was great. He took the time to show me how to walk correctly, walked with me even. It was funny - at one point he had me slam my foot down as hard as I could. So I can tell that the knee is solid and not going to break I suppose. Not to be afraid of it.
Overall a very positive visit.

thanks for asking!

rah
 
I like that he was so reassuring, but I don’t like that he had you slam your foot down like that, but I guess it did prove a point. I hope you don’t have any painful repercussions.

But, onward with more confidence in your new knee!
 
I don’t like that he had you slam your foot down like that
I hear ya - kind of an extreme way to make a point. I guess he saw the fear in me. lol!

BTW - the subject of icing was brought up today with my PT. There's some controversy over this. I know Bonesmart's belief is to ice as long as you want as long as you cover your skin..... PT says no more than 20 minutes per hour or you get "hunting's reaction" whereby the tissue actually starts to swell more!

Just thought I'd through that in for you guys :-)

rah
 
We’ve heard that icing opinion. It’s just an opinion. Surgical swelling is different than an injury swelling. Do what you are comfortable doing.

Did you have any repercussions from stamping your foot?
 
Most of us are proof that you can ice as long as you want to. We've tried the 20 minute thing and found that we swell more than when we do the icing at least twice that much. But, you have to do what's working for you!
 
Did you have any repercussions from stamping your foot?
My knee was really sore when I got home last night, but otherwise no
I's a good bit better this morning. Just did some gentle PT and feel ok.
The doc told me that it is going to feel stiff. He expected this. The revision he did, which included replacing the femoral component and the spacer, was performed in such a way as to help with the lax ligaments in front of my knee. He positioned things, as I understand it, in a way to help compensate for the lax ligaments and give me a sturdier knee.
 
you have to do what's working for you!
totally agree. It's finding what works for you that can be a challenge. There is so much information out there - so many people disagree on the amount and type of PT, breaking up scar tissue, resting vs. moving, you name it....
So many opposing opinions. My PT was ADAMANT about not icing more than 20 minutes per hour. I watched some of JRAD and saw the bonesmart rep. say just the opposite.
??
Yes - you need to find what works for you.
 
The only comment I'd have to the PT that says only 20 minutes of icing, is to ask him/her if they had actually experienced both ways themselves. PT is just saying what they were taught. Things change through the years. Of course, what's right today is might be wrong tomorrow. It's amazing how fast things change.
 
What did your surgeon say about the rash? And how is it now?
He didn't say much about it other than it's not uncommon since i had that gel stuff on for over a week. It appears to be slowly clearing up.
I had to drive into work today to pick up my new computer access card. Doc gave me the ok to drive so I drove in myself. about 30 minute drive, had to walk from parking spot to bldg, luckily didn't have to wait in line to get access card, drove to another building to get my building clearance, then home. I took my hydrocodone (norco?) before I left but - I was and am still in P-A-I-N from this. I just started using a cane (from crutches) and putting weight on the leg Wednesday. I suppose that's the issue - not used to putting my weight on it. The first few steps are VERY awkward. Once I get moving it's seems a bit easier does this make sense?
Still in aching pain. Took another Norco when I got home.

disappointed.

rah
 
For less than a month out, you are doing fantastic. You have no reason to be disappointed. I wasn't able to drive before my 7th week out, here you are driving at less than 3 weeks. WOW! Of course, every knee is different. Enjoy your successes.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom